Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree21Likes
  • 13 Post By viper
  • 2 Post By northdude
  • 1 Post By Friwi
  • 1 Post By viper
  • 2 Post By tanqueray
  • 1 Post By viper
  • 1 Post By Fireflite

Thread: Old School Cool.... Rem 788

Old School Cool.... Rem 788

This is a long a dirty story but I will leave out the Dirt ( Motley Crue.... watch the movie on Netflick or read the book, fucken awesome ).
    A simple tale of a Remington 788 / 308 that was given to me by a family member who could no longer shoot.
    Brought 2nd hand by the guy that gave it to me so God only knows it history but it's in great condition and although not mint it's still in very good condition.

Now I don't like the big banger's , my posts show I am a rimfire guy and a serious varmint hunter.
    The big stuff is loud, the recoil is unpleasant and hurts my shoulder, @ Rushy can you please pass my hankie, my eyes seem to be watering.
    I don't like shooting deer and despite how good they taste it's not my thing..............alright on the BBQ it's my thing.

Anyway the rifles old school ( i don't think there's a piece of plastic on the whole rifle, pressed parts but no plastic ) but has a cult reputation and despite a few guys on the forum here @ northdude and others loving the model I wasn't very excited about the whole thing.
    Got Mark from Desert Guns to fit a suppressor I had , he said it had very good bones and a great pedigree , I fitted a scope off another rifle and sighted it in..... LOUD,no recoil pad @ Gibo can you pass the box of tissues please.

Anyway it turns out the old girl has a reputation well earned both with the bench rest crowd and hunters, 12mm group at 110yrds with off the shelf ammo, fuck knows what it would do with hand loads, trigger job and someone who can shoot above my muppet level.Name:  IMG_20190505_161239.jpg
Views: 692
Size:  8.60 MBName:  IMG_20190505_150445.jpg
Views: 522
Size:  2.05 MB

northdude
    yep that looks like a typical group who needs a fancy whiz bang fashion rifle when you've got one that shoots like that I think the mag release might be plastic but not sure mines missing took mine out for a shoot yesterday same groups as yours
    Dublin and baronPolarbear like this.

Hey Bud , nope the mag's steel, pressed but 100% steel.

northdude
    even the catch button thing on the back of it

The but plate is made of plastic:-)
    northdude likes this.

Fuck Dud, half pissed on a Sunday evening, had to get my keys to the safe, I don't have a magnet but looks liken steel , cheap and pressed but honestly plastic technology wasn't great 40 years back, this thing would have split or got brittle,
    my mag looks mint, pretty sure it's steel , everything.
    northdude likes this.

Good shit. They were great rifles and sold well in their day. One day I'll have one.

What ammo did u get in the end?
    "The generalist hunter and angler is a well-fed mofo" - Steven Rinella

The 222 I had when I started culling goats shot very well almost as well as the Sako 222 that replaced it.

Nice rifle, pretty plain back in its day but a classic now.

Every time I see an old rifle threaded for a suppressor another little part of me dies.
    7mmsaum and veitnamcam like this.
    More meplat, more better.

Bloody @Friwi, yeah maybe, in fact I think your right but I am not getting it back out of the safe again. @Dama dama, just grabbed a box of 150gr Fiochhii soft points, got a feeling it will shoot most stuff well.

Yep it's plain Jane alright , sorry @tanqueray but I even posted on here a couple of months back weather I was committing an unholy sin by getting it suppressed and everyone said nah it's just a 788, no big deal, it will never be a classic
    tanqueray likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    This is a long a dirty story but I will leave out the Dirt ( Motley Crue.... watch the movie on Netflick or read the book, fucken awesome ).
    A simple tale of a Remington 788 / 308 that was given to me by a family member who could no longer shoot.
    Brought 2nd hand by the guy that gave it to me so God only knows it history but it's in great condition and although not mint it's still in very good condition.

Now I don't like the big banger's , my posts show I am a rimfire guy and a serious varmint hunter.
    The big stuff is loud, the recoil is unpleasant and hurts my shoulder, @ Rushy can you please pass my hankie, my eyes seem to be watering.
    I don't like shooting deer and despite how good they taste it's not my thing..............alright on the BBQ it's my thing.

Anyway the rifles old school ( i don't think there's a piece of plastic on the whole rifle, pressed parts but no plastic ) but has a cult reputation and despite a few guys on the forum here @ northdude and others loving the model I wasn't very excited about the whole thing.
    Got Mark from Desert Guns to fit a suppressor I had , he said it had very good bones and a great pedigree , I fitted a scope off another rifle and sighted it in..... LOUD,no recoil pad @ Gibo can you pass the box of tissues please.

Anyway it turns out the old girl has a reputation well earned both with the bench rest crowd and hunters, 12mm group at 110yrds with off the shelf ammo, fuck knows what it would do with hand loads, trigger job and someone who can shoot above my muppet level.Attachment 110480Attachment 110481
    And a "I am a rimfire guy and a serious varmint hunter" with "Piss Poor Accuracy" like that! Yeah Right!
    Give it to me and stop embarrassing yourself!
    viper likes this.

Cool rifle alright. When I was younger i always wanted a Remington 600 Mohawk! Always liked shorty rifles

Had a mate who brought one brand new in 243 , had a very short barrel for the period with quite a heavy contour .

ex family acquaintance had a short barrelled 243. It was also a tack driver.
    I doubt I have ever heard a bad word about them. Always shot well regardless of the rear locking action. They just shoot. Just as well as big brother 700
    It makes a good conspiracy theory as to why they stopped making them.
    Also as to why they didn't start making them again after the 783, 710 and 770 models weren't always what they were cracked up to be.

Name:  IMG_1306.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  115.5 KB

I have upgraded mine to the 21st century:
    Carbon stock and stainless barrel :-)