Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: New Leupold's Quality Declining

New Leupold's Quality Declining

Am I the only one who thinks the old VX-1 Leupolds were far better quality than the new VX-Freedom's? The new ones look cheap and nasty. Same with VX-3 vs. VX-3i I prefer the older model. Maybe it's just me interested in your opinions. I feel like they are trying to cut manufacturing costs but product quality is suffering.

CT

i had my hands on a "freedom" recently. its no where near as good optically as the vx1 i had on my 10/22. however having said that the leupold warranty is unbeatable. i took a fall and snapped a scope literally in 1/2. sent it back to leupold with a can you repair it along with an explanation that i was completely to blame. a few weeks later they sent me a new scope with a " we guarantee them for life" letter.
    same goes for buck knives. my "zipper" developed a crack in the gut hook, they sent me a new knife, a pocket knife as compensation and an apology letter
    veitnamcam and 223nut like this.

Hi, when sending for repair or warranty claim do you send it straight to Leupold or do you bring it to your local store where it was purchased? Where is the Leupold service centre located? Cheers

i sent mine back to leupold usa as i purchased the scope there on holiday. service was unbeatable
    Shearer likes this.

Wow good service from Leupold..! Will they not cover the warranty if you sent it to Leupold here in NZ (if there is)?

Quote Originally Posted by ler4_war View Post
    Wow good service from Leupold..! Will they not cover the warranty if you sent it to Leupold here in NZ (if there is)?
    unsure on that one, all can say about the usa return service was damn awesome. hell i physically killed it and they sent me a new one
    this was 18 years back but i hope they still offer the same service
    ler4_war likes this.

Vx freedom is a built to a price point product to compete with the other cheap scopes on the market it's not meant to be the same quality as a vx1, I have had vx111, vx3, and vx3i and not noticed any difference in quality except the vx3i actually having noticeably better optics
    veitnamcam, buzzman, BRADS and 2 others like this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

You can tell an American product is trash as soon as they start putting names on them like 'freedom'
    ZG47 likes this.

As Ryan has said, they building different scopes & quality to meet various price points and compete across the range from low to high. That's why they introduced the VX5's, so they could crank up the price on VX6's but still have the mid to high price covered.
    If your worried about quality of their newer optics, just buy an older 2nd hand one. Plenty of good ones to choose from, and you can easily upgrade to dial up turrets now with most of their scopes.
    But wait, Donald Trump is going to fix this for you .... wind up trade tarrifs, so that the lower cost components or production in Asia becomes sooooo expensive that they have to move everything back to go old US of A - then you'll really have something to moan about. High cost and shit quality !

Quote Originally Posted by ler4_war View Post
    Hi, when sending for repair or warranty claim do you send it straight to Leupold or do you bring it to your local store where it was purchased? Where is the Leupold service centre located? Cheers
    I saw the Leupold agents at the sika show and asked them about refurbishing a 25 year old scope. He said that may we’ll be a warranty and advised me to send it via a local supplier.
    Dropped it a local shop. 6 weeks later scope came back with new glass. Cost $60 courier charge. Happy days.
    veitnamcam likes this.

Swap ya an older vx6 2x12 with a few scratches for a newer hd one with a 24 pack of Heineken my way then if you like.
    PM if keen.
    mikee, C.T., Gibo and 1 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I had a vx freedom in my hands last week. It is a two piece tube instead of a one piece one like the upper models.

What you have to realise is that it is not so much that leupold quality has gone down, but that the whole competition has gone up in quality , features and services. That is the name of the game.
    Take a look at the video:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xP0P7KdivCI

Have a look on Ali baba for how much it sells.

Quote Originally Posted by Friwi View Post
    I had a vx freedom in my hands last week. It is a two piece tube instead of a one piece one like the upper models.

What you have to realise is that it is not so much that leupold quality has gone down, but that the whole competition has gone up in quality , features and services. That is the name of the game.
    Take a look at the video:
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xP0P7KdivCI

Have a look on Ali baba for how much it sells.
    You do understand the freedom is a 22 scope a?
    Released to compete with the likes of the zeiss Terra and the top range of the range vortex scopes

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by BRADS; 19-07-2018 at 08:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    i had my hands on a "freedom" recently. its no where near as good optically as the vx1 i had on my 10/22. however having said that the leupold warranty is unbeatable. i took a fall and snapped a scope literally in 1/2. sent it back to leupold with a can you repair it along with an explanation that i was completely to blame. a few weeks later they sent me a new scope with a " we guarantee them for life" letter.
    same goes for buck knives. my "zipper" developed a crack in the gut hook, they sent me a new knife, a pocket knife as compensation and an apology letter
    Yeah. NZ suppliers could learn a lot from the service US companies give.
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

The freedom is not only for rimfire but also for centerfire scopes.
    https://www.leupold.com/product-series/vx-freedom

It has been released to replace the vx1 and vx2. Simplification of the range of products i guess.
    Also I am not a fan of vortex , I fail so see how it could compete with the top range of vortex .at 3 or 4 time the price they are not boxing in the same category.
    bumblefoot likes this.