Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By tetawa
  • 2 Post By GWH
  • 2 Post By SlimySquirrel
  • 1 Post By GWH

Thread: Optics Retailers in UK/Scotland

Optics Retailers in UK/Scotland

Hi all.
    Off to the UK/Scotland/Southern Ireland/Wales in June.
    Have enough Brownie Points from the missus to buy a scope while there.
    Thinking about the Athlon BTR or Helios series for F/TR or later for an F-Open class rig.
    They appear to be a reasonably priced unit in comparison to the US/Euro sourced high end scopes, with similar options.
    Any info/knowledge/suggestions for possible retailers I can/should visit, gratefully accepted.
    There was a post by a forum member about importing an Athlon scope some time ago, but I don't seem to be able to locate who/when it was posted.
    If the Athlon unit has finally arrived, and he sees this post, I'd be interested in his opinion re:quality/finish/optics.
    Most forums I've read have been quite positive about the scope brand.
    Cheers.

PS - will have access to WIFI overseas, so anything that pops up, I'll see.
    Plus I'll give my 2c worth for anyone else pondering the same decision.

I would be quick with what ever you choose before the "new" mob decide to add some extra charges to your purchase, enjoy your trip.
    WallyR likes this.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by WallyR View Post
    Hi all.
    Off to the UK/Scotland/Southern Ireland/Wales in June.
    Have enough Brownie Points from the missus to buy a scope while there.
    Thinking about the Athlon BTR or Helios series for F/TR or later for an F-Open class rig.
    They appear to be a reasonably priced unit in comparison to the US/Euro sourced high end scopes, with similar options.
    Any info/knowledge/suggestions for possible retailers I can/should visit, gratefully accepted.
    There was a post by a forum member about importing an Athlon scope some time ago, but I don't seem to be able to locate who/when it was posted.
    If the Athlon unit has finally arrived, and he sees this post, I'd be interested in his opinion re:quality/finish/optics.
    Most forums I've read have been quite positive about the scope brand.
    Cheers.

PS - will have access to WIFI overseas, so anything that pops up, I'll see.
    Plus I'll give my 2c worth for anyone else pondering the same decision.
    In my recent experience you will be able to get one much cheaper out of the US, than you will the UK. Ive just brought an Athlon Ares BTR 4.5-27x50. A mate is bringing back in his luggage in a weeks time.

In the US that scope has a Athlon enforced RRP of $850USD, nearly all the dealers stick to that, but i got onto one that sold me one for $650USD shipped to anywhere in the US. But the US dealers are not allowed to ship them out of the states, so you need someone there to ship it for you, or bring back.

Optics Warehouse in the UK are the main seller of Athlon and some other emerging brands. Their price for the Ares BTR 4.5-27x50 is 816 pounds.

I think the member you were refering to was @SlimySquirrel I will try to find the links to his posts. He has done a youtube vid on it too.

Edit: Links added

https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....d-value-39080/

https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....res-btr-41129/
    Last edited by GWH; 17-05-2018 at 04:45 PM.
    SlimySquirrel and WallyR like this.

Interesting, if you are heading into the UK I would look at another brand of scope like a Stryker HD. Richard Utting has several useful videos on YouTube so get some alone time and change your mind several times while watching that video!!

Reviews on the Stryker have been SUPER positive so if you can stretch to that then do it!!

Love my Athlon for the money, but if I could have found a Stryker HD in the US I would have gone that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNVlKRX0JeA

I should also add that a mate has the new Toric 30mm 4-20x50 on its way. Should be here soon so I'll review that when it arrives.

Looks a good scope for $1100usd
    Last edited by SlimySquirrel; 17-05-2018 at 05:01 PM.
    GWH and dannyb like this.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by SlimySquirrel View Post
    Interesting, if you are heading into the UK I would look at another brand of scope like a Stryker HD. Richard Utting has several useful videos on YouTube so get some alone time and change your mind several times while watching that video!!

Reviews on the Stryker have been SUPER positive so if you can stretch to that then do it!!

Love my Athlon for the money, but if I could have found a Stryker HD in the US I would have gone that way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNVlKRX0JeA

I should also add that a mate has the new Toric 30mm 4-20x50 on its way. Should be here soon so I'll review that when it arrives.

Looks a good scope for $1100usd
    The brand of that Stryker HD is Delta Optics, it does sound like a great scope, Mr Utting sure raves about it.
    SlimySquirrel likes this.

I've gotten a few orders of this guy in the past. However I've enquired from here and he won't ship outside Ireland. Considered delivering a couple of these to a mate and getting him to post them on, not what you're looking for, but handy for a .22 or something. I'll ask a mate over there (Republic) where he gets his high end scopes from.

https://www.team-alpha.ie/collections/leupold

Optics-trade.eu

Opticswarehouse.co.uk

US built scope are no cheaper than from the states, but some European makes are considerably cheaper.

HI guys
    Thanks for the input from you all.
    Certainly got me to: "Oh sh#t - what do I REALLY need for my application?".
    Anyway, will let you all know what I chose, where from and what I think of my choice (rationalizations ).
    Once again, thanks for the ideas.