Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: Nikko Stirling LR issues...

Nikko Stirling LR issues...

Went away with the youngest to blood the .223 combo's that I have been putting together.

Both .223 rifles wear Nikko Stirling LR scopes in 4-16X50 and 6-24X50.

When I chose the original 6-24X50, I was impressed by the clarity even up to 24 power. It was not a generous eye box, but it was still reasonably clear for a $500 "Long Range" scope.
    After sending the first one back with illumination issues, I was sent another brand new scope with no questions asked so credit to the importer for dealing with that so quickly.
    I mounted the scope a week ago, and was sighting in yesterday when I noticed the windage dial was faulty and on 24x the sight picture was hazy. I thought I must have some kind of residue on the objective lens so cleaned it only to find it was just a a terrible picture.

I'm going to take it back tomorrow and let the local Hunt Fish store know the issues with it.
    The 4-16x50 is ok and works fine, in fact, the reticle is super nice, very functional and also has a nice sight picture but quite touchy on 16X as to be expected.

Am I within my rights to ask for money back or store credit? I mean, this is the second scope I'm returning and I do not want another.

shouldve bought a loopy...... go back to store and see what they have to say,nothing to loose.

Interesting, I got one in 6-24, mounted it on a 223 , it was beyond terrible, it would not focus with the parallax wheel, like looking through a dirty glass. I pissed away a lot of time and ammo . Returned it and they got me in a Vortex, awesome.
    For budget optics I like Nikko Stirling and had two excellent Nighteaters but that LR range is very hit and miss. Shame they were onto a winner for the money but shit is shit at any price.
    SlimySquirrel likes this.

Yep, I hear ya both. I guess when you look through one and its decent, you expect them all to be. .. anyway...I'll head in and ask.

northdude
    must be a dud batch ive got quite a few nikkos and havnt had a dud yet even my lr is all good
    mudgripz likes this.

Lifetime warranty on Nikko now ( against manufacturers faults) ask them to get a credit against the scope as its the second, and buy a decent scope, as said above the night eater and Panamax seem to be good scopes for the money.

Apparently the 2 biggest cunts on here lol Philipo's Avatar
    Sorry to sound like a cunt, but you get what you pay for.

There are plenty of decent budget priced scopes from reputable manufactures that work well nowadays, stop being such a tight wad & just pay a little extra for something like a Bushnell etc
    Shootm, Kiwi Greg, craigc and 5 others like this.
    Shoot it, root it & then BBQ it !!!

Was waiting for the "buy a more expensive scope" statement.
    Yep, I know they're cheap and you get what you pay for.

Wasn't expecting Nightforce at this price point, just a functioning scope that works as advertised.

I looked through one the other week whilst cronoing a guys rifle at the range.

It certainly looked the business with the dials etc

Looked through it on about 9 power & thought "well I guess that's not to bad"

Wound it up to 24 & it definitely resembled a dirty Coke bottle.... I could see the target so I guess that's all that mattered

I don't say anything, there is no way too without sounding like a complete arse....

Kinda difficult though when I've been looking through other scopes just minutes before that do what they say on the box, all be it at much more $$$$$

It doesn't matter who makes it some are better than others in the same model & they all can fail...

Cheap isn't cheap anymore when it has to be returned because it failed after sighting in or out hunting.

Quite often the scope/mounts are the last thing that's blamed when a rifle won't shoot.

northdude
    Its all very well saying they are shit but what are you comparing them to in exactly the SAME price range you'd be pretty pissed if your million dollar scope wasn't streets ahead

I'm not bagging them.

I'm just saying that I've had two scopes that have failed. One had decent clarity on 24x and the other is horrid at that power.

As you said @Kiwi Greg the low power is actually decent and the reticle is very nice. Maybe if they go for a bit more quality in the glass and bump the price up $150-200 then it will be a budget winner.

The 4-16 is pretty good really for the money and it works well. The youngster smashed some turkeys at 100 then held over using the reticle on 8 power and mowed a couple more at 200.

I think I'll move into a Bushnell Extreme for me if I get store credit as @Philipo suggested. No, I don't think you're a cunt by the way and I would like your and others opinion on the suggested Bushnell!

https://www.huntingandfishing.co.nz/...doa-lr800.html

or the 4-16 model.

northdude
    Yea I know your not bagging them unfortunately you've got a couple of duds but that can happen with any brand obviously the lower priced brands will be more susesptable but there have been posts on the higher end stuff failing as well

just mention the Consumer Guarantees Act.
    It's not 'fit for purpose' and if it was the 2nd one they supplied you, and that two wasn't 'fit for purpose'. get a refund
    and that doesn't mean store credit!

As what @Scooby said you're entitled to a refund doesn't have to be store credit.

Still though... For $500 you'd be expecting the scope to certainly be usable.

i know one person who was told they only offer store credit when they were having issues with something (repaired twice within 2 years and failed again). so they replied back, i only accept store credit plus 25% or we take it to the media that you wont honor the CGA
    they got offered cash or SC+25% in the end
    remind them, you're the one getting screwed around having to go back and forth with goods that are 'not fit for purpose'.
    gadgetman and SlimySquirrel like this.