Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Optics cleaning products?

Optics cleaning products?

Hey folks

Am getting a bit of an array of glass optics (scope, binos rangerfinder glasses etc) currently using the huff puff and wipe with a cloth/shirtsleeves works ok in the field. When I got my glasses they came with a squirter bottle of cleaner worked well to get of grease but have lost the bottle.

What do you folk use? Have been looking at the spray and wipe glass cleaner but don't want to damage any seals, any advice appreciated

mild dishwashing solution in a squirty bottle washed off with clean water and nothing else. Worked well in dusty North Queensland

Antz

res
    I use a Oakley branded optics cleaning pack, I'm sure it hugely over priced for whatever it is but the actual cost per use is a couple of cents. Seems to do a better job than anything else I have used-especially in damp conditions
    Using Tapatalk

A camera shop is a good place to start. Golden rule don't wipe a lens at all unless it's grit and dust free.
    gadgetman likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by res View Post
    I use a Oakley branded optics cleaning pack, I'm sure it hugely over priced for whatever it is but the actual cost per use is a couple of cents. Seems to do a better job than anything else I have used-especially in damp conditions
    Damp is the biggest problem here, dust isn't a huge issue @Antz. Occasional drop in the mud and glasses sliding off my nose are the big ones. Usually have a bit of toilet paper to wipe up any excess raindrops but the leave a bit of paper residue and grease off my fingers

Quote Originally Posted by WillB View Post
    A camera shop is a good place to start. Golden rule don't wipe a lens at all unless it's grit and dust free.
    +1

Use camera lens cleaning gear. Use a brush to dust off any grip, then dampen and clean with fog-proof lens cleaner.
    Pengy likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by WillB View Post
    Slight problem.... No camera shops anywhere on his side of the ditch! I try not to but when you can't see through something it's just s little annoying

https://touch.trademe.co.nz/listing/view/1190085095 found this on trade me and looks like it might work

Hmmm will check trade me for what they have under camera gear

res
    Quote Originally Posted by res View Post
    This is what I use

http://m.ebay.com/itm/OAKLEY-SUNGLAS...%257Ciid%253A7
    Using Tapatalk

I got some stuff from these guys a few years back and it lasted well, nice wee kits they sell and the lens paper is very good Peca Products Inc

SiB
    NZ Safety sell a product called "Titmus brand Fog Eliminator Cloths"

They are AWESOME. I wear glasses and are completely safe w all coatings and really do stop fog. There is nothing comparable.

Here's the bad news. Retail per box of 100 wipes is $195+GST. So..,, you need to have a conversation with your local friendly industrial type place who might use them and will sell some to you.

I can open a sachet, use then refold the sachet after and it'll be good a month later! I always keep a spare in my bumbag.

Si

Fulla
    Lense pen.
    Pengy and Gibo like this.

Quote Originally Posted by SiB View Post
    NZ Safety sell a product called "Titmus brand Fog Eliminator Cloths"

They are AWESOME. I wear glasses and are completely safe w all coatings and really do stop fog. There is nothing comparable.

Here's the bad news. Retail per box of 100 wipes is $195+GST. So..,, you need to have a conversation with your local friendly industrial type place who might use them and will sell some to you.

I can open a sachet, use then refold the sachet after and it'll be good a month later! I always keep a spare in my bumbag.

Si
    Hmmm shame I just lost my trades discount with nz safety! They sound like to much $ to be spending

I use single use lens cleaning tissues from the optometrist. Individually wrapped so I know it will be clean. About $10 for a box. Always have some in my pocket/bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Hutch View Post
    I use single use lens cleaning tissues from the optometrist. Individually wrapped so I know it will be clean. About $10 for a box. Always have some in my pocket/bag.
    That's more the price I'm wanting to pay!