Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar

New Scope options

Gents (and ladies), I am keen to hear your thoughts for a new rifle scope.
    I have a rifle I want to turn into a 243Win to use as versatile rifle for all types of shooting. A mix of varminting to deer. I will plan to shoot 105g A-Max or VLD as it has a 1:8 barrel.
    I was wanting in a scope
    • Decent glass (obviously)
    • Reasonable magnification (shooting out to 600 so I'd guess 14X would be a good max) but low enough to jump shoot with (say 4X)
    • Lightweight
    • Parralax adjustable (side focus a must)
    • Low adjustable turrets (accurate and repeatable that are not going to hookup on every branch)
    • 30mm tube (not essential but nice)
    • Smallish objective (40mm preferably)

Not much of an ask?
    Thoughts of possible scopes are
    March but they're a bit spendy (plus Proudkiwis review on "that other place that shall not be named" did not sound too cool at the price)
    Swaro Z6 looked a good option (again a bit pricy and the BT turrets looked confusing)
    Nightforce don't really have a smaller option with SF but the 2.5-10 X 32 with velocity recticle looks awesome for another project i have in mind
    Dare I say it the current top contender would have to be the VX3 4.5-14 X 40 with CDS. Ticks all the boxes except the amount of poor feedback re tracking in the CDS.
    I was also thinking, I might wait to see if the new VX6 gets a bigger offering as it appears to be looking like new Leupold flagship scope.
    Any thoughts out there?
    Last edited by kiwijames; 06-02-2012 at 08:14 PM.

Clearidge 2.5-12.5x42

https://theopticzone.com/products-pa...erman-4-matte/

If you get the German #4 reticle can I swap I ordered the wrong one

For what you want the March scopes would be perfect. It was a poorly written post.

I'm happy to put my money where my mouth is too, cause I ordered another one about 30mins ago.

Impure Lead Flinger
    +1 on the march, mines fucking fantastic... If I had to do it again tho Id get the duplex reticle... I have the (3-24x44 FFP) and the reticle irks me so I struggle to see why proudkiwis gone to the extent he has to swap his.... The FFP march version is wayyyyy to fine at low power and wayyy to huge at high power.... At high power it looks drawn on by a 5yr old... as handy as it is as a measurement tool those three things irk me senseless...

tracking is perfect and precise and the turrets are well set up and easy to read, see and click and thats something thats important on a long day at the gallery with guys like Couper and ABE hot on your tail...
    Beside IOR, leupy, nightforce. glass was pretty even with the IOR and I think even swaro or S&B would struggle to top it...

However the alu housing on the march is reasonably soft so "ABE" has to be careful when screwing up your rings...
    the turrets on the hunting models are farking gay so would pay to stay away unless well.. hesatate the thought

In a longrange capable scope with all the whistles thats also hunting suitable... Theres not much around that compares really..

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    Really like my Premier Light Tactical... 3-15 * 50 (so possibly a little big in the objective for you) awesome glass, nice turrets that are simple to use and not too high. I have the Gen II XR reticle in mine, like it a lot too. And importantly, its mil/mil...

sent from my phone... spelling could be average
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

Those Premiers look sooooo sweet. I was drooling when I first saw a review of one. If only they did a 40mm objective. I don't really care too much for FFP or recticle ranging (or even MIL vs MOA, MIL does look so much simpler) as once a drop card is validated it could be any click value. If it hits the mark that's cool for me. I also do not have much free time at present to really get anal with gear. Id rather work harder, make more cash and hae someone else make the best quality product (I can afford).

P.S. dont have kids

The Claw how do you find the recticle on the LT at low power? I had read reviews it is too fine in the XR recticle on low power.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    I was also thinking, I might wait to see if the new VX6 gets a bigger offering as it appears to be looking like new Leupold flagship scope.
    I see they have the VX6 2-12x40 out Leupold VX-6 2-12x42 Non-Illuminated Rifle Scope FREE S&H 111977, 111978. Leupold VX-6 Riflescopes, Leupold Riflescopes.

and I think they are doing a 3-18??? which I reckon would be a pretty good all round scope
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    P.S. dont have kids

Got 2 of them...

The reticle is fine at 3x (in the centre) but the heavier posts give a good reference to the centre. With the illumination on its not a problem.
    Here are some photos of the reticle (not that good sorry) on 3x, 8x, and 15x.

Illumination

Turrets

On the rifle
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

Im picking up my .243 ai this week and have had few thoughts about scopes, I've had a March with the "gay hunting turrets" for a couple of years and would have another one in a heart beat,"gay hunting turrets" and all but Im looking at either the Swaro z3 4-12x50, z5 3-18x44 either with the custom moa turret or the new leupold vx 6 2-12-x42 for this one.The one rev 13 moa you get on the swaro custom turret should get you well past 600 yds and the loopy I think is 20koa per turn it also has a 30mm tube but these no advantage over an inch tube if you dont need the extra elevation.The loopy should be in the $1400 NZ range so the cheapest of the three and it will take alumina flip ups which is a big plus.If Sam would stop posting pics of that bloody Premier I think I would very happy with any of the mentiond three.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Didn't the Z5 get bad reviews in the US? Kind of like the Conquest, a US built attempt at being Euro that failed?

Take them as you will,I dont take to much from reviews unless I have some idea of who wrote it and what their experience and knowledge is.Internet forums are a good example. Any idiot can post what ever they like, even me,and to many people believe it. OK for general impression if you can spot a theme running through a thread but unless I can get some good info from a reliable source then Ill just give it go and make up my own mind.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    I see they have the VX6 2-12x40 out Leupold VX-6 2-12x42 Non-Illuminated Rifle Scope FREE S&H 111977, 111978. Leupold VX-6 Riflescopes, Leupold Riflescopes.

and I think they are doing a 3-18??? which I reckon would be a pretty good all round scope
    No parellax adj though

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    Take them as you will,I dont take to much from reviews unless I have some idea of who wrote it and what their experience and knowledge is.Internet forums are a good example. Any idiot can post what ever they like, even me,and to many people believe it. OK for general impression if you can spot a theme running through a thread but unless I can get some good info from a reliable source then Ill just give it go and make up my own mind.

yeah thats it. there are always going to be people that knock stuff no matter how good it is and some will be negative before the gear even hits the ground.
    Re: no parlex adjustment on the vx6 , Not overly important for my use (mostly bigger animals) but more vaminting /target orientated it would be handy.