Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 1 Post By northdude
  • 1 Post By keneff
  • 2 Post By SCOTT1975
  • 1 Post By Rees
  • 1 Post By Micky Duck
  • 2 Post By 7x64
  • 2 Post By Micky Duck

Thread: the Mossberg Patriot- its common in NZ, tell me about it.

the Mossberg Patriot- its common in NZ, tell me about it.

from my researching an visual observations the Mossberg Patriot is a common pick for alot of blokes getting into Deer hunting , guys stepping up Calibres to do a handful of hunts a year and total newbie shooters-- an there aint nuttin wrong with that.
    but i rekon if there was much of a Issue with anything on the Patriot then someone on here would of had something happen and know/explain first hand what they dislike about it- this is not to note how much plastic they are made from or your own personal dislike for mossberg brand
    hoping to hear from Owners and shooters of the Mossy Patriots and chasing your opinion on it an how it may shoot ETC

thanks gents

northdude
    Dont own one of them but got a ruger american in 3006 which probably falls into the same price bracket and its a good ridle for what it is good adjustable trigger and is paretty accurate with factory ammo just cant ahoot long strings as barrel heats up fast
    Rees likes this.

Never owned or shot one, but I do know a young fella who has one (his first centrefire) and he has so far taken 4 fallow with it. He says he likes it a lot.
    Rees likes this.
    Used to be a fine wine - now I'm vinegar.

I have owned four MOSSBERGS over the last few years and still have one. Here is a rundown on the rifles. First was a 4X4 in 30-06. Nice gun, shot 1-2 moa on factory ammo. Laminate stock and Marinecoat finish, Mossbergs version of ceracoat. Better than blued, not as good as stainless IMO. I got this for less than $500 NIB. sold it years later and made a profit. Second was a MVP VARMINT in 223 Heavy fluted 24" barrel, shot 1/2 MOA with several factory loads. The MVP Series of rifles accept AR-10/AR15 mags. Great for those who have an AR too. Third was an MVP PATROL in 308 w a 16.5 inch BULL BARREL. Accuate but heavyish rifle when scoped with the bull barrel. Great bush gun (scope off) with awesome scout style (foward mounted) factory iron sights. The front sight is a naturally illuminated fibe optic one. It is fantastic, easy to acquire and fast to shoot. The last one a 4X4 in 300 WIN MAG. 24" Sporter barrel, gets hot after more than 4 rounds, not likely or nessacary in any hunting situation. OVERALL COMMENTS - Newer models have the LBA TRIGGER (bladed trigger like some of the Remingtons). It is adjustable and better than the earlier triggers. These guns and MOSSBERG as a brand have been snubbed and snobbed by BRAND BUNNIES. MOSSBERG was for a long time regard highly only for their shotguns. This should no longer be the case, and is changing, albeit slowed by the BRAND WANK BRIGADE. I have no issues whatsoever with all four and have only moved them on bar one as I wanted the cash to spend on an expensive scope. The Patriot has several reviews on youtube and it appears that the quality is of a similiar standard. The fit and finish is not as good as a HOWA, TIKKA (more $$$) or any of the more expensive brands but it is perfectly functional and they shoot well. For the money they are good value. good bang for your buck. I currently have a Ruger American in 30-06 and whilst it is ok and shoots ok, overall I am kicking myself that I disposed of my MOSSY. Better stock by far, and side by side the MOSSY spanked it, bar the trigger
    Micky Duck and Rees like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SCOTT1975 View Post
    I have owned four MOSSBERGS over the last few years and still have one. Here is a rundown on the rifles. First was a 4X4 in 30-06. Nice gun, shot 1-2 moa on factory ammo. Laminate stock and Marinecoat finish, Mossbergs version of ceracoat. Better than blued, not as good as stainless IMO. I got this for less than $500 NIB. sold it years later and made a profit. Second was a MVP VARMINT in 223 Heavy fluted 24" barrel, shot 1/2 MOA with several factory loads. The MVP Series of rifles accept AR-10/AR15 mags. Great for those who have an AR too. Third was an MVP PATROL in 308 w a 16.5 inch BULL BARREL. Accuate but heavyish rifle when scoped with the bull barrel. Great bush gun (scope off) with awesome scout style (foward mounted) factory iron sights. The front sight is a naturally illuminated fibe optic one. It is fantastic, easy to acquire and fast to shoot. The last one a 4X4 in 300 WIN MAG. 24" Sporter barrel, gets hot after more than 4 rounds, not likely or nessacary in any hunting situation. OVERALL COMMENTS - Newer models have the LBA TRIGGER (bladed trigger like some of the Remingtons). It is adjustable and better than the earlier triggers. These guns and MOSSBERG as a brand have been snubbed and snobbed by BRAND BUNNIES. MOSSBERG was for a long time regard highly only for their shotguns. This should no longer be the case, and is changing, albeit slowed by the BRAND WANK BRIGADE. I have no issues whatsoever with all four and have only moved them on bar one as I wanted the cash to spend on an expensive scope. The Patriot has several reviews on youtube and it appears that the quality is of a similiar standard. The fit and finish is not as good as a HOWA, TIKKA (more $$$) or any of the more expensive brands but it is perfectly functional and they shoot well. For the money they are good value. good bang for your buck. I currently have a Ruger American in 30-06 and whilst it is ok and shoots ok, overall I am kicking myself that I disposed of my MOSSY. Better stock by far, and side by side the MOSSY spanked it, bar the trigger
    pm inbound matey- appreciate that reply! eggzachery what i was after.

