Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Is my scope ruined

Is my scope ruined

Just unscrewed the focus ring at the front of my cheap nikko scope too far thinking it would have a stop ,( which it didnt ) and removed the whole front assembly. Is it stuffed ?

Quote Originally Posted by waimo View Post
    Just unscrewed the focus ring at the front of my cheap nikko scope too far thinking it would have a stop ,( which it didnt ) and removed the whole front assembly. Is it stuffed ?
    can you post a picture mate? if the lens came off then yes i would say as no gas which stops fogging up and such
    CBH Australia likes this.

You should be able to send it away to be regassed and sealed.
    CBH Australia likes this.
    Summer grass
    Of stalwart warriors splendid dreams
    the aftermath.

Matsuo Basho.

Name:  IMG_1447.JPG
Views: 819
Size:  3.67 MB

Had to screw right out on thread to correctly focus reticle . You tube video recommended winding eyepiece fully out til it stops then winding into focus . Problem is it didnt stop.

Well if you have a friendly welder that uses argon I would put it in a plastic zip lock bag with the gas running through a tig flow meter into it and screw the lens back on while its inside the bag. Argon is a dry gas so cant see why it wouldnt work.
    Shout the welder a beer for the gas

You wound out the wrong part its the bell shaped part it came out of , you will see the thin lock ring just behind the power ring . Screw it back in , in a warm dry room and you might get away with not regassing it

Just followed the instructions in the box that came with scopeName:  IMG_1450.JPG
Views: 684
Size:  4.05 MBName:  IMG_1451.JPG
Views: 746
Size:  3.47 MB

That's odd as looking at your pic of the two pieces it would appear as soon as you turn that section the oring can't seal anyway as won't be squashed between surfaces anymore....
    You sure that the ring on the end of the piece that unscrewed isn't supposed to turn independent of the rest of that body section that unsrewed and is just tight through no use ??
    born to hunt - forced to work

Andrew Rackstraw (if he is still working) has a re-gassing set up in his workshop in Upper Hutt.
    csmiffy and T.FOYE like this.

Is my scope ruined

Just use it mate, got a Nikko mount chief on my Brno model 1 that I did that to when I was a kid (fiddling), put it back on and it hasn’t been a problem since, still going strong 30 years later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Trout, Bill999, Shearer and 1 others like this.
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Iv done that yrs ago with a couple of nikkos,dont think they run on gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Spudattack View Post
    Just use it mate, got a Nikko mount chief on my Brno model 1 that I did that to when I was a kid (fiddling), put it back on and it hasn’t been a problem since, still going strong 30 years later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I've done exactly the same many years ago with a Silver Crown. Screwed it back on and carried on. It didn't seem to affect it while I had it but it is long gone now.
    Spudattack likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

It will be fine. Things like scopes or Night vision goggles with Nitrogen usually have the nitrogen leak out after a few years anyway. If you are worried find a mate with a dive tank, crack/open the tank and give the inside of your scope a blast of the dry air coming out of the tank. Screw the lens back on while in the blast of air coming out of the tank. Your scope is now full of filtered dry air. Have done it this way with expensive night vision equipment for years, never had a fogging issue.
    timattalon and kukuwai like this.

Quote Originally Posted by waimo View Post
    Attachment 201162

Had to screw right out on thread to correctly focus reticle . You tube video recommended winding eyepiece fully out til it stops then winding into focus . Problem is it didnt stop.
    U tube can be wrong as it was here, screw it back in till the reticle is clear and sharp, don't take any notice of the image just the reticle,it should go in almost all the way. If you wear glasses wear them when doing this and shooting.

Screw all the the way home tight and loosen the thin lock ring behind the power ring and unscrew the bell or ocular housing out till it suits . You have unscrewed the lense body not the focus ocular ring which has knurling on it to grip , look at the manual again .
    Longranger and No.3 like this.