Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: New Farm gun

New Farm gun

Hi Guys ,

Just picked up a new Howa mini action rifle in 6.5 grendel , going to see what its like as a general use farm gun , hoping to get it running 95gr bullets ? , I know most use the heavier 120-123gr bullets , But 95gr will be more than enough on Mr goatie , now I just need some days OFF & gaps in the rain to run some reloads thru her .
    Using XBR 8208 powder & CCI 450 primers , amax 95gr & Lap brass .

Cheers Chris
    gadgetman and Mooseman like this.

Name:  index.jpg
Views: 574
Size:  7.3 KB
    bully, 300CALMAN and 40mm like this.

Hornady developed the 123 gr amax and sst for this Calibre and it's velocity window.

I used the 123 sst with 28gr WW748 and a mag primer for 2350fps.

Deadly on the goats to 300m.

Amaxs were just as effective.

The new Sierra 107 TMK might be worth a try. If you want more speed the Hornady 100grain interlocks also do the job.
    Warm Barrels!

Cfe223 100gn sierra varminter
    32.3gn
    Col 2.200”
    Lapua brass
    Cci br4

Shoots .5 no worries and better if I really concentrate
    mikee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 300_BLK View Post
    Hornady developed the 123 gr amax and sst for this Calibre and it's velocity window.

I used the 123 sst with 28gr WW748 and a mag primer for 2350fps.

Deadly on the goats to 300m.

Amaxs were just as effective.

The new Sierra 107 TMK might be worth a try. If you want more speed the Hornady 100grain interlocks also do the job.
    How much of a difference does a mag primer make?

Quote Originally Posted by Max Headroom View Post
    How much of a difference does a mag primer make?
    Fuck knows.

Big pile of ball powder usually likes a hot primer to ensure consistent results. But farked if I'm gonna do a comparison.

Look up rifleshooter.com for some articles on compared primer sizes in 6.5 Topknot
    Warm Barrels!

Thanks for the reloading tips , OK , my take on the Magnum primers on the 6.5 Grendel , is not to ignite the powder , BUT to handle the high pressure this calibre operates at , similar to the 6.5 CM , and other 308 size cases using a small primer pocket , in short to stop a primer cup being pierched by high pressure gas .
    I also think rifles for these cals , should have a smaller dia firing pin , because of small dia of the smaller primer in comparsion to the Large rifle primer .

Any ways , the rifle has is running a ODL QD TI suppressor , and it suits its size , my concern is the plastic stock , I think its touching the barrel , will have to maybe sand the barrel channel bigger as a temp measure , I would like to put it into a laminated wood stock later .

Cheers Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    Thanks for the reloading tips , OK , my take on the Magnum primers on the 6.5 Grendel , is not to ignite the powder , BUT to handle the high pressure this calibre operates at , similar to the 6.5 CM , and other 308 size cases using a small primer pocket , in short to stop a primer cup being pierched by high pressure gas .

Your right about why it is used in the Creedmoor,lapua etc. But the Grendel isn't a high pressure cartridge I'm pretty sure it has a fairly load max load of 58000psi.

I also think rifles for these cals , should have a smaller dia firing pin , because of small dia of the smaller primer in comparsion to the Large rifle primer .

Any ways , the rifle has is running a ODL QD TI suppressor , and it suits its size , my concern is the plastic stock , I think its touching the barrel , will have to maybe sand the barrel channel bigger as a temp measure , I would like to put it into a laminated wood stock later .

Those Hogue stocks are teribbly flexible. Might be worth stabilizing the foreend or a boyds if they make them.

Cheers Chris
    How's the action handle? They are a cool little rifle

Quote Originally Posted by Stocky View Post
    How's the action handle? They are a cool little rifle
    My mini is just a synthetic stock not a houge
    Awesome set up
    Ive got a 20 inch tube on mine and it’s a very compact nice rifle

Cheers Chris
    The difference between Mag and normal primers is how much spark they produce to ignite the powder, not how thick the primer cup is.

You will find cup thickness is different between brands.

This article looks at the difference between primer sizes, small are understood to be more consistent than large and therefore produce smaller groups. Large produce better velocity and are more reliable in cooler temps.

https://rifleshooter.com/2018/05/doe...ss-comparisons
    Warm Barrels!

Also, for a given pressure force = pressure * area. So for a smaller primer there is less force trying to push it out.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Yeah ,

Nice little rifle , so far accuracy so so , its about 1.25 inches at 100yds , holds 2 then throws 1 out , hope its the touching stock , its early days its only had 17rds thru it so far , its the No6 contour HB barrel , so 20 inche & threaded from factory .
    A guy in the US has dropped one into a wood stock & modied the std flush trigger guard to fit , ie he has buffed the magazine & plastic housing out , looks real nice .
    The new 223 Howa's are meant to all have 1-8 twist barrels from mid this yr on , maybe Howa will make a flush fitting trigger guard for the Mini ? , as a option .
    CZ also have brought out a sporter weight & a HB barrel CZ527 in 65gren , I think a CZ527 Varmint , with laminated stock & in 6mm Grendel would be a neat varmint gun .

If its a houge stock @ChrisF you’ll need to stiffen that foreend
    Houge stocks have to much flex in the barrel channel and contact the barrel when you grip the stock this is the Cause of howas with accuracy issues or shooting flyers

Easy fix though just epoxy in some more support

With the 4 ive seen fixed or fixed myself
    Just ali arrow sharfts long ways up the barrel channel and the hole channel filled with epoxy
    To just below barrel level so the barrel is free floating still

Mine shoots like this
    Attachment 93492

And from my experience with howas yours will to
    Get that stock sorted mate trust me

Confusion regarding cup thickness results from the fact that Remington introduced the 7-1/2 primer with a thicker cup, due to pierced primers in hot .223 Remington (and probably .222 Remington Magnum) loads. That, in and of itself, should not have caused confusion BUT lazy ‘gun writers’ have developed the habit of calling the Remington 7-1/2 primer a magnum primer, whereas, in fact, it contains exactly the same primer mixture as the Remington 6-1/2 and THE ONLY DIFFERENCE between the two Remington primers IS THE THICKER CUP. OF THE 7-1/2 PRIMER.
    A good shot at close range beats a 'hit" at a longer range.

Yeah ,

Nice little rifle , so far accuracy so so , its about 1.25 inches at 100yds , holds 2 then throws 1 out , hope its the touching stock , its early days its only had 17rds thru it so far , its the No6 contour HB barrel , so 20 inche & threaded from factory .
    A guy in the US has dropped one into a wood stock & modied the std flush trigger guard to fit , ie he has buffed the magazine & plastic housing out , looks real nice .
    The new 223 Howa's are meant to all have 1-8 twist barrels from mid this yr on , maybe Howa will make a flush fitting trigger guard for the Mini ? , as a option .
    CZ also have brought out a sporter weight & a HB barrel CZ527 in 65gren , I think a CZ527 Varmint , with laminated stock & in 6mm Grendel would be a neat varmint gun .
    @ChrisF 22 PPC AKA 22 Grendel maybe a good one? similar ballisitics to a 22-204 Ruger, 75 amax @ 3100 from sub 30 grains...

That would be a neat gun
    Warm Barrels!