Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: New rifle: question please

New rifle: question please

Hi guys, I've just purchased a new X-bolt. I have a suppressor all lined up for it from a previous rifle. My question to the wise folk on here: would you sight her in first, and figure out what rounds she likes etc BEFORE taking it to a gunsmith for suppressor threading? Or get it threaded first, so I can use the suppressor when shooting with it for the first time? What would you do?

Bus driver
    Great question mate.....[I] have a Browning 300 win mag...I shot it without the suppressor first,then with the suppressor ....to compare various issues ,accuracy,recoil,weight feel,etc......before and after.I don’t think you’ll do yourself any injustices by doing both.....at least you will have something to go by
    tetawa and Strummer like this.
    It's not the mountain we conquer,but ourselves.....Sir Edmund Hillary

How good is your access to a suitable range? Out the back window... Might as well do it before and after, 2hr drive each way.... I'd be waiting

Quote Originally Posted by 223nut View Post
    How good is your access to a suitable range? Out the back window... Might as well do it before and after, 2hr drive each way.... I'd be waiting
    Unfortunately I don't have easy access to a back paddock...haha. That would be ideal

Always sight it in & test loads in the same configuration you will shoot with.
    Do not sight it in without suppressor then expect it to shoot to the same point of impact or group the same with that particular ammo after its suppressed, as the suppressor will alter the barrel harmonics.

By all means go out, shoot it, and have some fun if you are wanting to shoot it - just expect to have to adjust zero etc again after its suppressed. No big deal.
    Last edited by ChrisW; 07-03-2019 at 02:29 PM.

Its not a bad idea to get a baseline of function before you take it to be threaded etc. Any threading will for all intensive purposes void any warranty or right you have to return if you got a lemon. Shoot it make sure it works, whack a can on

Chances are it will be sweet but never hurts to do a bit more shooting.

Play it safe get the suppressor on first , you could likely save your self a good few bucks in ammo and more trips to the range just incase it shoots different with a suppressor on.

Ps get your self a new trigger spring from mcarbo , itl lighten up the trigger considerably
    Last edited by Boaraxa; 07-03-2019 at 02:31 PM.
    The Green party putting the CON in conservation since 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-D View Post
    Its not a bad idea to get a baseline of function before you take it to be threaded etc. Any threading will for all intensive purposes void any warranty or right you have to return if you got a lemon. Shoot it make sure it works, whack a can on

Chances are it will be sweet but never hurts to do a bit more shooting.
    +1, would shoot it as it came, if ok thread it.
    ChrisW and Strummer like this.

I recently got a new 308 and had it threaded. It's heavy barrelled but switching between suppressed and unsuppressed still causes a 7 inch POI shift at 100m. I've seen others who have a nice load when using a suppressor that opens up significantly once the suppressor's taken off.

So to echo what others are saying, shoot it in the configuration you plan on using it in. Adding a suppressor is enough to invalidate everything else you may have learned about how it shoots.
    ChrisW likes this.

I guess one thing in the back of my mind is what someone else mentioned...warranty. If the barrel is a dud, I guess it can't be returned after it has been threaded. Do I need to worry about this?
    Spudattack likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Strummer View Post
    I guess one thing in the back of my mind is what someone else mentioned...warranty. If the barrel is a dud, I guess it can't be returned after it has been threaded. Do I need to worry about this?
    Probably not. Browning makes a good rifle. But its a little peace of mind if you do shoot it first.
    Strummer likes this.

Bus driver
    Strummer mate...great your asking for advice and opinions...the great thing about them is that they are varied and different ..that’s a good thing ,and as you can see there are differing thoughts...I respect all of them...I have quite a few rifles,they are manufactured,some of them designed for and without scopes,not many designed for suppressors....I have rifles with iron sights,some come without them and you either go with scopes or put iron sights on them...my point......manufacturers have tested these rifles “as is”..they shoot damn well “as is”...additions to rifles are many and varied.You have choices,use them...I have several rifles suppressed and some without,I enjoy them either way

You may be constrained by economics,styles,uses etc.....by your asking,it seems this may be a first rifle for you or one that’s new in this calibre,that’s all great stuff,but the gun you have,certainly wasn’t designed so that you “had” to put a suppressor on it.....you will only find out the “style” you want to shoot,by at least exposing yourself to various avenues you have in shooting that particular rifle.....if you can afford that rifle,then you can afford to shoot a box of ammo through it without a suppressor,just to give yourself and idea of the road you want to take...OR....find someone with the same calibre suppressed and see what you think........the opinions expressed here are all designed to give you an avenue....I argue with no one,on their thoughts and advice,only by the experience I have gained through doing it myself....that was the best experience I’ve ever had.....

Would the agent-wholesaler take back a rifle that they didn't sell threaded ex factory, I don't think so.

Bus driver
    With todays technology,the only dud you may find is the DUD that’s pulling the trigger....I think that’s the least of your worries

sako75 likes this.

Thanks guys.
    Couple of things:
    1. I am a bit fussy and I like looking after gear, so I want to do what makes "the most sense".
    2. I believe you never stop learning, hence I'm keen to learn from the collective wisdom of the experienced fellas in this forum.

Sounds like it's 6 of one, half dozen of another.
    I think I'll shoot without a suppressor initially. Yes this is a new calibre for me, and I've never owned an X-bolt before, so it's new territory. My previous rifles have always come factory threaded.