Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree10Likes
  • 2 Post By Savage1
  • 2 Post By Ryan_Songhurst
  • 1 Post By Maca49
  • 1 Post By Ranger 888
  • 1 Post By XR500
  • 1 Post By csmiffy
  • 2 Post By grandpamac

Thread: My 22 somehow got a bulge in the barrel.

My 22 somehow got a bulge in the barrel.

Just found my trusty JW15 22 somehow has a bulge about 100mm from the end of the barrel. Was shooting like crap over the last 2 days so I thought I'd give it a full on clean at home, I felt it when I was running a rod through and looking down the outside of the barrel there is a definite shoulder like some ones used a plumbers tool. Not sure how it got there, I run a snake through before and after shooting but I suspect it may have been the crap ammo I was using up. I did have a squib shot but checked the barrel to see if it was clear before carrying on. Any one had this happen?
    Looks like the barrel's going to have to get the chop and hopefully it will still shoot ok.

Chop it back if you can.
    Cordite and caberslash like this.

Yes, had a squib ruin my 2E and caused a very slight bulge could feel running hand down the barrel, I could also see I side the barrel it had created a ring where the heat and pressure of the two projectiles coming together had been. It shot like a shotgun also, chopped it back and it's good as gold
    Steve123 and Cordite like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Shooting eels under water does that as well. My uncle had a Winchester, hex barrel, pump, with a perfect bulge half way down
    Moa Hunter likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Yes, had a squib ruin my 2E and caused a very slight bulge could feel running hand down the barrel, I could also see I side the barrel it had created a ring where the heat and pressure of the two projectiles coming together had been. It shot like a shotgun also, chopped it back and it's good as gold
    Yeah I can see the ring inside when I look down from the muzzle end. Looks like its gonna be a shorty.

Whoa...in some cases, it doesn't affect accuracy. Check before you chop.
    20 Bore likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Shooting eels under water does that as well. My uncle had a Winchester, hex barrel, pump, with a perfect bulge half way down
    I managed several years of eel collecting using a 10/22 and a big home made suppressor. Never bulged the barrel at all.
    Moa Hunter likes this.

MSL
    Got a Remington pump that father taught me to shoot eels with, no bulge though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Saw this happen with a 12gauge 20+ years ago. Was a nice gun until that fateful night. Still remember it like yesterday

One of my older uncles (RIP) told me many years ago the trick was to put the whole rifle under. The bulge is apparently right on the water line. If the whole thing is under the pressure is equalized so to speak.
    Steve123 likes this.

Just cut it back behind the bulge
    If that’s not possible then test the accuracy
    Some 22’s shoot fantastic with bulged barrels

I had a model 2 brno that had a big old bulge and still shot 1/2moa at 50m

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by XR500 View Post
    I managed several years of eel collecting using a 10/22 and a big home made suppressor. Never bulged the barrel at all.
    Do you mean 'spotted eels'. Tape the barrel to avoid the bulge - ( same with firearms)

Some really dangerous crap in this thread. Hopefully it is in jest but dangerous just the same. Rifle barrels should never be near water let alone touch it.
    GPM.
    Dama dama and dannyb like this.

The russians do a gun that shoots something that looks like a little flechette - it's designed to shoot underwater which is interesting. As for anything else, bloody dangerous shooting with any part of the firearm submerged as all sorts of weird things can go on with pressures and spring rates and things like that. Also, the other issue is the projectile will stop in a few meters in water and basically end up dropping down - I think there have been a few youtube vids and the like on taking firearms into pools and shooting them fully submerged. I recall one using an ak47 - the bullet never even made it into the target at the other end of the pool which was also interesting.

As far as the .22 - they are happy to run at a 16" barrel for standard HV ammo and most will develop their fastest speed around that length. You can go below that reasonably happily but not below minimum legal length obviously.