Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By FletchNZ

Thread: Nikon M-223

Nikon M-223

Hey guys, has anyone tried one of the Nikon M-223s? Considering getting this one for my Howa.

Nikon M223 2-8 X 32 Black Matte, Nikoplex Reticle, 8486, Rifle Scope: Arcadian Sales
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

R93
    No but I like a bit more magnification on the .223 if I need it. They would be nice in a higher mag range.
    I have a wee Nikon 2-7 on a .22. It has been thru hell and hardly looks like a scope now, but it is still trucking along.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

FletchNZ has one. It's a nice scope for the money. Only irritating feature is the lack of reference markings to say how much you have dialled. Glass is good. He has the 4-12(?)

My mate had one on his .223. Worked a charm but he had the same problem with losing his reference when it came to dialing.

Cheers guys, when you say losing reference what do you mean? From what I have read they have a zero stop at 100 and then marked in 100 incriments out to 600?
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

I have the 3-12x BDC - not zero stop. The BDC has a different reticule allowing you to use that for drop but you can still dial out on the turrets if you want. Also on Nikon's website they have a web app call spot on which makes drop charts for your specific reticule, you pick the projectile and enter the FPS and it works it all out. Overall I'm very happy with it, nice glass and the BDC works well once you get the hang of it, my only downside I've found is that the turrets can get bumped off zero and i've found it click or 2 either side of zero when getting out of the ute possum hunting.

Since buying the Nikon I've ended up with a P22 2-7x and have a monarch 2-10x in the mail now - to me they are the best value glass for the money.

Nikon M223 3-12x is the top one
    Name:  P1030392 (Small).JPG
Views: 2783
Size:  99.9 KB
    R93 likes this.

Cheers Fletch, yeah I am completely sold on them as a value for money scope, have a Monarch on my 7mmRM with the BDC reticule, hasn't put a foot wrong yet!
    Was thinking about the nikkoplex for the .223 cause I like the idea of the zero stop that it supposedly has(?) Does worry me with the turrets exposed that you could spin them, especially on the windage, pity they don't have a screw cap over them.

The spot-on is really cool too!

Yeah don't get me wrong - the turrets are great when lying prone out in the open and using a dropchart to dial out, its quick, easy and the click are nice and clear. The next scope I ordered was a Nikon monarch 2-10x as it had a mildot reticule and covered caps so I can use it in the bush as well as the open but I wont have the easy ability to dial out(unless I spring for those fancy turrets).

I cant stand exposed turrets. the idea that I may have caught them on my jacket or something since last firing the rifle would flash thru my mind just as im squeezing the trigger.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill999 View Post
    I cant stand exposed turrets. the idea that I may have caught them on my jacket or something since last firing the rifle would flash thru my mind just as im squeezing the trigger.
    That's what the referance markings are for - so you know

I have a 2-8x32 m-223 sat in a box without a rifle to go on at the moment. If you wanted to borrow it for a couple of weeks to try, you're more than welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    That's what the referance markings are for - so you know
    Yeah it only take a second to glance that its set to zero.

Quote Originally Posted by Grue View Post
    I have a 2-8x32 m-223 sat in a box without a rifle to go on at the moment. If you wanted to borrow it for a couple of weeks to try, you're more than welcome.
    Cheers for that Grue, might order one in the next week or so, so won't hassle you to get it alll the way up north and back, thank you for the kind offer anyway!