Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree33Likes

Thread: New Howa Carbon Rifles (Elevate and Stalker)

New Howa Carbon Rifles (Elevate and Stalker)

https://www.legacysports.com/catalog...arbon-elevate/

https://www.legacysports.com/catalog...arbon-stalker/

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...sub-5lb-rifle/

Looks like someone has been spying all the Ken Henderson and Stug stocked Howa's that you lot like

Unfortunately, it looks like it's just the 'standard' action and not the slabbed version as seen on the Lightweight and Alpine models, does not come threaded either

CF barrels only for the intermediate/short action chamberings, not the mini ones.

These cost cutting measures are probably there under the reasoning of 'who is going to pay $USD 2k for a Howa?'. Who knows.

Just acquired an Alpine in .243 but will keep an eye out for these too.
    veitnamcam and Steelisreal like this.

Thats mint probably wont see them here for a long long time tho.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Neat looking rifles but spoiled by a cheap looking mag . Dont mind detachable mags but they need to flush .

Wonder if the floor plate off the 1500/weatherby vanguard would fit ? Agree the detachable mag looks cheap
    #DANNYCENT

I also agree . First thing I thought when I saw it ugly mag hanging down and right where your hand is likely to be when carrying the rifle . Why I love my trusty tikka

Sent from my SM-G988B using Tapatalk

Aye the Jefferson Outdoor's flush bottom metal exists for the Mini, shame they could not take the hint! Old 1500 floorplate should be a straight swap with the magazine though.

Would like to have a look at the inlet, I suspect they have got a metal/aluminum bedding block.
    timattalon, Steelisreal and dannyb like this.

Well done on the Alpine @caberslash - I assembled a 223 one by acquiring the stock separately and fitting to a lightweight 1500 barrelled action. Lovely hunting rifle!

Both of the rifles in the promo pics look like the Mini action to my eye, hence the sticky outy plastic mag. They did a similar thing with the Alpine when it came out (showing it with the detachable box mag) despite not being sold that way in many markets. And in the US I believe they supplied the conventional hinged floor plate assembly with the rifle so the owner could choose. It will be interesting to see if that is the case when they become available here. Not to mention pricing - they would have to be quite a bit cheaper than a barreled action plus one of Ken's beautiful stocks to sell here - here's hoping!
    dannyb and caberslash like this.

looks like the carbon barrel elevate version will come in mini action 6.5 grendal going by that first link
    born to hunt - forced to work

Will probably be a while before they hit our shores I'd say. I'd also say good old kiwi retailers will clip the ticket big time on them to the point you will have plenty other options anyhow
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

The problem with swapping a 1500 floor plate with the mini is the mini is a centre feed with no feed lips on the action. I tried to make an internal double stack mag to fit, but the chamber mouth didn’t feed properly with rounds coming in from the side. You would need to get something like a Wyatts centre feed internal mag box. But then trying to load the mag with a scope on is really hard. It’s a great little rifle with one big minus.
    I’d go with a CZ if you like the small sized action etc.
    tetawa, timattalon and dannyb like this.

Looks cool. Will cost a bit. Certainly based on what folk are doing with them already. I reckon my 1500 with orginal floor plate, stug stock and timney trigger is close to perfect.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Quote Originally Posted by Dama dama View Post
    Looks cool. Will cost a bit. Certainly based on what folk are doing with them already. I reckon my 1500 with orginal floor plate, stug stock and timney trigger is close to perfect.
    I would prefer your setup as the carbon stock is the focus.

I have doubts about the S/A 1500 Carbon barrels, the fact they are not threaded may be there to avoid muzzle droop.

Weird choice as their HS precision stocked, carbon barrelled actions were threaded.

Who knows!

Why make the only 2 long action calibres different bolt faces? To me a 7mm rem mag would have made more sence than the 270. Use the same bolt, cut down on costs.

Sub-5lbs is too light IMO. I’ve tried super light rifles like this and they just don’t seem to point as well for offhand shooting. Just my preference of course, I’m sure there’s a market for them.
    Mathias and caberslash like this.
    Just...say...the...word

Quote Originally Posted by Flyblown View Post
    Sub-5lbs is too light IMO. I’ve tried super light rifles like this and they just don’t seem to point as well for offhand shooting. Just my preference of course, I’m sure there’s a market for them.
    my carbon a7 270wsm was just under 3kg scoped and was a pleasure to shoot prone off the bipod, only ever shot it off hand once so can't really coment on that other than it definitely worked as I head shot a fallow at about 25 yards
    I think @hillclima owns it now and I'm sure it's still a honey to shoot
    hillclima likes this.
    #DANNYCENT