Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree46Likes

Thread: Nikko Stirling Gold Crown

Nikko Stirling Gold Crown

One of these has come into my possession on a rifle I bought. I'm guessing its 1970s vintage. It's a 3.5-10×40 duplex. Kinda surprised how clear the optics are although clearly (pun intended) eclipsed by an older Leupold I have and a new Vortex Crossfire II ($400)scope.

I'm not super big on expensive glass as most of my shooting is under 250m. Well, pretty much all of it actually.
    So if it holds zero I'll probably leave it on the rifle as it is.

I'm interested any anyone else's experiences of these. Yea I know I should spend 10 times the value of the rifle on an optic.....etc etc... But it would be interesting to know how much bacon (veni), comes home courtesy of budget or less than stellar optics. I have an acquaintance in his mid-70s who showed me his original beat up 222 BSA he bought new as a govt culler back in the day. He had rebarreled it having worn the original out, but still had the original scope on it. Dented, scratched and God knows how he could see thru it but he could still clover leaf 3 shots at 100m with it - an old Nikko Stirling, made in Japan, 3-9×40.

So c'mon guys, we hear plenty about long ranger shots with adjustable this that and the other, with dope cards, anemometers and ballistics calculators. Let's hear about some ordinary rigs that regularly fill the freezer.

Here's my new/old Nikko Stirling Gold Crown...

Name:  20211206_194323.jpg
Views: 1001
Size:  880.7 KB
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

the 3x9x40mm version has the best field of view by a large margin of any 3x Ive ever seen...... one came on my .223 25 years ago and is still going strong on rifle finnwolf now owns....
    Ive killed 2 of them,both on .270...rough handling and possibly overuse of CRC 5.56 etc for cleaning when rifles soaking wet more than likely the deciding factor in the dreaded fogging. but the darn things never lost zero and the light gathering and field of view more than made up for anything else.

The early Nikko scopes were made in Japan and were ok for the price. Had a Gold crown for years , first on a .308 then many years on a Rossi .357. Always held zero... don`t actually remember what happend to it.
    Jhon likes this.

The old 70s issue gold crowns were made in Japan.
    Think they were steel and meant to be relatively robust cost effective scopes but the glass not up to the level of the better ones.
    Jhon likes this.

Iv got a old nikko stirling diamond 1.5x6x44 on my 308.Made in Japan.Deadly little scope,good glass and very accurate dialing.No problem shooting deer to 300yds.Name:  20211206_202116.jpg
Views: 951
Size:  317.1 KBJust waiting on my new delta.

Have an old 1978? Nikko Stirling Gold Crown 4x40 scope sitting in the cupbourd. Lived on three differant 308's, .222 for a while and stupidly put it on a BSA Meteor air rifle. The air rifle f#cked it, reticle broke at crosshair. Up until then it never lost zero after untold number of shots, was as clear as most scopes I've looked through and performed well at dawn/dusk. Have every so often thought of getting it repaired but never got around to it. Still got it just out of nostalgia I guess. As stated on another thread I think that even the newer Nikko Sterling scopes are under-rated, certainly can't bag them considering the punishment I give them at times. But then again I also rate my 2x Leupold M8 4x scopes and steel Burris 3-7 mini fairly high.
    Last edited by woods223; 06-12-2021 at 09:30 PM.
    Micky Duck and Jhon like this.

I have a nikko sterling 4 x 40 platinum? I think, sitting in the cupboard waiting to be mounted on my jw15. Have had it for ages. Can't even remember where I brought it.

I have a Zastava 308 with one, mounted nice and low in steel rings. It is a great combo that points really well. They are way better than their price point would suggest and they have a great field of view.
    Trout and Jhon like this.

I had the same model switched it between several rifles. It always worked. One feature I liked was that although not "tacticool the turrets were marked off so you could see how many rotations you had wound on.
    kristopher, Micky Duck and Jhon like this.

Banned
    Great lenses and great with a spotlight but the Ali tubes are soft so dont bash it around

Name:  IMG20211207070957.jpg
Views: 1144
Size:  2.07 MB
    Zastava 308 with Nikko Stirling Gold 3.5-10x

Quote Originally Posted by Bol Tackshin View Post
    Attachment 185362
    Zastava 308 with Nikko Stirling Gold 3.5-10x
    Same as mine, how long have you had it? How do you find it?
    I know a lot but it seems less every day...

I've had it for just over 3 years. It's an honest scope that holds its zero, is well made, is actually quite clear for the money. There are many scopes that have more features, but I enjoy having a set and forget scope on my hunting rifle.

I don't shoot often enough to feel confident with dialling. If I was to go that route, I'd get a tacticool scope for the rimfire and learn on that.
    Moa Hunter and Jhon like this.

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jhon View Post
    So c'mon guys, we hear plenty about long ranger shots with adjustable this that and the other, with dope cards, anemometers and ballistics calculators. Let's hear about some ordinary rigs that regularly fill the freezer.
    You do not need scopes to shoot animals either, but you use scope nevertheless because scopes makes shooting accurately easier.

Same logic applies to better scopes. Better scopes makes shooting accurately easier yet again.

In the end of the day it whether the gain from the better scope is worth the money is a personal decision based on personal circumstance. If you have free hunting access, plenty of time to hunt, thus plenty of opportunities to get an animal, then there is little value in getting a better scope. But if you have a full time job and little kids and live in the middle of a big city, hunting opportunity is scarce, then that extra chance afforded by a better scope is quite important.
    Trout and norsk like this.

And it depends on your disposable income too. For some it's no the amount spent is no object; whereas for some of us we look for the best bang for buck
    Jhon likes this.