Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 3 Post By gundoc
  • 1 Post By grandpamac
  • 1 Post By zimmer
  • 1 Post By grandpamac

Thread: More .303 markings

More .303 markings

Rather than jump in on the other 303 thread I would like some help here on my old girl.
    It is a P14
    From what I can glean from the web it is before the * (star) modification and so is early 1916 manufacture out of the ERA factory. It has the smaller ( I guess ) lug as well. It has all matching numbers ( even the ladder sight is numbered to the rifle ) some parts have just an E on them. Any more history would be greatly recieved.
    It shoots pretty well at 300 yds ...havent shot any further yet with that greek ammo.

Its in a cut down stock unfortunately, would I be best to leave as is or try and find original wood for it?

Name:  IMG_4783.JPG
Views: 757
Size:  2.59 MB

Name:  IMG_4784.JPG
Views: 491
Size:  2.19 MB

Name:  IMG_4788.JPG
Views: 505
Size:  2.33 MB

It has a very low serial number! It appears to be a standard ERA (Eddystone Remington Arms) P14 made for the UK WW1 contract. It has been subsequently been sold out of service and been commercially reproofed at Birmingham sometime after 1955. BSA and some other makers offered sporting rifles based on reworked P14's which were required to undergo reproof before sale.
    johnd, Mauser308 and Micky Duck like this.

@gundoc thanks for that...what part tells you about the 1955? I get the bit about showing the length (2.222 ) and the 18 tonnes being the proof mark required for SoS
    I love the low serial number I tell mates its part of the original inventory prior to the general acceptance ....just for shits and giggles.

The BNP and Crown proof mark was introduced for the Birmingham Proof House in 1955.

Gotcha.... good to know

Greetings All,
    To give some more info on how early the rifle is Eddystone made some 450,000 P14 rifles and close to a further 1,200,000 M17 rifles. M17 Enfields were the P14 adapted to fire the .30-06 cartridge.
    Grandpamac.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by grandpamac View Post
    Greetings All,
    To give some more info on how early the rifle is Eddystone made some 450,000 P14 rifles and close to a further 1,200,000 M17 rifles. M17 Enfields were the P14 adapted to fire the .30-06 cartridge.
    Grandpamac.
    Slightly OT but mention could also be made of the P13 in .276 Enfield that the British were developing just prior to WWI. With onset of WWI development was dropped in favour or continuing with the 303B and subsequently the P14 was an outcome.

With the US entry into WWI and the shortages of the Springfield rifle the Yanks "borrowed" the design of the P14 and hence the M17.
    grandpamac likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Slightly OT but mention could also be made of the P13 in .276 Enfield that the British were developing just prior to WWI. With onset of WWI development was dropped in favour or continuing with the 303B and subsequently the P14 was an outcome.

With the US entry into WWI and the shortages of the Springfield rifle the Yanks "borrowed" the design of the P14 and hence the M17.
    And Remington kept using the design in their model 30, 30S and 720 rifles until about 1942. When I look at the bolt shroud on my M700 rifles it looks vaguely familiar, rather like the P14, and there is the safety on the right hand side of the bolt, just like the P14. Perhaps the ghost of the P14 is with us still.
    Grandpamac.
    Micky Duck likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by johnd View Post
    ....................Its in a cut down stock unfortunately, would I be best to leave as is or try and find original wood for it?
    I wish you luck with that quest especially as you would also be looking for the lobbing sites as my Winchester, from midway during their production still has hers..

If I could fit it to a fatboy stock would it have good resale being an early number? I know from some reports that the ERA's were fitted with R stocks at some stage when numbers couldn't keep pace, so that could be another source. I just dont know if all that actually adds value? I really just want to shoot it in its authentic form but will be happy to trundle it out anyways.

If serious about getting it back into near original wood................. https://tinyurl.com/yxe3kroo

Thanks for that I will catch up with him at the Tauranga gun show. Not phased if it sells before, I can always go for the WRS look.
    I would hope I could get the rear part at the same time to go down that road.