Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: New Oceania Defence Ltd suppressor

New Oceania Defence Ltd suppressor

Hi Guys ,

Just had the pleasure of meeting ODL in person , and testing the new 7.62 Nato can for the Accuracy International AW/AX rifles running the AI 2 pot Tac Brake , the can is 40mm dia , 230mm long and 205gms in weight , BUT the numbers donot convey the light as a feather weight you feel with this can in your actual hand , I thought it was light enough to have been made of thin paper , let alone TI .
    The can has a nitrided finish to the metal , which gives it a nice dark tan colour , very impressed with the design and quality of this can , saw the insides on a cutaway demo can , and its a complex well thought out design .
    ODL tells me its a result of well over a hundred hours in design time .
    Anyway , I was just the dumb shooter on this , I remember a few rough numbmers , BUT ODL can chime in with the exact numbers , correct meter , calibration & placement as per Mil-spec requirements , ie done properly on site .
    The test gun , a std 26 inche barreled AI AW rifle , with the 2-pot tac brake , was 170 Db with brake & no suppressor , mid to low 130s Db with the can on .
    I think this is the longest can they have made to date .
    Here's some quick/crap pics of it .

ODL
    Thanks, Chris for taking the time to test this. I really appreciate it since this one is for export.

The sound level at 1.6m high, 1m left of the muzzle with brake and no can - 170.9 Two Shot ave.
    Sound at 1.6m high, 1 m left of the end of the suppressor - 133.4 ten shot average.

I missed the first shot with the can but it was under 140 since it didn't register when set at 150 and the meter will record up to -10 dB. The highest shot was 134.3.

I think the seal at the end of the brake needs improvement because the sound at the ear was 136.8 (three shots) and this should have been under 130. I haven't made a can to fit a brake like this so it is a decent start. The baffles are working as hoped for and I just need to tune up the seal at the end.

This is the longest can and clearly, longer will give a better sound. This can is only about 170 past the end of the brake so it certainly is not huge. I think this is a good compromise since for this type of rifle the minimal amount of extra length will be less troublesome than the sound of a too short can.

Thanks again for helping with the test.
    sambnz likes this.
    Oceania-Defence.com

FWIW, the AX 338 LM has a taper on the front of the brake with LH thread ahead of it & a nice flat at the other end of the brake above the muzzle, the factory suppressor has a thick O ring that seals on that flat section.

I assume that the 308 has the same set up.

The Brake is closed off from the suppressor & gets extremely dirty, carboned up, after a few rounds through it.

ODL
    Yep, that is how I made mine as well with a 35x2 viton oring. I think I will add a second viton oring in 34x2 on the ramp just before the flat for a better seal. I have to say, the can locks up very tight on the brake with the conical section.

We only ran about 15 shots over the brake with the can and it wasn't that dirty. I will take a pic tomorrow.
    Oceania-Defence.com

Quote Originally Posted by ODL View Post
    Yep, that is how I made mine as well with a 35x2 viton oring. I think I will add a second viton oring in 34x2 on the ramp just before the flat for a better seal. I have to say, the can locks up very tight on the brake with the conical section.

We only ran about 15 shots over the brake with the can and it wasn't that dirty. I will take a pic tomorrow.
    IIRC the 338 O ring was pretty big, prob 3-4mm wide, I don't have it to check.

Yes they do lock up tight, the LH thread means they don't come loose but a great trap for the uninitiated, like me trying to get the alloy thread protector off...

The 338 has approx, twice the powder going through it compared to the 308.

Greg ,

IF you are using the AI alloy can , be aware they donot last that long , they are expendable , not like a SS or TI can

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisF View Post
    Greg ,

IF you are using the AI alloy can , be aware they donot last that long , they are expendable , not like a SS or TI can
    Thanks Chris.

They are surprisingly light for what they are for I thought.

I'm sure the owner will be thrilled that they are expendable

Whe I say expendable , thats MY term , as from what I can gather from the UK snipers using them , only get a few hundred rds out before they are basically toast ,ie they blow the baffle stack out , I suppose the good news is thats all they do , ie I have not heard they blow thru the tube .

