Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Opinions on bedding job

Opinions on bedding job

Hi All,

I've had a bedding job done recently (picked up today) on my browning. It wasn't like it needed it, but I just wanted it done so it was something I couldn't blame latter etc and with the roar coming up I wanted everything perfect

Well after taking the stock of for a look I was shocked to say the least. A few choice words were said aloud It just looks shit and messy all round as the photos will tell/show. I haven't had it out for a shoot yet as I've just spent the last fuckin hour "trying" to clean it all up - any help as this stuff is gooeyish and spreads.

It looks like it is bedded far too much under the front lug as the rifle/barrel looks like it's on the piss and aiming up and also the gap between the barrel and stock at the end is farkin huge. I'm going to cry as I've had bad luck with gunsmiths (yeah right) and it sucks!! especially before the roar.

Anyway, the link below is too some photos. Let me know if you think i'm over reacting.

Gun Bedding Photos by Grunta | Photobucket

Cheers,
    Grant

Caretaker
    That looks terrible.

Its nearly impossible to do a bedding job that bad.

Who did it?
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

Whewwww, I'm glad I'm not imagining it, even though I wish I was I wont say who did it at the moment as I'm writting him an email about my dissatisfaction etc. I'm just sooo gutted at the moment.

Thats a total cock up and it needs fixing..

A-bolts dont go in the stock properly with the rear bolt plate thing the wrong way up, they might have done the bedding with it assembled incorrectly and now its stuck cock eyed. It is also fugly just on general principles! Looks like "the boy" did it?

What was wrong with the factory bedding?

There was nothing wrong with the factory bedding job so to speak off - not that I could tell, but as I'm reloading I just wanted that variable taken out when it came to load devolpments etc. The plan was pre roar to have a bedding job done, scope tested and fixed, new talley rings, with all these things done then I'd have no excuses. And in theory, getting a bedding job done weather it needed it or not shouldn't harm anything.

Ejected
    The best thing to do would be replace the whole stock.

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    The best thing to do would be replace the whole stock.
    So not what I want to hear If I have to go down that road then It isn't going to happen anytime soon ($$) Arrrggghhhhh. The best I can do is clean it up as best I can, spent an hour already tonight and then run some loads through that I know shoot well through her and see how it goes. I've said it once, I'll say it again.....gutted!

Banned
    Im going down the exact road your going down mate thank god the people doing my work arnt boy's.

Ejected
    The reason I say that Grunta is if your going to be so fussy that you want it bedded (not faulting you for that) then your should be going for a stiffer stock anyway.

You are not over reacting,I hope you are not paying for that mess.If that is a "gunsmith" he needs outing so other firearms are not Fxxxxd
    like that.
    sorry Grunta
    Neckshot likes this.
    Real guns start with the number 3 or bigger and make two holes, one in and one out

Quote Originally Posted by Wirehunt View Post
    The reason I say that Grunta is if your going to be so fussy that you want it bedded (not faulting you for that) then your should be going for a stiffer stock anyway.
    Never used an a-bolt? the Browning plastic stock is pretty much the best of them

poor u grunter, dont you just hate this kind of thing. i do.

Quote Originally Posted by madjon_ View Post
    You are not over reacting,I hope you are not paying for that mess.If that is a "gunsmith" he needs outing so other firearms are not Fxxxxd
    like that.
    sorry Grunta
    Cheers madjon. Yeah already payed. I've emailed him my concerns so I'll wait an see what he says first. Even if he says he'll fix it - My confidence in him is gone and if you can't do a job even half right the first time, why would a second chance change anything? I'm a tradesman by trade myself and I would never leave a job shoddy or half assed.

Soo close to the roar, got 3 definite weekends away, maybe a fourth if the wife plays nice. Got some loads to test out so I was just amping!! now my energy levels are just .....................shot!

Wirehunt - as cyclist says - the stocks are pretty good on the a-bolts. Real good feel to them. mines just looking a little uglier now..lol

sakokid - Definitely hate it!! my luck has got to change one day soon. lol

Dude it looks to me that it was a rush job and sent back to you before it was properly cured. There is no way the compound should be gooey or spread! By the look of it, the mixture was piss poor and some wanker has used too much and expected the excess to "ooze" out and be a good fit....it's a fuckup

It may still be functional, even if it doesn't look the best.

The stuff on the metal work should come off okay, the big gap around the barrel is fine...I like mine that way so the flex in the foreend from bipod use etc wont touch the barrel. But that rear action screw area raises my concerns? I've never touched an A-bolt, so I don't really know how they should look, but it just doesn't look right having epoxy stuck around that rear section?

kj