Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Opinions on a varmint optic (223)

Opinions on a varmint optic (223)

I made an irrational purchase while at gun city and picked up a stainless howa mini in 223 with a heavy barrel. Wasn't even on sale, but once I had them put it into an EXCL chassis I couldn't stop myself.

I've mostly done varminting with rimfires starting at 22, then 17hmr, and recently 17wsm (made a 340 yard shot and a 100ish two hares 1 shot), but I always wanted just that little bit more range and oomph.

I'm in the position now of trying to decide on an optic, with my rimfires sporting Vortex diamondback tactical 6-24s on them. Problem being the lack of illumination for spotlighting and being wound back to low mag for moving targets can be a pain with such a fine reticule without illumination)

Wanted features

Illumination
    Zero stop
    Locking turrets
    Elevation to get me to 600 with 223
    Prefer MRAD

Currently looking at with a budget of around 1600

Vortex strike eagle 5-25 (mrad) (ffp) $1359

Burris signature hd 5-25 (moa) (sfp) (Not a fan of the reticule) $1499

Burris xtr II 5-25 (mrad) (ffp) (trademe) $~~~~

Bushnell forge 4.5-27 (moa) (ffp) (Not illuminated) $1399

Have I missed anything currently available in the country? Anyone have hands on time with the listed optics or similar optics with the same feature set?

Athlon helos 6-24 Metric FFP is a much better scope than the vortex strike Eagle and you save a couple of hundred.

OK, I'll take the bait. Assuming you have a rangefinder, why on earth would you choose an FFP scope for small targets??

I went with the 3-9 leupold mark AR because I wanted similar to what you are after

very basic but MIL and MIL DOT recticle with exposed turrets that are calibrated to 223 55gr for out to 600m if I remember correctly

mine second hand was under 300 but they usually go 3-400

Yes I do use a range finder. I tend to be in the higher magnification range when taking shots during the day so the fine reticule works well as rimfire splash is pretty minimal (probably a non issue with 223) I also have steel set from 100 to 600 on a private range which where I enjoy using the built in hold overs.

It's just a double edged sword at night, but I assume Illumination will somewhat counter the issue.

I have just taken my trusty vx3 of my 22-250 and replaced with the nx8 4x32.
    My leupy is an 8x25x50 with the varmint hunters reticle.
    An outstanding scope for varminting.
    Would take $600 for it as I have no need for it these days.
    Pm me if keen

Sent from my SM-A025F using Tapatalk
    Tuckerbox likes this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

I'm using a Bushnell XRS2 4.5-30x50 on a 17 hornet for rabbits and Pukeko out to 300m. Slightly over your budget, not illuminated, but one hell of a scope. Having the additional magnification is a massive benefit when shooting varmint sized targets at extended ranges. @Macca - Sounds like andyanimal31 has a mean deal for you.

Yeh, that 8-25 VX3 would def fit the bill. My old VS .223 has a Mk.4 4.5-14 on it but it's not enough magnification past 300yds on bunnies. I'm too lazy to drag the spare Z5 3.5-18 out of the cupboard and swap them over as it isn't my main bunny gun.

Quote Originally Posted by andyanimal31 View Post
    I have just taken my trusty vx3 of my 22-250 and replaced with the nx8 4x32.
    My leupy is an 8x25x50 with the varmint hunters reticle.
    An outstanding scope for varminting.
    Would take $600 for it as I have no need for it these days.
    Pm me if keen

Do you have a link to the specific model?

Quote Originally Posted by quentin View Post
    I'm using a Bushnell XRS2 4.5-30x50 on a 17 hornet for rabbits and Pukeko out to 300m. Slightly over your budget, not illuminated, but one hell of a scope. Having the additional magnification is a massive benefit when shooting varmint sized targets at extended ranges. @Macca - Sounds like andyanimal31 has a mean deal for you.
    I think the forge series is supposed to be the lower cost replacement to the xrs2? May have been Mark and Sam mentioning it (youtube channel)

Quote Originally Posted by Macca View Post
    Do you have a link to the specific model?
    Photos arnt loading but it's a
    Vx3 8x25x50 lr.
    Tall covered turrets 30mm tube varmint reticle 15moa per Rev heaps of elevation like 110moa as had it on a 338 improved shooting to 1700yd.
    Eyepiece with rubber missing and dings and pre loved by me.
    The price reflects its age and use.
    A magic scope for a varmint rig.

Quote Originally Posted by andyanimal31 View Post
    Photos arnt loading but it's a
    Vx3 8x25x50 lr.
    Tall covered turrets 30mm tube varmint reticle 15moa per Rev heaps of elevation like 110moa as had it on a 338 improved shooting to 1700yd.
    Eyepiece with rubber missing and dings and pre loved by me.
    The price reflects its age and use.
    A magic scope for a varmint rig.

Serial number 415412T

Get the S&B that is for sale on the forum.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Depends if you are wanting to maximize your budget or not.
    You could probably find a Vortex PST Gen2 used for around $1600 or could get a brand new PST Gen 1 6-24 for nearer $1000.

I'm very partial to the Vortex PST Gen2 line of scope I've had very good luck from them and find them excellent value for money.
    The Strike Eagle is a good lower priced option, doesn't give up much in glass quality yet has all the same features but also includes locking turrets.
    I bought one on a bit of a whim and have been seriously impressed with it.

Both the Strike Eagle and PST Gen2 have super wide FOVs which to me is one of the biggest selling points.
    Would be useful for you if you are usually on high magnification.

I'm actually considering selling my Strike Eagle (need to fund recent projectile purchases) if you are interested let me know.

Illumination definitely helps FFP at night, I spot light with a FFP scope frequently, without illunination its near impossible but with it turned on i find it better than a normal duplex.
    For your use FFP with Illumination will be perfect.

I'm using a strike eagle 1-6 power sfp that came off my ar. Has a bdc reticle calibrated for 55 gr 223. For pest control it is pretty much ideal with that mag range. Unity for close reflex running stuff and 6x is enough for 300 yard plus in the right conditions.
    The 26 mm objective is a slight last light disadvantage but the illumInation helps here but I find it no help with a spotlight.
    The 1-10 would to my mind be slightly better mostly because they refined the reticle a bit.