Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree65Likes

Thread: New vortex offering

New vortex offering

Vortex have a 3-15x42 Razor HD out that's only 16oz

Capped low profile target turrets, 1" tube, side parallax adjustment, good mag range, light enough and should have awesome glass. Seems like the perfect scope for $1600ish

What else compares to this that is out there, with weight being a concern

Should be a popular choice, cheaper & lighter than a VX6, cheaper than a Swaro.
    scottrods likes this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

My mate had one, we took it to the farm last week - if he sees this he may comment.

I thought the lightweight hunter was sounding pretty awesome and would be my next scope for the reasons above, weight, glass, capped turrets etc. I wasn't super impressed, I could be out of touch with what hype makes a "good" scope but I didn't think it offered much over the two much cheaper scopes we had there also apart from magnification and the dial ability.
    The final blow was I suggested his scope was skew, turned out the reticle was starting to rotate. Replaced under their uber warranty but hey for $1600 should that really happen?
    Anyway he now has gone to a 30mm Viper Mil/Mil FFP.
    From what I have read the glass is not up with NF,VX6 or the cheaper Viper.
    I also didn't really fancy the reticle options with them.

I would not want one personally after looking through it but then the drama that goes with some of these vortex products adds to it.

I am not anti Vortex and nearly pulled the trigger on the HD LH for myself, but could not help but feel that the awesome warranty would be of no help to my mate if he had actually driven all the way south from up here in the north to chase Tahr and this had happened (that is what he was getting ready for).

my 2C
    Munsey, PerazziSC3, mikee and 1 others like this.

nice - the mag range, weight and price certainly in the sweet spot for hunters. Glass - would have take a look see to know if its up to swaro or vx6 standards. Are they available in NZ yet ?

Quote Originally Posted by chainsaw View Post
    nice - the mag range, weight and price certainly in the sweet spot for hunters. Glass - would have take a look see to know if its up to swaro or vx6 standards. Are they available in NZ yet ?
    Yes they are ,
    Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15x42 HSR-4 Reticle WAS $1789 | Trade Me
    Iv got a 3-15 coming next week, good price from the local shop. Specs look good, the Razor glass has proven to be very good. Difficult to get any feel off the internet but Iv come to appreciate this guys opinion. Vortex Razor HD LH Riflescopes » OpticsThoughts
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin

Quote Originally Posted by sneeze View Post
    Yes they are ,
    Vortex Razor HD LH 3-15x42 HSR-4 Reticle WAS $1789 | Trade Me
    Iv got a 3-15 coming next week, good price from the local shop. Specs look good, the Razor glass has proven to be very good. Difficult to get any feel off the internet but Iv come to appreciate this guys opinion. Vortex Razor HD LH Riflescopes » OpticsThoughts
    Optic Thoughts (ILya Koshkin) has always written pretty balanced reports.

I looked through one at Broncos good mag range , lightweight but this one's reticle was on the piss also why the fuck don't they have a simple duplex reticle option instead of the wank options they have. I went with a leupold vx3i cds instead, at least you know what you get.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    Should be a popular choice, cheaper & lighter than a VX6, cheaper than a Swaro.
    Vortex glass isn't as good but for the price it's definitely a scope to factor in

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

The zeiss hd5 would be a better option I think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    rogers.270 likes this.
    Dont waste your time chasing every last fps, it doesnt matter in the real world, it wont make a difference, all it will do is cause head aches and frustrations. And dont listen to silly old cunts

It would be interesting to see how it stacks up in the low light. I have looked through a few Vortex and although they have a great warranty and are good during the day I would not class then in the same category as the high end leupold, Swaro or S&B. Big step up to VX6 and then from VX6 to Swarovski is another big jump.

Just get a Leupold VX3i CDS, cheaper & lighter..... even in 30mm side focus....

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    Just get a Leupold VX3i CDS, cheaper & lighter..... even in 30mm side focus....
    I'm reluctant to spend good money on a scope that is only 3x magnification range
    Beetroot likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    I'm reluctant to spend good money on a scope that is only 3x magnification range
    4.5-14 works fine for me out to & beyond 1K...don't really see the problem to be fair

I have a few of them so may be biased

I finally even got a VX6 last week

I bought and returned a VX3i last month, Clarity of my 5 yo Zeiss Conquest MC was noticeably better ( IN MY OPINION), I would go with the Zeiss which can be had for $1500.
    steven likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Timmay View Post
    I bought and returned a VX3i last month, Clarity of my 5 yo Zeiss Conquest MC was noticeably better ( IN MY OPINION), I would go with the Zeiss which can be had for $1500.
    Yes the Zeiss has amazing glass