Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree17Likes
  • 2 Post By veitnamcam
  • 3 Post By viper
  • 1 Post By hotbarrels
  • 3 Post By Simon
  • 2 Post By csmiffy
  • 1 Post By parriehunter
  • 1 Post By viper
  • 2 Post By parriehunter
  • 2 Post By Ultimitsu

Thread: My "Ruger" 10/22 Build

My "Ruger" 10/22 Build

Hey,

Just a quick post to share a 10/22 project build I am doing. It is on my website I have also had a few emails about it so thought I would do a quick update here as well.

My 10/22 Project

On Christmas day I was able to get a couple of hours to try some different ammo but I struggled with failure to feed and lots of fliers. After some frustration, I found that as the round was entering the chamber a small amount of lead was getting shaved off or just getting caught on it and jamming.

On a $500 barrel, I would hope that it wouldn't need any modifications but I am going to try and slightly remove the sharp edge and see if that helps. I should just go back to Gun City but tbh I cannot be bothered dealing with them.

Cheers
    Guys and Girls

"My Dad owns one and I think every firearms user should own a 10/22"

Ya kinda lost me at that point as a 10/22 would possibly be the firearm I want least but welcome to the forum anyway.
    HUNTY and mikee like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

To be honest I get the project and the build but it's really not necessary apart from looking cool and building something just for yourself.
    The build quality of the 10/22 has if anything improved over the last 5 years.
    Mine is a bog standard Houge model from H&F with a average scope. Light clean up and tweaking from a exceptional gunsmith well versed in 10 /22 since forever , other than the little tweaks and tuning bog standard off the shelf.
    6 mm group at 50 mtrs shot over a hunting pack and towel. Winchester sub sonic over the counter ammo, 600 - 900 rds between cleans.
    The rifles well capable, me not so much but the point is the your original rifle was probably very capable of shooting very well .
    Name:  measured group.JPG
Views: 667
Size:  332.9 KB

To many people spent to much time and money fucking about with the 10/22 chasing bullshit groups, it was always mean't to be a reliable rifle with acceptable hunting accuracy, not some bullshit Olympic Ansultz winning a gold medal.
    lz

Good on you @parriehunter ! You are to be encouraged.

Reviewing your web site the 10/22 project is a great and natural progression from your tinkering with the Norinco JW15. With some of the kit 55Six is landing in the country and other post confiscation proliferation of 10/22 kit parts becoming more readily available, the 10/22 makes for a great project gun that allows shooters to customise them to their liking.

I've had several 10/22's over the years including one of the very first Volquartsen's ever imported into the country back in the days when they were using Ruger factory receivers for their guns.
    Still have one 10/22 as a dedicated possum gun which carries a Bunnybuster barrel and Boyds stock. Great little gun customised specifically for its intended use.

Keep you the good work!
    Scouser likes this.

Having handed in an evil 10/22 E Cat which I got Good money for I replaced it for a new version, a Ruger factory Competition 10/22.
    Having owned and shot 10/22 for nearly 30 years it’s easily the nicest most accurate version I have ever had.
    BX trigger, machined receiver and bolt, match heavy fluted barrel with comp and nice stock with cheek rest, extended mag release and auto bolt release it’s great.
    Have mounted a Vortex Razor and bought 10 mags.
    Don’t buy the Ranger type 10/22 mags, have one and its shit.
    Great little speed steel gun.
    Runs best on Federal Value Champion Value Pack ammo. No jams after approximately 2000 rounds, yet to give it its first clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You commented on putting in the polymer recoil buffer for noise.
    That maybe so but I was informed many years ago By Richard Wilhelm that the reason for that was to save your scope. The bolt coming back into a hardened pin did all sorts of funny things to them.
    mikee and planenutz like this.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    "My Dad owns one and I think every firearms user should own a 10/22"