ODL
    I felt like such a dork when grunting and sweating to get the thread protector off. Then it easily spun off the "wrong" way! I'm glad to hear I wasn't the only one.

That is interesting info about the oring diameter. I think I will try two since the first one will be more in compression. It is hard to believe that AI are making an Ali magnum can for government users! This is the group I am trying to build for and I can guarantee 5k rounds from the can with the brake in place to take the hit from the initial blast. Pressure from the magnum is not a problem as I can both thicken the material in the blast chamber as well as add stiffeners.

You can just see the stiffeners in the left side of the view looking into the can. ON second thought, there is no evidence of gas escaping the current oring. I might try another method to eliminate what might be the blast hitting the sides of the can since they did vent pretty forcefully and might be causing "hammering" noise going aft rather than gas venting.

Last edited by ODL; 09-03-2015 at 09:50 AM.
    Oceania-Defence.com

The ammo I used is representive of what most will run thru a 308 can on a sniper rifle , ie a 175gr SMK at 2704 fps av , out of the std 26 inche AI AW barrel .

I was very impressed with this can , and its great on a Accuracy International AW or AX rifle in 308 , BUT it deserves much wider use than on just that rifle alone , to use this current model you need to run a AI 338 Tac brake as the interface , and as such you need to one have a thick enough barrel to mount this brake & the actual AI brake as well .
    I would love to see this exact can also offered with a smaller size direct thread option , say the std 5/8 etc so you can use thinner varmint & heavy sporter type barrel profiles .
    To me its perfect for the AI rifles & also varmint & sporting rifles as well , so any calibre based on the 308 case will be great with this suppressor providing the bore size is matched up .
    I know ODL is working on making a larger 338LM version of this can , and I hope he may also do a 300WM model thats sized between the the 308 & 338 can , that would be awesome .
    Oceania Defence have come a very long way from the simple old reflex type suppressor design they started with in 2012 , they now have their own leading edge designs , I love that they are made here in NZ , and we will have access to them , I for one will be buying several .

Later Chris

ODL
    Cheers for that, Chris! I am going to make the next AI 30 cal can good for any 30 cal by beefing up the first section and by modifying the oring design. Of course, the 338 can will also work with the 300 mags and will be quieter than the 30 cal can.

The current AR10 suppressor is direct thread on 5/8 24 and will fit on up to a 19mm barrel. I plan on making a dedicated bolt action can that will fit a wider range of barrel profiles and hopefully work in a wider market. Before I do this I am finishing up both QD cans. The first one will be trialed in the next couple of weeks with a proprietary brake.

The other will work with a standard A2 FH and this one will get my full attention this weekend. It was about ready to go with a KAC FH and several people offered helpful comments which made me go back to the drawing board and the overall result will be a major improvement. I can't promise I will finish the A2 this weekend but that is the plan. Everyone, and I do mean everyone is leaning on me for a decent A2 design.
    Oceania-Defence.com

Quote Originally Posted by ODL View Post
    Everyone, and I do mean everyone is leaning on me for a decent A2 design.

i'm one of them

res
    Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    i'm one of them
    +1
    Using Tapatalk

Opps , I must be weird , as I DONOT want a QD A2 mounting system , about the ONLY reason I see for the A1 or A2 flash hider is for bayonet or rifle grenades , on a AR15 with no gas shutoff , I am not interested in firing rifle grenades from any std AR15 , and also not interested in attaching a knife to the end of a bendy AR15 .

I see a purpose built QD interface made by the suppressor maker to fit his can to be a far superior design solution overall , only downside is you will have to pay for a new flash hider from the maker of the system, a purpose designed attachment means 2 things to me , 1 ) It can be made to more precise measurements , 2 ) It can be designed to give a better method of camming/locking device .

And having seen ODLs flash hider design & means of attachment & locking , its a far better option for me , even given that you have to buy THEIR hider/brake etc for the system to work .
    As I said , I have seen ODLs QD hider/suppressor design , and its BLOODY nice , and I hope ODL proceed with it , either that or just sell me the prototype can .
    I was very impressed with it , BUt I will not discribe IT as thats for ODL to release data on .

Later Chris