Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree112Likes

Thread: My BSA

My BSA

Have wanted a "classic" rifle for a while now and kind of kept a half hearted eye on the forum and trademe etc for one to come up and this rifle came up on the forum a few weeks back. I contacted the seller and we came to an arrangement for me to pick it up.
    Name:  IMG_20211020_193235_1.jpg
Views: 1114
Size:  4.55 MB
    There was a bit of confusion as to exactly what it was with it being advertised as a Majestic but the seller contacted me to tell me it was more likely a royal/Viscount due to the controlled feed action. A serial number check confirmed it to be a 1957-ish Viscount (marketed in the US as a Royal)
    The rifle would have originally been a 243 but it's been re-barreled at some stage with a Douglas Premium, again in 243, it has stamped under the barrel "C&B 1986" which others have suggested possibly means Collings and Bradley and I assume it was re-barreled in that year. It's the featherweight model with the hollowed out bolt knob and scalloped action and the forend of the stock is hollowed out also.

The stock shows signs of being carried, a lot! With most of the original chequering visible but worn right down. So this combined with the rebarrel I do fantasize that it was possibly carted around the hills at some stage by a culler or meat hunter.

The rifle itself was generally tidy with a wee bit of surface rust under the barrel and action when I pulled it from the stock, I took this off with some steel wool then cold blued the worn patches using "Outers" gun blue which I had used on a old shotgun before and was quite impressed with the finish and durability compared to the likes of the Birchwood Casey cold blued etc.
    The bore looked good but I ran a snake through it then gave it a clean with boretech and patches, degreased the action and removed the slight tarnishing on the bolt using wet and dry. Re-assembled it in the stock etc and was beginning to feel quite happy with how it's come up. I'm very impressed with how nicely these old rifles point and carry and it's a nice weight for lugging around the hills.
    The rifle came with some original Parker Hale RANS3 rings but these were 1" and I intended putting my recently re-aquired Nickel Supra 4x36 scope on it which is period correct and has a 26mm tube. I was going to take them to a gunsmith to open up slightly to suit the scope but with none local and me being an impatient bastard I asked local engineer to skim them out to suit. Now the rings fitted I had another problem to deal with.. the original anodising on the rings had tuned a copper/gold colour after all those years out in the elements, I had seen this with other sets of these rings before. I was going to go through the trouble of having them sent off and re-anodised or powder coated black but again my impatience got the better of me and I bought a little pottle of 2 pack gloss black enamel and applied it with one of the wife's nail polish brushes, I then popped them in the oven for ten minutes at 100 degrees between coats and this smoothed out the finish and they seem to have come up rock hard. I reinstalled the rings and scope today and very happy with how it's turned out . I've been considering having a new stock built for it but for now I quite like the original anyhow, it has "character" and tells a story when you pick the rifle up, something a little different about it is it lacks a cheekpiece which it probably originally had, it in no way seems butchered but I do wonder if someone removed it in an attempt to slim the rifle down more and drop a few ounces or maybe it was owned by a left hander who didn't like it. In any case it's still tidy and functional and looks good so I gave it a good clean down then spent more than a few hours rubbing linseed oil into it with my fingers, wife looked at me with disgust and possibly a hint of jealousy as I spent hour after hour watching telly and rubbing oil into the stock but it's come up nicely. I plan to shoot to town tommorow and pick up a box of federal blue box which has been the test of every rifle in every factory loaded calibre I have ever bought, if your rifle doesn't shoot it well, it doesn't shoot! First time I've ever had a 243, hopefully I can get out and harvest a bit of summer venison with it and maybe a chamois if I'm lucky over the next few months.
    Name:  IMG_20211026_180839_3.jpg
Views: 1069
Size:  2.11 MB
    Name:  IMG_20211026_180917_3.jpg
Views: 1072
Size:  2.21 MB
    Name:  IMG_20211026_180950_1.jpg
Views: 1052
Size:  2.21 MB
    Name:  IMG_20211026_181029_3.jpg
Views: 1039
Size:  2.22 MB
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Looking good Ryan, must say I am a sucker for a Schnabel fore and one day when I can learn to hang on to a rifle for more than 10 minutes and own one just because it's beautiful I will own a mod 70 featherweight in a classic cal with a Schnabel fore
    #DANNYCENT

Lovely rifle, I had a majestic but had no use for it and gave it to Tentman who passed it on to a young fella starting out so couldn't have had a better result. Hope to see some pictures of it in the hills.

Nice. These prove "there is nothing new under the sun", a very lightweight rifle in an ideal for NZ calibre that will shoot lights out. I carried one in 7x57 for over 25 years, it served me very well and gave me a real buzz to pass it to a cobber whose dad had used the identical rifle for skin shooting - but the original had gone west.

Great looking classic there , very tasteful and well done
    hamsav and BSA270 like this.

Hi Ryan , can't speak for the Featherweight model but all my std weight have cheek pieces.
    Nice looking rifle , be careful you'll be a EBRG convert.
    Pennyless.
    BSA270 likes this.

Nice rifle. Better calibre.
    Hopefully it shoots well for you.

Yup I can confirm that Collins & Brady were re-barelling with blued Douglas premiums' during that period - they did a BRNO for me circa 1982 and the calibe stamp (6.5x55) looked very similar to yours.
    That is a lovely piece of history.

I txted you Lauries ph number last night...if you decide to restock it.

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    I txted you Lauries ph number last night...if you decide to restock it.
    Went out for a few brown fizzies and left phone at home, saw message when I turned phone on this morning, seem to kill a phone every couple months so no numbers saved! Makes sense now haha
    Micky Duck and dannyb like this.
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Good work Ryan, that looks really appealing and something i've thought about getting on and off as well over the years.
    "O what a day, what a lovely day"

Gorgeous! Jealous!
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

Had an interesting pm just now that seems to line up with this rifle and it's history. Very cool. The power of the Forum!
    Micky Duck, BSA270, dannyb and 1 others like this.
    10! has 270 divisors

Thats come up nice!
    I saw this come up on forum and was tempted to buy it myself but saw you had beaten me to it.
    My Majestic had a flat on the bolt with the word engraved in it so it could be seen and read with the bolt closed.
    BSA270 likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

57JL
    My old mate has quite a few BSA rifles and is very good at fixing/restoring them if you need to know anything or find a part for one
    Moa Hunter likes this.