Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Older M70 223 - Opinons??

Older M70 223 - Opinons??

Hello Guys

I'm looking for a new (to me) 223 and the LGS has a very nice condition Winny Model 70 push feed, short action "Lightweight" - so its a 308 length action with a modified magazine to accommodate the shorter 223. Must date from the pre 2000's and I doubt its fired more than a few boxes of ammo. Collector value is gone as its threaded, that doesn't bug me, neither does the fact that it'll have a 1:12 twist barrel. Not light by todays standards but pretty slim and has a very natural balance and "point".

There's never been a M70 in my gun cabinet before that I've shot (I do have a shortened 6.5x55 one put away for a cobber).

Anyone running one like it?? Thoughts??

My first centrefire rifle was an M70 Featherweight .223 back in the early 1990's. It was a great hunting rifle, I liked it a lot and shot heaps of goats with it around Poverty Bay and Bay of Plenty.
    Unfortunately it was a right-handed rifle. I am left-handed. It was the last RH rifle I ever owned.
    Recall it shot well with Belmont 60 gr. Hornady SP and Winchester 64 gr PowerPoints.
    Last edited by rockland; 24-11-2020 at 11:06 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Tentman View Post
    Hello Guys

I'm looking for a new (to me) 223 and the LGS has a very nice condition Winny Model 70 push feed, short action "Lightweight" - so its a 308 length action with a modified magazine to accommodate the shorter 223. Must date from the pre 2000's and I doubt its fired more than a few boxes of ammo. Collector value is gone as its threaded, that doesn't bug me, neither does the fact that it'll have a 1:12 twist barrel. Not light by todays standards but pretty slim and has a very natural balance and "point".

There's never been a M70 in my gun cabinet before that I've shot (I do have a shortened 6.5x55 one put away for a cobber).

Anyone running one like it?? Thoughts??
    Buy it it sounds cool. Always liked those things.

How many $$'s are they asking?

I've had a few M70s. Triggers are pretty crap factory but cheap and easy to replace or tickle up as they are the very simple M98 design. The wood on them can be a bit boring and from memory they are lacquer stained so if you really wanted to tart one up stripping it and oil finishing it does them wonders. All mine have been very accurate, had one in 6.5x55 which is on the regret I sold it list.
    nor-west likes this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    I've had a few M70s. Triggers are pretty crap factory but cheap and easy to replace or tickle up as they are the very simple M98 design. The wood on them can be a bit boring and from memory they are lacquer stained so if you really wanted to tart one up stripping it and oil finishing it does them wonders. All mine have been very accurate, had one in 6.5x55 which is on the regret I sold it list.
    Hmm - thats interesting about the wood, I was sorta thinking of taking to it with a rasp and putting it on a "diet" as even through they are "lightweight" the stock could afford to be slimmed quite a bit . . . like most factory rifles of that era
    Ryan_Songhurst likes this.

I had an M70 Featherweight as well and it was a beautiful rifle. As Ryan said, the stock was a bit average as it came from the factory but I sanded it back and oiled it up and the results were well worth the effort. Since selling it I've had three people tell me they coverted that rifle and would have bought it had they known it was for sale.

I wouldn't be concerned about the barrel being threaded. In New Zealand that often increases the saleability rather than detracting from it.

My recommendations would be - make sure you check the bore of the barrel for pitting and, if you can, remove the stock and ensure there is no corrosion in the unseen parts where the metal meets the wood.

I'm pretty sure you'll enjoy that rifle.

Sounds like my 243.
    Strangely enough I always thought the trigger was fine.
    Adjusted it to about 2lb and pretty crisp. Not target type obviously.
    Late 80s lightweight.
    Mate bought a 270 at the same time in the featherweight
    Lot nicer stock. A bit darker with better checkering.

I say buy it, they are a desirable hunting rifles, good stock design,
    Ive got 4 M70, x2 in 7x57, .264 win and .308 stainless, all shoot well, triggers are fine for hunting. the later trigger's are great. later wood work, much improved than my 80's push feed,
    featherweight in name only, steel work is solid and strong.
    Winchester has started making the .223 again, at least in the XPR

mmm 264 .
    You are right about the weight. Neither of them were light really and only maybe a little lighter than the previous model maybe?
    I do know the featherweight was exactly the same of a ounce or two heavier than the lightweight so go figure.
    I also doubt the 80's winchesters were outright collectibles so a thread shouldn't make much difference. Maybe because its a 223 and not many around?
    The mate with the 270 had to have the barrel shortened maybe an inch to get rid of a ring bulge right at the muzzle.
    Thinks it was from having it muzzle down in the car but didn't know about it the time. He hadn't had the rifle that long and was spewing about it

Banned
    I just recently got my first M70

I nearly sold it. It's a 338 Win Mag and I have no practical use for it.

Could not do it. I think they are classics and if they are not yet, they will be.

Developed a real soft spot for them alongside the Ruger 77s

Basic praxtical rifles that work like they are supposed to.

This as an ex-Savage afficianado where they shot like a benchrest rifle but you watched them deteriorate in front of your eyes.

M70 will last forever.

Well I'm afraid I've let the team down, a demon deal on a Remmy 700 SS came up on TM so I've gone with that . . . . hope ya'll all forgive me!!

223 in 308 length action.......so is it one that still has full size bolt and lugs???? I believe some of the cullers had similar and loaded them VERY hot as the larger action took it....

Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    223 in 308 length action.......so is it one that still has full size bolt and lugs???? I believe some of the cullers had similar and loaded them VERY hot as the larger action took it....
    I'd say you are right. Dont reckon they did a smaller M70 action like remington did with the model 7
    Just short action or long action

Banned
    I think you have the better rifle Tentman. The 700's are better shooters IMO