Ya kinda lost me at that point as a 10/22 would possibly be the firearm I want least but welcome to the forum anyway.
    Hey each to their own aye. Cheers for the welcome.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    To be honest I get the project and the build but it's really not necessary apart from looking cool and building something just for yourself.
    The build quality of the 10/22 has if anything improved over the last 5 years.
    Mine is a bog standard Houge model from H&F with a average scope. Light clean up and tweaking from a exceptional gunsmith well versed in 10 /22 since forever , other than the little tweaks and tuning bog standard off the shelf.
    6 mm group at 50 mtrs shot over a hunting pack and towel. Winchester sub sonic over the counter ammo, 600 - 900 rds between cleans.
    The rifles well capable, me not so much but the point is the your original rifle was probably very capable of shooting very well .
    Attachment 127869

To many people spent to much time and money fucking about with the 10/22 chasing bullshit groups, it was always mean't to be a reliable rifle with acceptable hunting accuracy, not some bullshit Olympic Ansultz winning a gold medal.
    lz
    Hey it definitely isn't necessary but I enjoy building them. If I had brought standard one to start with I probably wouldn't have changed much except for the stock. But as I brought all the parts separately the cost wasn't to bad.

Cheers for the comment it is good to get a different perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by csmiffy View Post
    You commented on putting in the polymer recoil buffer for noise.
    That maybe so but I was informed many years ago By Richard Wilhelm that the reason for that was to save your scope. The bolt coming back into a hardened pin did all sorts of funny things to them.
    Hey didn't think of that, Cheers for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by parriehunter View Post
    Hey it definitely isn't necessary but I enjoy building them. If I had brought standard one to start with I probably wouldn't have changed much except for the stock. But as I brought all the parts separately the cost wasn't to bad.

Cheers for the comment it is good to get a different perspective.
    Hi mate
    like I said I get the idea of the build and thinks it's really cool to make a one off for yourself and experiment with the different after market stuff.
    I would love to do it myself one day so good on you.
    I was coming at it more from an accuracy point of view and that as a hunting rifle they are ok out of the box for minute of rabbit and some are very good off the shelf if your lucky enough to buy the right one.

Cool project, you should put up a photo .
    parriehunter likes this.

Attachment 127891
    Name:  20191225_203146.jpg
Views: 622
Size:  5.95 MB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    hotbarrels and viper like this.

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by parriehunter View Post
    Hey,

Just a quick post to share a 10/22 project build I am doing. It is on my website I have also had a few emails about it so thought I would do a quick update here as well.

My 10/22 Project

On Christmas day I was able to get a couple of hours to try some different ammo but I struggled with failure to feed and lots of fliers. After some frustration, I found that as the round was entering the chamber a small amount of lead was getting shaved off or just getting caught on it and jamming.

On a $500 barrel, I would hope that it wouldn't need any modifications but I am going to try and slightly remove the sharp edge and see if that helps. I should just go back to Gun City but tbh I cannot be bothered dealing with them.

Cheers
    Guys and Girls

Firstly, do not do any modification to the barrel. It is the last resort and possibly a bad idea even then. It will void any chance you may have in getting GC to replace or repair the barrel.

Secondly, I suggest you try to get a refund. your made the wrong decision going with GC's barrel. Barrel making requires skill. Great barrel makers rightfully enjoy the reputation they have. KIDD was the right choice. You should have just waited for a KIDD. KIDD says in its website that all its barrels are made with Lother blanks. GC does not explain who makes their barrel. They just say that these are "match barrels". Who exactly is using GC barrels in matches?

Thirdly, the issue are you experiencing is to do with chamber tolerance and the angle that the rounds are being pushed into the chamber. so the cause of the problem could also be the action - the way that the action holds the mag affects how the mag is angled and in turn affects the angle of the round as it is pushed.

Lastly, You did not say what rounds you used. Some low end rounds are made rough with lower precision. I have a box of PMX 22LR ammo which is pretty bad. Half the time they do not load properly on my KIDD 10/22. On the other hand CCI Standard Volecity was far better, but still had the occasion issues. I now use SK standard plus, absolutely zero issues in loading.
    Sasquatch and viper like this.