Well Gents, I cant fault my Patriot at this stage- no idea on Accuracy as ive only chased a few holes around on paper to sight it in down in the Valley, then took a few animals with it the following days-
    the trigger is sweet as, the weight isnt too bad at all thanks to the plastic bits!
    barrel would heat up being fluted an what not but ive only punched 3 in a row once.

happy days so far
    Micky Duck likes this.

BRAND WANK BRIGADE....love it
    how many thousands of pump action shotguns are in use around the country??? and the mossberg ones have always had a good name,far better/easier to use than the mavericks with better saftey location.
    you go shoot you some animals Rees and know that when youve finished your rifle will still be worth roughly as much as you paid LOL.
    Rees likes this.

Life’s too short to own ugly guns....
    223nut and ChrisW like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7x64 View Post
    Life’s too short to own ugly guns....
    hahaha- i got plenty beautiful guns, back in Aussie.
    i needed a shit kicker for NZ Alps... an i found it

yip they might be like nifty fifties and fat sheilahs....loads of fun but dont tell ya mates about them
    Im happy to own any rifle that fits the bill,a work horse is better than a show pony.
    viper and Rees like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    yip they might be like nifty fifties and fat sheilahs....loads of fun but dont tell ya mates about them
    Im happy to own any rifle that fits the bill,a work horse is better than a show pony.
    hahaha Thats a fair call too Bro!

Walking my rifle
    I got 2 mossbergs.

ATR100 with walnut stock in 308 and the Patriot with Synthetic stock in 243.

Have had the 308 for 3 years i think and the patriot for about 2 years.

The 308 i bedded and adjusted the trigger as low as it will go. For the first 2 years or so i used a 168 amax lod, it shot 0.5 moa all day and sometimes 3 in 1 hole but after 3 shots the barrel is hot which is fine for a hunting rifle, i have never had any issues with it and i have shot deer out to 400 yards with it and targets like steel plate out to maybe 800 yards consistently with a few lucky shots at 1200 yards. I have other more expensive guns, but the old 308 is always the one i grab. However, i have now zeroed it with a supressor and will only be using it for shooting on farms etc. I will for 2019 onwards use the 243 Patriot as my hunting rifle, i used to use it for long range shooting as well as shooting goats and rabbits, for this i had it in a Boyds thumbhole stock, i bedded it in this stock as well. It shoots the 87gr Vmax at 3200fps a consistent 0.3-0.6 moa out to 850 yards, i shot it a few times out to 1000 yards and it grouped about 1moa. With this load in the plastic stock it was doing about 0.5moa, i have now switched it back to the plastic stock and loaded some 100gr sierra pro hunters to use this year, it shoots these at 0.5-0.7 moa but only fired about 10 groups so far of 3 shots each, same thing also the barrel is hot after 3 rounds. I no longer need it for LR shooting as i have a long bull barrel rifle for that now.

I would highly reccomend the Patriot in any stock option, and the ATR in walnut as the ATR plastic stock is too flimsy.

All mossberg rifles from the ATR onwards are pretty good i feel, the older ones were called Mossberg Maverick and they were made in Mexico where the ATR onwards is made in USA

The Patriot in 6.5CM cut down to 18" would be a pretty sweet "poor mans bushpig" and still be OK on deer out to 500 yards or so.

I will have a look when i strip down one of my Howas again but i have been told the mossberg and Howa triggers are inrerchangeable, if so then you have an option should you not want to use the LBA trigger, i like the LBA though.