Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Cooee Black Watch


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Multi Use scopes

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Invervegas
    Posts
    3,193

    Multi Use scopes

    Being poor (and with deep pockets and short arms) I've always looked longingly at the $2K plus scopes but have never been able to justify one to myself (much less the better half).

    However if the one scope was used on two "competition rifles" maybe it would make some sense to get into a NF or Kahles . . .

    So - is anybody swapping their scope from their CF comp rifle to their RF etc and how does it work out??

    Here I can shoot RF at home so checking zero going one way is fine but the other way would be dependent on notes for settings and mechanical repeatability (mainly of rings/rail)

  2. #2
    Member andyanimal31's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Taihape
    Posts
    2,557
    Quality rings with a torque wrench and off sets for one rifle in your ballistics app and your good to.
    Common practice these days

    Sent from my SM-A025F using Tapatalk
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

  3. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    helensville nz
    Posts
    3,592
    yeah mate good quality rings torque wrench to get them exactly the same every time
    and a good quality rail on both rifles

    then you just need to workout the offsets and your golden

  4. #4
    A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Less than 130 km from the sea
    Posts
    552
    Nice idea in theory, but in practice, ammo is costly, range time is valuable, and chance of shooting an animal is priceless. The cost of your scope swapping not being exact is just too great. Do you really want to rely on a torque wrench and some notes?

    Similarly, CZ 455 and Sako quad's barrel change is a good idea in theory, but in practice without shooting live round you just cannot trust that you can re-zero them blind.

    Get one nice scope, use it on one rifle for a couple of years and then rotate through your arsenal.
    norsk likes this.

  5. #5
    Member rossi.45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Central Otago
    Posts
    1,158
    interesting idea that could work for you . . my 1st thought is do it, whats the worst that can happen, you have a new scope.
    A problem could be practice time, how often do you guys practice ?
    i dont see ammo use as a problem, it will get so you can get a new zero in a couple of shots.
    2k would get you a 2nd hand NF, not sure on a Khales . . any particular magnification range ?
    good luck . . R
    without a picture . .. it never happened !

  6. #6
    Member buzzman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    taihape
    Posts
    2,637
    Slightly different but I know lots of people who which between day and night scopes with no problems,as Andy said I run nightforce rings with a torque wrench cheers


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Invervegas
    Posts
    3,193
    Quote Originally Posted by buzzman View Post
    Slightly different but I know lots of people who which between day and night scopes with no problems,as Andy said I run nightforce rings with a torque wrench cheers


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yes - its this scenario that made me think it might work these days, things certainly change in the gun world, and unless you were prepared to pay for something like the Blaser system I wouldn't have considered it 15 years ago.
    buzzman likes this.

  8. #8
    Member Beetroot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Morrinsville
    Posts
    2,320
    I've run some tests and found multiple brands of rings return to zero perfectly.
    I've switched the scopes around on my rifles multiple times now without issue.
    If you had an import hunt or competition it'd pay to confirm zero on paper again but for rabbit shooting and casual target shooting I'm happy to switch my scopes back and forth.

    My favorite rings are the Nightforce Ultralites, I just wish they weren't so stupidly priced.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Invervegas
    Posts
    3,193
    Quote Originally Posted by Beetroot View Post
    I've run some tests and found multiple brands of rings return to zero perfectly.
    I've switched the scopes around on my rifles multiple times now without issue.
    If you had an import hunt or competition it'd pay to confirm zero on paper again but for rabbit shooting and casual target shooting I'm happy to switch my scopes back and forth.

    My favorite rings are the Nightforce Ultralites, I just wish they weren't so stupidly priced.
    Thanks, It wouldn't be very smart to cheap out on rings for this sort of scenario anyway . . .

  10. #10
    Member Beetroot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Morrinsville
    Posts
    2,320
    Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Thanks, It wouldn't be very smart to cheap out on rings for this sort of scenario anyway . . .
    I don't buy into the hype of needing to have $400-$700 rings, and the tests I did didn't reflect that either.
    A set of $200 Contessa rings performed pretty much the same as the NF rings, the NF rings are just easier due to the single screw mounting.

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Waikato
    Posts
    1,806
    Good old Leupold qr rings are pretty good,think Wheeler do a torque wrench for guns and scope screws.

  12. #12
    MSL
    MSL is offline
    Member MSL's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Waikato
    Posts
    5,573
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultimitsu View Post
    Nice idea in theory, but in practice, ammo is costly, range time is valuable, and chance of shooting an animal is priceless. The cost of your scope swapping not being exact is just too great. Do you really want to rely on a torque wrench and some notes?

    Similarly, CZ 455 and Sako quad's barrel change is a good idea in theory, but in practice without shooting live round you just cannot trust that you can re-zero them blind.

    Get one nice scope, use it on one rifle for a couple of years and then rotate through your arsenal.
    Tell me more about things you know fuck all about.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Beetroot and A330driver like this.

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Waikato
    Posts
    1,806
    I swap scopes in Leupold qr rings on my deer rifle,from a 3-9 swaro for longer range,to a Leupold 1-4 for bush hunting,to a red dot in Steiner 30mm rings for the real tight stuff(kaimais and lake tarawera ) to open sights when the weather is real crap and never worry about poi difference as my testing has showed they all go back to within an inch @ 100 m,all on a sako A7.I’m a bush hunter mostly and have never shot at a deer over 100 m.
    Bagheera likes this.

  14. #14
    Member scotty's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    the old cheese factory
    Posts
    1,918
    Quote Originally Posted by hamsav View Post
    What torque are we talking here?
    I have a warren brown torque wrench that is in inch pounds ( ľinch drive ) but would like a correct for rifles screwdriver torque ......driver . Where does one find such a thing ?
    @hamsav wheelers generic torque settings ....im guessing high end scopes and rings would have their own recommended torque settings
    Name:  manual viewer.jpeg
Views: 107
Size:  3.07 MB

  15. #15
    Member norsk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    1,737
    Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Being poor (and with deep pockets and short arms) I've always looked longingly at the $2K plus scopes but have never been able to justify one to myself (much less the better half).

    However if the one scope was used on two "competition rifles" maybe it would make some sense to get into a NF or Kahles . . .

    So - is anybody swapping their scope from their CF comp rifle to their RF etc and how does it work out??

    Here I can shoot RF at home so checking zero going one way is fine but the other way would be dependent on notes for settings and mechanical repeatability (mainly of rings/rail)
    The funny thing about high quality glass,is literally discovering what you have been missing.
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. 3 gun/multi gun
    By Redaxler in forum Shooting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-10-2020, 07:38 AM
  2. Multi day hike in day bag, how t do it?
    By rusl in forum Gear and Equipment
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 05-04-2019, 03:21 PM
  3. 3 gun/ multi gun rigs
    By Rock river arms hunter in forum Firearms, Optics and Accessories
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 21-08-2018, 04:39 PM
  4. Best ever multi-tool?
    By hotbarrels in forum Gear and Equipment
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-05-2018, 08:45 PM
  5. South Island Multi gun
    By specweapon in forum Pistol Shooting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 12-01-2018, 08:06 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!