Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar

New Zeiss HD5 line of Conquest scope

Just got the newsletter from CameralandNY and see Zeiss has a new line of scope. It looks good and has a 5X power range, 1" tube a new ballistic turret and re designed Rapid-Z reticles. Looks like a serious threat to the Swaro Z5. The 5-15 X 42 with ballistic turret under a grand US looks like a winner. Hopefully therse ones don't have the same troubles the last did with dialing. I see they are now German assembled too.
    Zeiss - Camera Land NY

I presume this scope would be quite expensive.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar

New Zeiss HD5 line of Conquest scope

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    I presume this scope would be quite expensive.
    Nah quite cheap $999USD compared to the Swaro Z5 which would be its main competition.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

They look impressive , lets hope their build quality has been improved .

Quote Originally Posted by von tempsky fan View Post
    They look impressive , lets hope their build quality has been improved .
    Boom right on, they couldn't get much worse

Any more feedback on these?? ,,,,had a look through one today and was impressed ,,,i have heard the dials are now sweet
    DONT BE A FOOL INDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEFORE YOU PULL

Hi all,

I just purchased my second Conquest scope and am happy with it. (bought online, OpticsPlanet about US$1100). No idea what they cost locally... likely 2k$ or more :-(

My latest was the HD5 5-25x with rapidZ varmint reticule. It's really nice (for me, anyway. I do not own / have experience with other expensive scopes). It is certainly nicer than the older 6.5-20x conquest I own. The power ring and focus ring are now 'rubberized'. The turrets are different too.

The turrets I have are the hunting ones - pull up to turn, and drop down again. They can be zeroed with a screw driver. I think different turret options are available with different powers and reticules.
    Only a 1in tube, but is very clear to me. No sun-shade supplied. Side parallax adjustment - again Zeiss refuse to put numbers on this dial. Only '50yds' to 'infinity' with lines in between, no way to estimate range with these markings.

I have it mounted on a .204 and looking at it, I maybe should have gone with a regular mildot reticule. The varmint reticule has a 'zero' at 200yds, with elevation holdover graduations up to 600yds, something I may never use / practice with enough.

The calculator software used to get the correct holdover seems difficult, I do not know how accurate one can really be with a simple holdover at distances 200-600yds. A rabbit is a very small target. Once you enter your calibre, velocity, bullet coefficient etc, you can adjust the power ring to say 23x power to have your .204 bullet drop matched to the 200 - 600yds lines on the reticule. Maybe established dropchart and clicks on a mildot is better?

Any input / feedback appreciated. Hope this helps some people make a choice, either way.

Cheers,

Len.