Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Toby

Thread: New bullets - swaging

New bullets - swaging

Good evening. This is my first post here so go easy on me, guys
    I have almost everything setup to start making 22 cal bullets (52 HPFB) with Berger jackets for myself but might be
    interested in hearing from you which bullet calibre would you guys be wanting to see made here commercially in NZ with match components.
    Sorry if its been asked before. I couldnt find it in this forums.
    Cheers

6.5, 7mm and 30cal would be my guess to the most popular
    P38, Uplandstalker and initiaz like this.
    VIVA LA HOWA

P38
    I'd also add a range of other .224 projectiles to your HP offering.

Cheers guys. I am leaning toward the 7mm HPBTs or 30 HPBTs but still asking around some people. Any input is appreciated. Cheers

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    My advice, take it for what you will, is you will never even pay for the gear making run of the mill projectiles
    22, 7mm, 30cal - the range on the shelf is huge and by the time you take materials into account and the time involved in each step and setup, you're going backwards
    You also have about 0.0000001% of the market

3 die processes for a FB 22.. Forgetting making and cutting wire, washing cores etc
    I can sell Winchester 55gr SP all day for $25/100... Work out your hourly rate on making them after costs...
    HPBT 5+ processes

The only way to get even close is something different, a better mouse trap or something rare.

I've got over $10k in swaging gear for 2 calibers..have waited over 2 yrs for some of the tooling and am only at the stage of starting production now after testing and changes.
    Gear will never get paid for I believe, it's basically an expensive interest/hobby

A while back I was contemplating having a crack at swaging 22LR cases into .224 for the fun of it but got way too many other 'round tooits' first.

I rekon sub 22 and 6.5mm could worth checking out, good luck anyway.

I'd recommend calibres that Targex don't do

Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    My advice, take it for what you will, is you will never even pay for the gear making run of the mill projectiles
    22, 7mm, 30cal - the range on the shelf is huge and by the time you take materials into account and the time involved in each step and setup, you're going backwards
    You also have about 0.0000001% of the market

3 die processes for a FB 22.. Forgetting making and cutting wire, washing cores etc
    I can sell Winchester 55gr SP all day for $25/100... Work out your hourly rate on making them after costs...
    HPBT 5+ processes

The only way to get even close is something different, a better mouse trap or something rare.

I've got over $10k in swaging gear for 2 calibers..have waited over 2 yrs for some of the tooling and am only at the stage of starting production now after testing and changes.
    Gear will never get paid for I believe, it's basically an expensive interest/hobby
    Yeah but,apart from all that....

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by marky123 View Post
    Yeah but,apart from all that....
    Apart from that, make me a 30cal and 338 that has better BC than what can be brought off the shelf and is cheaper...
    Oh, and get Santa to answer my emails

Thanks for the input guys. Frankly, shooting in all aspects is something I do since I was 5 and I am 36 right now. I work with
    3D/Graphics animation, but I love the smell of powder. I wont live off selling bullets and it is something I enjoy doing. I already
    worn out 2 Blackmon dies in .22 and .30 cals (before coming to NZ) so I have some experience with it. Made more than 1,000,000+ bullets.
    Anyway, the .224 I am going to make is for my enjoyment and for me only and the other caliber could be for trade and the one nobody or
    a few people make. Thats why I am here asking your opinions.
    Again, thanks for all answers!
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by xring View Post
    Thanks for the input guys. Frankly, shooting in all aspects is something I do since I was 5 and I am 36 right now. I work with
    3D/Graphics animation, but I love the smell of powder. I wont live off selling bullets and it is something I enjoy doing. I already
    worn out 2 Blackmon dies in .22 and .30 cals (before coming to NZ) so I have some experience with it. Made more than 1,000,000+ bullets.
    Anyway, the .224 I am going to make is for my enjoyment and for me only and the other caliber could be for trade and the one nobody or
    a few people make. Thats why I am here asking your opinions.
    Again, thanks for all answers!
    Cheers
    Go for it.Swaging bullets guarantees internet kudos,but only if you post vids.
    MARK

Cheers! I will still do some research before I start something. How's 20 cal doing here in NZ? Not too many people shooting it, huh? Cheers

never seen one.

Cheers! I will still do some research before I start something. How's 20 cal doing here in NZ? Not too many people shooting it, huh? Cheers
    Pretty hard to beat a 250 box of 40 Vmaxs, cheaper than chips, hell accurate, extremely hard on bunnies

Banned
    Targex don't do 6.5 yet! ! When he dose I will buy them .....but he hasn't made any yet........