Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Nikon or my Anschutz WTF????

Banned

Nikon or my Anschutz WTF????

Two Nikon Prostaff 4x32 Rimfire scopes in a row broken crosshairs on my Anschutz 22LR. These replaced a Leopold rimfire, broken crosshairs.

Took the Nikon Monarch off my rem mag, where it was functioning fine (may have broken then), mounted it on the Anschutz. 1" @ 25m 2" @ 50m

Something not right here. I hold the scope at a teeny angle so there is a little reflection on the cross hairs, elevation has a visible crack, windage has a crack and with a visible hole in it.

I've never broken a cross hair on any other rifle. Rings have been changed in there somewhere.

spring air rifles and crossbows are murder on scopes. a 22lr should give no issues at all
    timattalon, Cordite and rewa like this.

The rings/mounts on the rifle arent up the shit and twisting the scope?

Go buy a sightron S1 3-9 x 40. You won't regret the $250. Very bright optic for the money and will let you shoot well into the twilight.
    GSP HUNTER, northdude and dannyb like this.

Auckland, until I can escape south....to Southland.
    Quote Originally Posted by Walker View Post
    Go buy a sightron S1 3-9 x 40. You won't regret the $250. Very bright optic for the money and will let you shoot well into the twilight.
    If he’s already broken 2 Nikons, and a Leupold, I imagine he won’t be keen to add a Sightron to the list.
    New rings might be worth a look.
    Sika stag and rewa like this.
    He nui to ngaromanga, he iti to putanga.

You depart with mighty boasts, but you come back having done little.
    Sounds like a typical hunting trip !

ebf
    Did you use the same rings to mount all 3 scopes ?
    Micky Duck likes this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

sneakywaza I got
    Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Two Nikon Prostaff 4x32 Rimfire scopes in a row broken crosshairs on my Anschutz 22LR. These replaced a Leopold rimfire, broken crosshairs.

Took the Nikon Monarch off my rem mag, where it was functioning fine (may have broken then), mounted it on the Anschutz. 1" @ 25m 2" @ 50m

Something not right here. I hold the scope at a teeny angle so there is a little reflection on the cross hairs, elevation has a visible crack, windage has a crack and with a visible hole in it.

I've never broken a cross hair on any other rifle. Rings have been changed in there somewhere.
    Might have to check rings and mounts for "true" and then lap rings to be sure. Tension/torsion on the scope tube will magnify recoil stress.
    Moa Hunter and rewa like this.

A semi or bolt gun ?

Banned
    Bolt action. Three different sets of rings. I recon it's straight, but maybe not.

It is possible all those scopes were shit. They all did plenty of hunting and plenty of vehicle time. The other scopes I forgot I broke cross hairs in were two Zeiss conquests.

I have a VX-3 to go on it, so we will see if it survives.

something definately wrong.....lapping doesnt appear to be that hard to do.....maybe find bar of correct diametre and just fit that in rings and have a plurry good look....bro in laws bakail shitted a couple of cheap 4x32s before we put a single piece airgun mount on it to cure twisting issue...the x39mm isnt huge recoiler either so the twisted rings thing mustnt need much.
    rewa likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    @Tussock geez ya rough bro haha ive bounced monarchs n buckmasters around on my quad and bigger cals aint busted one 🙃
    Moa Hunter likes this.

It seems pretty unlikely to me that three scopes all have the same problem...

I use and love Nikon's never had any issues with mine. Including Prostaff Rimfire, and Monarchs.
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

Jeez your a wrecker haha

This sounds more like an odd coincidence rather than the savage recoil of the 22lr

Sounds to me like the mounts on the rifle must be out of alignment if every other variable has been tested?

Even Anschutz can have things slip through quality control I guess.
    Last edited by GravelBen; 23-03-2020 at 10:22 PM.

Air rifles are really tough on scopes no matter the quality and in the early days 10/22 used to destroy scopes until a recoil buffer was added.
    Something not right there and all three with broken cross hairs is beyond coincidence.
    rewa likes this.