Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By The Claw

Thread: New scope

New scope

Contrary to a topic I posted a couple of months back where I was going to get a Z3 swarovski 4-12x50 bt for my new 300wm I didn't. In the end I decided on a leupold vx-r 4-12x50. Nothing to do with price but I decided I do more shooting in low light than I do in situations requiring a ballistic turret, I haven't seen a deer through it yet in the fading light. How Has anyone else with this scope found it? I have high hopes but would love some feedback.
    Cheers,
    Jack

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar

Re: New scope

I would definitely buy the swaro... :p

I have 2 Z3's & a Z6. Don't have any Leupolds currently, & know nothing about a vx-r, so really, my opinion is worthless...

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    BRADS likes this.
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

Shut up and Shoot
    Recently compared a Swarovski Z5 and a Leupold VX3 and the Swaro was definitely better as the light faded and over all just a bit sharper. According to the Swarovski International sales manager I met recently all Swaro lenses are made to the same standard so a Z3 has the same quality lenses and a Z6.

I am not sure if a VX-R has the same lens quality as a VX3.

Quote Originally Posted by Herbmiester View Post
    Recently compared a Swarovski Z5 and a Leupold VX3 and the Swaro was definitely better as the light faded and over all just a bit sharper. According to the Swarovski International sales manager I met recently all Swaro lenses are made to the same standard so a Z3 has the same quality lenses and a Z6.

I am not sure if a VX-R has the same lens quality as a VX3.
    My brother worked at a hunting store for a year and the swaro rep told him that the only difference between most of the swaro stuff in terms of high and low range is where they are assembled. The Z4 and Z5 is assembled in Europe while the Z3 which is the same glass is assembled in the US.
    I have a VX3 4.5-14x40 for my 270 and there is a big difference between that and my bros Z3. The VX-R is a bit higher quality although probably the same glass I'd imagine but its a 50mm objective at 4-12 power. The Vx-R is different in that it has an illuminated reticle. I figure that in low light whether I had a Z3 or a leupold its still going to be hard to see the x hairs so I thought the vx-r having the illuminated reticle would be good to just be able to put the red dot on a deers chest and not have to worry about the cross.

But I guess I'll have to wait and see how it performs.

I must be missing out. I think my VX2 is amazing to look through. Far better than my Grand Slam, or Leupold VX1 or my Weaver Classic (or whatever it's called). It's made me a scope snob.
    For my wallets sake I better actively avoid looking through a Swarosvki if that can top Leupolds.

Ejected
    First issue, varipower. That in itself takes away from the light properties of any scope.
    Then just go buy a Kahles fixed and kill shit.