Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Ryan_Songhurst
  • 1 Post By Walker
  • 1 Post By shooternz
  • 1 Post By JWB
  • 1 Post By Tentman

Thread: older style scopes

older style scopes

I know this is probably like asking for personal hunting sweet spots but with my centerfires projects stacking up, I will need several more scopes.
    Apart from here and retardme, are there any other places I could look at older (read used) or more classic scopes for sale?
    Mind you if I save up here and there I have no problem hitting all you up for unwanted items. seems to be a few that pop up when other forum members are enquiring.
    Main reason I ask is that one or two of you all get some of the more classic glass and get them refurbed and in the case of my Model E 303 project that would suit it down to the ground without blowing the budget.
    No rush btw
    Last edited by csmiffy; 25-02-2019 at 11:15 AM.

there is a wee Burris 4x on here FS now at a good price that just SCREAMS bush scope...it would look good on a 303

Shooters supplies always seems to have a few older leupolds, pecars etc
    csmiffy likes this.
    270 is a harmonic divisor number[1]
    270 is the fourth number that is divisible by its average integer divisor[2]
    270 is a practical number, by the second definition
    The sum of the coprime counts for the first 29 integers is 270
    270 is a sparsely totient number, the largest integer with 72 as its totient
    Given 6 elements, there are 270 square permutations[3]
    10! has 270 divisors
    270 is the smallest positive integer that has divisors ending by digits 1, 2, …, 9.

The old P14 just screams out for a 4 power pecar berlina, they do turn up occationally but require referbs if you can find anyware to get it done.
    csmiffy likes this.

@Micky Duck not a silly idea. I have a 1.5x5 loopy on the 416 and I though it very good for the little I used it. If the burris is anything like that it would work well on the 303.
    alas couple of bills at the mo so just cant do it. I've got to plan this a little and see what the market is. @Walker yeah that or an old kahles etc would suit it down to the ground. Mind you some of the older stuff isn't as good as newer stuff so have to have a bit of a think about it. @Ryan_Songhurst haven't been in there for a while. I'll have to have a nosey next time I'm in there

shooter supplies definitely . would also tru small arm international in dorkland as he organises auctions of old gear. worth a phone call anyway

You can't go wrong with old German scopes just stay away from image moving models unless you have windage adjustable mounts/rings Pecar are good value
    I have a 6x48 that is excellent bought it new in 1971 never had a problem with it.
    csmiffy likes this.

Gone but not forgotten
    I have three of the older Kowa scopes - one 4X, one 6X and one 8X - which I am not currently using and am willing to part with. The objective lens of the 4X is about 32mm diameter and the 6X and 8X about 40mm. I would have to get them out of storage and measure them to be more exact. They are excellent optically, but are of the old 'reticle moving' type, so you sometimes need to do a bit of fiddling with your mounts to get the reticle (X-hairs in this case) close to the centre of the field of view.

Let me know either here or by P M if you are interested.

JWB
    Banned
    You could try this.Weaver - Riflescopes - Classic K-Series Scopes
    I bought 3 of the 4x38 and can't complain about them.
    csmiffy likes this.

Kahles 4x and 2.3-7's come up fairly frequently. The "S" ones give up very little to the most modern scopes in terms of glass. I've bought 4 over the years and the most I've paid is $300 ish. One 4x was a dud and went to parts but the other 3 are going strong on regularly used hunting rifles without so much as a clean.
    csmiffy likes this.