Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Newbie query regarding .22 rifles

Newbie query regarding .22 rifles

I'm applying for my FAL as I want a PCP air rifle, but I also currently shoot bunnies on a farm with my springer air rifle, but realistically have to be within 30m to kill them.
    Once I have my FAL I'd be interested in buying a cheapish .22 "real" rifle so I can be more humane with my bunny despatch, and have the luxury of being further away.
    But this whole Centrefire vs rimfire thing confuses me. I understand the difference, and read a lot about the rimfire not being as reliable. Is this really the case? Can get old .22 rifles on TM for $200ish which are cheaper than centrefire. So will one of these do the job reliably, or do I need to spend more and go centrefire?
    And are subsonic .22 available in both types?
    Will probably only get used every couple of months, the PCP air rifle will be my main one to use.
    Cheers for the replies.

northdude
    nothing wrong with 22lr for rabbits just practice with it at different ranges and get used to it

It sounds like you are a little confused
    With center fire and rimfire 22’s massive Difference
    Watch this

https://youtu.be/gjIVpMqHh40

What it sounds like you’re after is a 22lr (long rifle) which is rimfire not centerfire
    Hope that video helps

What did you read exactly that was unreliable about 22 rifles? Accuracy, feeding, misfires or something else?

This can help give you an experienced/educated answer.
    Last edited by Allizdog; 23-08-2020 at 08:11 PM.

Cheers guys will watch that video shortly! Have just read when googling rim vs centrefire that the rimfire wasn't as reliable firing wise, due to the pin having to hit the edge of the projectile? I'm probably making a mountain out of a molehill but know nothing about .22 rifles...just want something reliable for Bunnies only that won't break the bank. Thanks

Cant go wrong with a 22 mate. Cheap ammo, shoot bunnies at distance easily enough once you get your eye in. The reason you can get a cheap ish 22 is because there are so many out there, reason being is everyone has one, if everyone has one surely they must be good. Hope that helps
    Steve123 likes this.
    Go fast, Don’t suck

Yep, thanks guys, appreciate your knowledge. When the time comes I'll grab a cheap .22 off TradeMe or here if there are any. Practice with a cheap one for a while and I guess then I'll get the bug..lol

Yeah you are right, PCPs for a decent one would probably be $1500 secondhand. I live in town and have a large section so like the PCP idea so I can hopefully turn the power down down and take care of birds etc that like to pull out my seedlings etc..been using springers for them and Rats on a farm for a while, with no complaints from the neighbours, but a PCP is much quieter and very accurate. It's a toy for me really and I have the filling gear now which basically cost me nothing. I drop trees on a farm and the elderly owner likes me to shoot rabbits there, but they are becoming more wary of me so getting to within 30m of one now is getting pretty hard.
    I don't ind the pellets etc, all part of the fun for me. Cheers

If it were me I'd be looking at a bolt action Marlin. Accurate , reliable and plenty around so can be had cheap. That's my humble opinion anyway... And use a decent quality scope.
    The reliability issues you have read about probably relates to the cheap ammo rather than the rifle itself. No matter what the gun there's always a round or two that don't go bang.
    mimms2 likes this.
    born to hunt - forced to work

Consider buying one of the old Russian Toz rifles. Rough as guts, but generally very accurate, reliable and cheap. You should get one for about $200 in my experience.

Someone is trying to sell a Marlin .22mag on here for $300 including scope. Hell I been thinking of buying it myself at that price - but I already have one. - However ammo is not cheap.

Biggest advantage of a .22lr is it is cheap - cheap to buy and cheap to run - $70/500 rounds - did I say cheap. For the money you cant go past it

I may be odds with some - but I say a .22lr is good for 50-75 all day every day on hares/rabbits - .22mag for 120m - Personally I prefer the 22-250 or 270 - just makes it easier out to 300+ a close miss will kill them with the shockwave.

MB
    I don't think anyone has mentioned noise. #1 issue for me. A 22LR bolt action rimfire with subsonic ammunition and a suppressor is silent. You won't get that with any other calibre.

Don't go too cheap, buy a reliable gun and scope in good condition or new. Once you see what a good rimfire can do, I think the air rifles will take a back seat.
    mimms2 likes this.

Greetings Altair,
    Strongly recommend the .22 RF. Bolt action is the best choice as they usually shoot well regardless of make as long as some idiot has not damaged the crown with a cleaning rod. Just remember 10 shots is the legal maximum for magazines these days and there are probably still a few tube mag .22's out there that hold more. A box mag would be my preference. I have found that the sub sonic ammo is pretty quiet even without a suppressor and the faster stuff is noisy in spite of one. You need a scope to get the best out of a .22. I zero mine at 60 metres which gets you close to the line of sight out to 65 metres or so. This will be a big improvement over the air rifle. You will buy other rifles over time but you will likely always have a .22 RF. I still have my first one.
    Regards and all the best Grandpamac.
    bumblefoot and Jewcati like this.

Everything will come down to use and investment , and the more you use/invest the more you will want to spend . Going down the PCP route will make your eyes water , but you will really want to cry once . This is what you can achieve with PCP's https://www.youtube.com/user/MoshDubber/videos .
    As for 22lr you can spend as little as you want and get an acceptable rifle combination or can go better , about $500+ , but there is little difference between a PCP and 22 except $$$$ .

Quote Originally Posted by altair View Post
    Yeah you are right, PCPs for a decent one would probably be $1500 secondhand. I live in town and have a large section so like the PCP idea so I can hopefully turn the power down down and take care of birds etc that like to pull out my seedlings etc..been using springers for them and Rats on a farm for a while, with no complaints from the neighbours, but a PCP is much quieter and very accurate. It's a toy for me really and I have the filling gear now which basically cost me nothing. I drop trees on a farm and the elderly owner likes me to shoot rabbits there, but they are becoming more wary of me so getting to within 30m of one now is getting pretty hard.
    I don't ind the pellets etc, all part of the fun for me. Cheers
    Bear in mind its illegal to discharge a firearm "Near" a dwelling house.
    Arms Legislation Act 2020 No 23, Public Act 75 Section 48 replaced (Discharging firearm, airgun, pistol, or restricted weapon in or near dwellinghouse or public place) – New Zealand Legislation

I thought it was illegal within a city or town boundary too but that might be just be common misunderstanding. Near dwelling house pretty much covers the majority of towns / citys anyway.

By law its up to you to determine a safe firing zone, with a safe backstop. No idea on how your property is but 22LR do ricochet often and carry more energy down range than a .177 Same with PCP. *Edit* PCPs are classified as firearms.
    So i would keep the .177 for birds at home and use use the 22LR for rabbits on the farm. No need for heavy investment in a PCP