Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: NcStar

NcStar

Hi, looking for a riser for my AR15 and found this really cheap one on Trademe.. NcSTAR AR15 HI RISER WEAVER MOUNT~W28 | Trade Me
    Can the AR experts please advise me on this? Will do the job, won't it?
    The other option is this one from Gunworks. Gunworks Ltd - Colt AR15 or AR10 Piccatinny Riser system
    Not sure how I can justify over twice the price?

res
    A good rule of thumb is that NcStar is shit, but for the riser if you replace the bolts with real steel bolts rather than pot metal it will be ok.

I would still recommend the better gun works option, or even better a one peace cantilever mount as often you can't get the slope in the right place with standard rings.

The bsquare mount from brownalls is cheep,light and good.
    Or if your not interested in importing, the NZ aero precision importer sells direct to the public-he is a member of the forum called herbmister so you could pm him or pm me and I'll give you his email/phone( don't want to post it and have the bots start spamming him)
    rogers.270 likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

Applies Lead Liberally rogers.270's Avatar
    Agree NCstar made for tacticool application, paintball and airsoft - real gun get real bits - pay real money. Or buy once twice maybe three times then spend real money for real bits
    Addicted to gun powder

Thanks guys, I got the feeling NcStar was regarded as 'shit' but I thought what can go wrong with a block of aluminium? Not keen on importing at this stage - probably wouldn't save much with the $ so low anyway.
    I initially looked at 1 piece mounts but have chosen to get a riser and normal rings so I can change scope without needing to change the who base.

Riser mounts are shit. Get a real scope mount and be done with it. It will look better and work better.
    rogers.270 likes this.

res
    Quote Originally Posted by logesearle View Post
    I initially looked at 1 piece mounts but have chosen to get a riser and normal rings so I can change scope without needing to change the who base.
    Before you spend any $ on using a riser I recommend grabbing your rifle,scope and some play dough/bluetac/etc and mocking up where the scope needs to sit for proper eye relief.
    Nearly every scope I have seen fitted with risers has had to be fitted to far back due the the very short length of a ar receiver rail.

The cantilever mounts were invented for a reason.

Whatever way you end up going, welcome to the $ pit that is ar15's
    Dr. Watson and grunzter like this.
    Using Tapatalk

Thanks guys, I got the feeling NcStar was regarded as 'shit' but I thought what can go wrong with a block of aluminium? Not keen on importing at this stage - probably wouldn't save much with the $ so low anyway.
    You can maybe also just use high rings no bases perhaps you don't even need a cantilevered mount? Check your scope

None of my current AR style guns currently run cantd mount

He's right man risers are just another connection to come loose! And you will definitely need to replace the hardware on any cheap riser or mount as they are hopeless, stripping or snapping before you get anywhere near tight.

Quote Originally Posted by res View Post
    The cantilever mounts were invented for a reason.
    I whole heartedly agree, why try and re invent the wheel.
    anderset20 likes this.

The only reason I don't want a one piece mount yet is I will probably want to put a 30mm scope on in the future. This would mean an expensive exercise to get a new 30mm one piece mount which seems silly if I can get by in the mean time with cheap stuff? The setup is for a 7.62x39 AR so I'm not trying to shoot several km sort of thing.
    When I get the gun and scope next week I'll have look at eye relief and height and report back.
    Thanks for the suggestions!

They're cheap for a reason. Wouldn't be relying on them for accuracy on anything more than a airsoft toy.
    Get a decent mount for your optics.
    Burris PEPR, Weaver SPR, Vortex Cantilever, all good quality and easy to get here in NZ plus they're not expensive. NZ dollar not good to import at the moment anyway.

Or seeing as you aren't going to use the AR for any LR stuff, why not something like a Vortex Strikefire II red dot or similar sight?
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    They're cheap for a reason. Wouldn't be relying on them for accuracy on anything more than a airsoft toy.
    Get a decent mount for your optics.
    Burris PEPR, Weaver SPR, Vortex Cantilever, all good quality and easy to get here in NZ plus they're not expensive. NZ dollar not good to import at the moment anyway.

Or seeing as you aren't going to use the AR for any LR stuff, why not something like a Vortex Strikefire II red dot or similar sight?
    Anything is expensive for a poor uni student . Have been looking for a second hand mount but no luck so far.
    I've already got a scope on the way, a Bushnell AR 3-12x40 from a forum member

Poor uni student, and buys AR lol.

Might be more options for you with secondhand mounts by checking out NZ sportshooter forum.
    Life is natures way of keeping meat fresh

res
    You could buy the same mount from alixpress for a lot less, and if you then spent the $ saved on good bolts for it.
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by cambo View Post
    Poor uni student, and buys AR lol.

Might be more options for you with secondhand mounts by checking out NZ sportshooter forum.
    Yeah so I wasn't broke, but I am now
    will have a look at that forum, cheers