Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mudgripz

Thread: Norinco JW-15a optics?

Norinco JW-15a optics?

Currently, I have a no-brand 3-9x40 mounted on my Norinco, but I am wanting a little more magnification. Ideally, something in the 3-12 or 4-12 bracket that can dial somewhat repeatedly. I tried mounting a AR 3-12x40 that I borrowed from a mate, but the eye box was too big to allow the bolt to cycle.

I know there is the option of heating and bending the bolt handle, but I figured a few of you must own a rifle like this and can offer suggestions on what scopes work with the limited bolt clearance.

Also, if anyone has a .22 rimfire suppressor for sale. Flick me a PM.

Cheers.

I have a JW15 that came with a gun city scope which is pretty average, it is a pig to adjust and will one day get replaced with the Redfield off my 22.250 when I can afford to get a bigger one for that rifle.

Taller mounts as per @muzza, and a cheek pad of some sort if the scope's sitting a bit too high.

Like thisName:  index.jpg
Views: 350
Size:  3.2 KB
    RIP Harry F. 29/04/20

I have a 3-9 vx1 on mine but see no reason why you couldnt mount whatever you like with mounts to suit?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I don't know why you would want anything more that a 3-9 on a .22. but yes as others have said you can use cheap mounts too as there is next to no recoil to knock them around. I have always found the bolt to be too close to the scope anyway. could do with an extra inch on the handle to stop squishing your fingers against the scope.

Quote Originally Posted by William View Post
    I don't know why you would want anything more that a 3-9 on a .22. but yes as others have said you can use cheap mounts too as there is next to no recoil to knock them around. I have always found the bolt to be too close to the scope anyway. could do with an extra inch on the handle to stop squishing your fingers against the scope.
    We used to fit 4-12 Nikko Stirling Airkings with the adjustable objective. It is what I use on my personal 22 as well. Designed to withstand the harsh vibrations of an air rifle as well as being able to focus on closer targets makes the great for 22s. Anywhere that sells Howa should be able to help. There are some 4-16s here and I have access to a JW to make sure I have rings to fit it if you wanted to go real big, but personally 16x is probably more than a 22 needs.

We have modded quite alot of JW bolts to stop bumping rear scope bell. Can do it with a grinder and vice in minutes. Just grind down/flatten the lower section of bolt arm, then take off 1/3rd of the bolt ball.

Then finish with grinder, polish with wet and dry, and touch up with blue. Leaves bolt tidy with sufficient clearance for most 22 scopes. Taller rings should do it for you. They don't have to be steels for the recoil-less .22LR - but good to get solid double screw ali ones.

If you want 12x power on a hunter 22 - Nikkos good as noted above, Tascos pretty good eg 4-16 World Class, and entry level Bushnell scopes. Not necessarily dial scopes but they're durable and will usually hold zero well.
    timattalon likes this.

Any photos @mudgripz

No photos sorry ...