Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By shift14
  • 2 Post By rossi.45

Thread: New gun means time for a new scope

New gun means time for a new scope

I have purchased myself a new 7mm rem mag and now i am on the look out for a new scope to keep it company.
    What is a good power scope to suit the 7mm rem mag? Shooting range i cant see myself going past 500m hunting, the range on the farm goes to 800m so if i can hit the gong i will be happy.

If it is a light walk around gun, a leupold vx3 with CDS turrets , other wise anything heavier and more expensive !:-)
    You might have to use a 20 moa base to gain a bit of angle with the vx3.

There's a Swaro Z5 3.5-18 x 44 BT in the for sale section.....albeit overpriced

B
    BRADS likes this.

I have a brand new vx6 3-18x44 that I'm going to list soon pm me if you're keen

sneakywaza I got
    Got a Weaver Grandslam 3-10x40 for $350 if you want.....

Cheers for all the offers, current scope that i have is a Burris 3-9x40 that came with my 223. Was really wanting to know what is a good power to upgrade to that would best suit the range i would be shooting. All the above scopes sound great, all be it probably a bit pricey for me at the moment

Well, I aren't a fan of big heavy scopes, unless you are really going to utilize them, a 3x9-40 will take you out to 400 and further,
    So I would suggest a up to 12 power, with reasonable glass, and sum sort of Ballistic reticle, don't get to thick a cross hairs, as it harder to shoot well at long range, an example of too thick would be Bushnell DOA 600. I personal think very highly of the Nikon monarch, for price point.
    If cash is tight, have a hard think about a fixed power Leupold 6 or 10, should be able to get one used for a sharp price, as fixed power is not poplar any more, but a hell of a lot of game, has fallen to a fixed 4 or 6 power scopes.

VX3 4.5-14X40LR 30mm tube with the CDS dial with zero stop, one rev should get you past 700yds with a 250 yrd zero with a good bullet, Amax etc / load, full throttle . . 112MOA elevation available so plenty of room there to get a good zero or add a target or tactical turret later and go out a lot further. good glass, good price . . . just about to order my 2nd.

spend as much as the rifle on the scope . . . or more

cheers R
    Woody and Quest like this.