Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Druid

Thread: old .303

old .303

i have acquired a few rifles from my dads collection including this old .303, its in mint condition, the bores still even still shiny, the only thing is its missing the end sight, is there any chance or getting a replacement? I'm guessing it might have a bit of history as well having 1901 marked on it has anyone got any info on these old rifles?

Name:  DSCF0309.jpg
Views: 2647
Size:  1,001.3 KBName:  DSCF0310.jpg
Views: 1634
Size:  874.7 KBName:  DSCF0311.jpg
Views: 1550
Size:  811.2 KBName:  DSCF0312.jpg
Views: 1775
Size:  784.8 KBName:  DSCF0313.jpg
Views: 1495
Size:  963.8 KBName:  DSCF0316.jpg
Views: 1506
Size:  972.0 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Lee Metford. Someone will have a sight somewhere. Might have been used in the Boar War. Or WWI. Or Home guard. Or all. I think after the first world war they re-manufactured them out of spare parts so it isn't uncommon to have a mish mash of random serial numbers. The rifle that the Kiwi's landed on Gallipoli with. From what I've read they ditched them for the Aussies No.1's when they could. A lot of history in these old guns, never know where they have been or who has carried them.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    Lee Metford. ................
    Sorry, not necessarily so. It could be a Magazine Lee Enfield. ( Nick name "Long Tom") Until you peer up the spout, you will not know.

what do you mean by "peer up the spout"? is there something that tells them apart?

Rifling pattern

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Sapper View Post
    Sorry, not necessarily so. It could be a Magazine Lee Enfield. ( Nick name "Long Tom") Until you peer up the spout, you will not know.
    True that

Sorry, but I overlooked actually assisting the OP with his questions...Here my tuppence worth then and I am sure that others can improve upon it.

i have acquired a few rifles from my dads collection including this old .303, its in mint condition, the bores still even still shiny,

If the bore resembles "shiny" in any way, then it probably is a M.L.E. Magazine Lee Enfield. I doubt the chances of a Lee Metford which fired black powder 303 to start with then subsequently changed to cordite 303 would have anything resembling "shiny" in the bore. On the matter of the bore, have a squizz up the spout and if you can see conventional rifling , then it is a MLE. If there appears to be series of grooves (Larger than rifling) then she is a L.M.

the only thing is its missing the end sight,

Apart from the bolt, which should also have it's dust cover attached? And it appears that she had some range sights fitted and they have been removed along with the rear lobbing sight. Still operational tho' once you get a fore sight fitted.

is there any chance or getting a replacement?

There will be many remnants of these around but IMHO your best method would be to approach a gunsmith to first source then attach, then site in the missing fore sight.

I'm guessing it might have a bit of history as well having 1901 marked on it has anyone got any info on these old rifles?

Google "Magazine Lee Enfield" and make sure that you don't end up with lotsa Short MLE results. Also try Googling "Long Tom rifle”. Must include "rifle" otherwise you will end up with lotsa american artillery results As to what I suspect she actually is, the correct title is as we all well know ‘Magazine Lee Enfield” and she was the first product of the Lee Enfield partnership. She can also pass herself off as a Lee Metford if necessary as long as nobody peers up her spout :>) Your girl was born in 1901 and would have seen service with the NZ Defence Forces during the time of the second Boer and First World War. When she became obsolete prior to World War 2, she would probably have been handed down to a New Zealand Home Guard Unit, Check for stamps on the receiver "HG"

Whoa, nice piece, would look wicked cleaned up, even the coffee table is a classic
    Grouchy Smurf had it right all along...

Well , I have one of these in original condition and it is a Lee Enfield No1* AKA Long Tom , the E on the nocks form is for Enfield , In 1901 these rifles were taken to South Africa for the last part of the Boer War , vert few saw action , the rifle is missing a few inches of barrel and fore stock wood and a barrel band , and top wood as well as the foresight . It has been shortened for cadet target use , as can be seen by the target sight base on the rear of the action . The Military fore sight has been long removed and some sort of dovetail sight has been fitted , The two arrows with the S above and below them show it was sold out of service and not stolen , as a lot were stolen by the troops on their return from SA , the barrel etc has been re blued with a cold blue , the sight on the side of the fore stock is the front lobbing or long range sight , showing this started life as a rifle not a carbine , it still has the magazine cut off and the correct magazine which is nice .When it was used as a target rifle the sling swivel in front of the mag was used not the rear one .
    If you want to see a complete one, the AK War Memorial Museum has one on display in the school section , being held by a cadet in uniform

This is my one , Id love a Cadet one in good nick .
    Left side

Rear Lobbing sight

Right side

Home Guard Marks and Enfield E

Front lobbing sight

Magazine with retaining loop

This is was carved by the guy who took it to South Africa , he was from Christchurch

Socket detail

Rear view , the cutoff is the loop in the right

NZ Army rack and issue marks

Bayonet lug and fore sight

Inspectors acceptance mark on stock
    Last edited by Druid; 18-02-2013 at 02:55 PM.
    veitnamcam likes this.
    Get as close as you can then six feet closer

Re: old .303

Nice informative post :thumbup:

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.