Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

New suppressed .303 project.

So I picked up a Lithgow No3* today. It's already been played with a bit, so I don't feel bad playing with it some more. The plan is to shorten it down as much as possible and make an integral suppressor for it that still lets me use the Lyman rear target sight, utilizing a crazy design that popped into my head a little while back. But I'm not sure how short to make the barrel. It's likely to only ever have subsonic loads out of it, but I would like to have the option to shoot factory ammo out of it without tipping leftover powder out the end after every shot.

Any input is appreciated.

Yeah just ordered a synthetic stock and scopemount to fit with my (already sporterised/bastardised) SMLE 303 and will look at shortening it down and putting a suppressor on too.
    I reckon keeping it short and whacking on a fixed sight should make an ok bushgun but I'll prob move to an AR15 style configuration later.
    Presumably will have to hollow out the front of the stock to acommodate the suppressor?
    Sticking with factory ammo for the moment, will follow this thread

Yeah I'll keep the thread updated as I go. The lower forewood on this rifle is pretty thin, I doubt there will be much left in front of the magazine well once the suppressor is on there. I may also look into making a 20 round magazine for it, or maybe adapting a 30 round Bren gun mag for shits and giggles.

So I'm leaning towards a 14 inch barrel, for no other reason than that it's a nice round number, and it will be comfortably above the legal minimum length.

Unless someone has something to say otherwise :p

Quote Originally Posted by AzumitH View Post
    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, or maybe adapting a 30 round Bren gun mag for shits and giggles.
    As Bertie Wooster remarked, "You interest me strangely Old Chap".

PLEASE do have a go and post your results here..............As Big Arnie said, " I'll be back."

I suppressed a N04 a few years back and cut the barrel to 14 inches. Worked fine. I tend to use the pistol calibers now days and at the moment its the 44mag with 310gr slug.

Quote Originally Posted by Tasbay View Post
    I suppressed a N04 a few years back and cut the barrel to 14 inches. Worked fine. I tend to use the pistol calibers now days and at the moment its the 44mag with 310gr slug.
    A good subsonic projectile is something I'll be keeping an eye open for, if .303 just isn't gonna do what I want it to do then .44mag was Plan B lol

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Sapper View Post
    As Bertie Wooster remarked, "You interest me strangely Old Chap".

PLEASE do have a go and post your results here..............As Big Arnie said, " I'll be back."
    I'll hopefully be able to borrow a Bren mag start of next month and have a play around with it. My initial research leads me to believe that the spring may be too strong and cause extreme drag on the bolt, or even throw the round out of the action if pushing the bolt forward too slowly. It's something I definitely want to look at though.