Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: One-off Firearm part Import question

One-off Firearm part Import question

Hi guys,

Just to double check I've interpreted the rule correctly, I want to purchase from overseas a custom A-Cat (because it's going on my A-cat AR) ejection port dust cover. As it's not an 'Action' or part of the listed 'restricted' firearms as shown below, the way I read it, I don't need an Police paperwork. How do you guys interpret this and has anyone imported an accessory like this before? I don't want to get myself in the shit.

Cheers.

The section 16 of the Arms Act 1983 requires that:

A person must not, otherwise than pursuant to a permit issued to the person by a member of the Police, bring or cause to be brought or sent into New Zealand—
    (a) a firearm, pistol, military style semi-automatic firearm, starting pistol, restricted airgun, or restricted weapon; or
    (b) any part of a firearm, pistol, military style semi-automatic firearm, starting pistol, or restricted weapon.
    In terms of ‘parts’. ‘Part’ is defined in section 2 of the Arms Act 1983 as:

part—
    (a) in relation to a pistol, restricted weapon, or military style semi-automatic firearm, includes any thing, such as a butt, stock, magazine, silencer, or sight, which, while not essential for the discharge by a pistol, restricted weapon, or military style semi-automatic firearm of any shot, bullet, missile, or other projectile, is designed or intended to be an integral part of a pistol, restricted weapon, or military style semi-automatic firearm; and
    (b) in relation to any other firearm, means the action for that firearm
    Section 18 of the Arms Act 1983 provides for the issuance of permits to import for the purposes of section 16 of the Arms Act 1983. There is no provision for Police to issue a permit to import for components of firearms, other than those that fall within the definition of ‘part’ above.

To summarise, the only component of a firearm (that is not a pistol, restricted weapon or MSSA) that requires a permit to import is the action of that firearm.

Should be fine unless NZ Customs are picky. I usually email the AO at Customs when I have stuff coming and include a photo of said A-Cat AR15. They are usually pretty good to deal with.
    Welcome to Sako club.

I got this one from GUNSNZ as it was with other parts I bought at the time, but you can get lots of custom ones from Brownells. I personally wanted 'Infidel', but was sold out most places.

Name:  IMG_3483.JPG
Views: 376
Size:  1.18 MB
    Welcome to Sako club.

I tried to bring one in and customs found it they want proof that it is going on a a cat

Thanks dogmatix, that's sweet! I'll have a chat to the AO.

Quote Originally Posted by carlhurley View Post
    I tried to bring one in and customs found it they want proof that it is going on a a cat
    I think i'll send them a pic. Obviously they think we can't be trusted to act within the constraints of our issued licences.

Quote Originally Posted by omegaspeedy View Post
    Obviously they think we can't be trusted to act within the constraints of our issued licences.
    That's because they have caught plenty of Guys breaking the rules & have successfully prosecuted a few....

Banned
    Can you name someone who has been successfully prosecuted by Customs or the Police for this, who wouldn't mind being contacted?

My last few import permits for MSSA they have wanted hand-ins or wanted proof of service rifle membership as evidence of a need.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlsen Highway View Post
    Can you name someone who has been successfully prosecuted by Customs or the Police for this, who wouldn't mind being contacted?
    I could but I don't think he would want to be contacted about it...

My understanding it was E-Cat stuff, a while ago now & he (nearly ?) took a few guys down with him.

Best to get a permit before the bits arrive in customs, (or a confirmation in writing its not required) especially if the parts can also fit MSSA's (I know I know its not required but........)
    Police are a we bit funny about issuing retrospective permits as in they wont as far as I am aware
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

I recently got an import permit for some B cat parts, extractors, it had to go to Wellington to be approved, my local couldn't do it, along with a bit of other stuff now I understand.

I know I could have easily got around it, no one would know what they were.

But risking my licences for a few hundred bucks really isn't worth it, especially when you can easily go about it the right way.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    I recently got an import permit for some B cat parts, extractors, it had to go to Wellington to be approved, my local couldn't do it, along with a bit of other stuff now I understand.

I know I could have easily got around it, no one would know what they were.

But risking my licences for a few hundred bucks really isn't worth it, especially when you can easily go about it the right way.
    I understand why you needed a permit for B-cat parts, because it clearly states it above in the rule. An A-cat rifle only requires approval if it’s the ‘receiver’ and the Police see the lower on an A-cat AR as the receiver. You could ship an upper without a police mail order form. So a dust cover doesn’t seem to fall into the category of a restricted part unless it was going on an E-cat. I’ll still get advice from the customs AO and send a pic for him.

Quote Originally Posted by omegaspeedy View Post
    I understand why you needed a permit for B-cat parts, because it clearly states it above in the rule. An A-cat rifle only requires approval if it’s the ‘receiver’ and the Police see the lower on an A-cat AR as the receiver. You could ship an upper without a police mail order form. So a dust cover doesn’t seem to fall into the category of a restricted part unless it was going on an E-cat. I’ll still get advice from the customs AO and send a pic for him.
    That maybe what the law states but those of us who have "been there, done that" know thats not the way it works in practice.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

R93
    I am trying to get a picatinny rail for my s&w 586.

None in NZ. Some in Oz but they can't ship as they are controlled.

It is a rail. An attachment. $30

Can't import without a permit because it goes on a pistol.
    Decided to fit one myself because by the time I did everything legal it was going to be too costly and time consuming.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.