Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

New scope choice.... Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x42

Currently in the UK doing the whole OE thing and at some stage, will try and travel to America and potentially buy some new optics.

Scope will likely be mounted on a T3 7mm mag and used primary as a hunting rifle to 650 yards and steel out to 1000 yards with practise.

Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x42

- How do they dial? Are they repeatable? Click values consistent?

- How much internal elevation do they have (where do I find this out?) - scope is likely to be mounted in Lightweight Talley Rings?

Alternatively, what some suggestions for a decent mid range scope with good low and high end magnification, good optics which can dial repeatedly. As much as I love my Weaver Super Slam, I've had a bad run out of losing/breaking parts on it. That said, Weaver has replaced/repaired everything at no cost whatsoever.

Thanks,
    Pop Shot

hey bro ,

Ive got a 6500 2.5-16 elite with tactical/external dials. tis a sweet scope. Optics as clear or clearer than my Leupold Vx-3. Havent dtkialled out to 1000 or even 650 but has positive clicks and works well for me out to 400, always repeatable. I talked to Nathan Foster at terminalballistics research, he believes the 6500s hes worked with dial .25 Inch instead of a true .25 MOA, which would be considerbly different at 1000 yards when diallng. Easy enough to test or calculate for though. The raingaurd is an awesome feature on it an works well. Good optics for the money i say,cant really fault it.

Other scopes in the price range are maybe Mark 4 leupolds if buying overseas (will cost u your left one in nz), your only limited by your wallet on how much you wanna spend

Quote Originally Posted by Pop Shot View Post
    Currently in the UK doing the whole OE thing and at some stage, will try and travel to America and potentially buy some new optics.

Scope will likely be mounted on a T3 7mm mag and used primary as a hunting rifle to 650 yards and steel out to 1000 yards with practise.

Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x42

- How do they dial? Are they repeatable? Click values consistent?

- How much internal elevation do they have (where do I find this out?) - scope is likely to be mounted in Lightweight Talley Rings?

Alternatively, what some suggestions for a decent mid range scope with good low and high end magnification, good optics which can dial repeatedly. As much as I love my Weaver Super Slam, I've had a bad run out of losing/breaking parts on it. That said, Weaver has replaced/repaired everything at no cost whatsoever.

Thanks,
    Pop Shot

The ones I have seen are MOA turrets with MIL reticles which could be pain. If they are all MOA turrets then I would get a normal duplex reticle. If there is a mil/mil combo or moa'/moa they would be good

Quote Originally Posted by horihunter View Post
    The ones I have seen are MOA turrets with MIL reticles which could be pain. If they are all MOA turrets then I would get a normal duplex reticle. If there is a mil/mil combo or moa'/moa they would be good
    I was thinking of getting MOA adjustments and a 'Fine Mulit-X' reticle. Just haven't heard alot about Bushnell 6500's and their dialing capabilities.

Does it still have the ugly Bushnell turrets?

I think I saw a mil/mil bushie while going through the optic zone the other day...... Thats what Id get if you look at that brand
    If its guns, tits or tyres it's going to cost you lots of money

If its guns, tits or tyres it's going to cost you lots of money

Impure Lead Flinger
    Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24x50 FFP, G2 DMR, Matte | Rifle Scopes

I got that one... very nice and repeatable... awesome glass in the 6500s too..

highly recommend them ive had two now and just loved them both

Fishing ... Hunting its all good

Thanks for the input guys. Just thinking at this stage and am more than open to other suggestions (different brands etc).

R93

New scope choice.... Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x42

I agree with Bob. I have had one since they came out. Love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. So please forgive my sausage fingers!!!
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Yeah mate great scopes, I have one on my former 7mm mag. Shoot out to 880m so far on steel.

Also contemplating the two following scopes.

1) Leupold VX3 4.5-14x50 LR with custom M1 turrets.
    2) Leupold VX6 3-18x44 (Never tried the CDS turret design, but from what I've heard .... wonder if M1 turrets can be installed?)
    3) Vortex Viper HS 4-16x50

Havne't really considered European optics as yet - mainly due to the price and I am wanting to upgrade my binoculars whilst I'm over here as well.

Have my eye on the latest Zen Ray HD Prime 10x42 binoculars at the moment ... any one heard anything about or used them?

Over here for a while yet - might even save enough $$$ and get some decent European optics. However, over here to travel and not buy optics .