Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree39Likes

Thread: Optima suppressor vs Terminator brake

Optima suppressor vs Terminator brake

Obviously we’re in different categories but the optima series rock a brake end cap.
    Does anyone have experience with both and what’s their opinion.
    Cheers

Brakes work by directing high pressure muzzel gasses away from centerline reducing the rocket effect.
    Suppressors work by expanding and cooling those high pressure gasses so they exit more slowly.

In my mind a brake on the end of a suppressor is going to do very little other than perhaps make it a bit noiser.

But I would love to see some scientific testing results.
    Mathias and 20 Bore like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

the suppressor will help your hearing last a bit longer,the brake will ensure you always go hunting alone and may or may not still be able to hear the sweet nothings your nearest n dearest whispers to you in the wee small hours...what more needs one to know???

Like stop snoring and give the bloody blankets back between you and the cat there's no room left for me, that sort of thing?
    Micky Duck and Joe_90 like this.

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by Micky Duck View Post
    the suppressor will help your hearing last a bit longer,the brake will ensure you always go hunting alone and may or may not still be able to hear the sweet nothings your nearest n dearest whispers to you in the wee small hours...what more needs one to know???
    Christ Mickey, who the hell shoots a brake with no ear protection??? A fool that who...
    veitnamcam, GWH and 20 Bore like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    Christ Mickey, who the hell shoots a brake with no ear protection??? A fool that who...
    I have seen it suggested as OK here on this forum.......agree 100% a plurry fool.... but if you have a brake,you will either have it fitted or in day bag so naked muzzle for the bumped animal.... once blasted twice shy..... you can stick your "loundeners" where the sun doesnt shine.
    andyanimal31 and Mathias like this.

GWH
    I have no experience with a suppressor with brake built-in, however, I'm thinking it may well be more of a 'marketing' thing than actually that functional (as a brake) - This is however only my opinion based on no experience on said suppressor.

However, i do run T2 brakes on several rifles, and i do also run DPT suppressors on others. Also have a common NZ made Radial brake that i have used on one rifle, and have used a similar brake on a mates light weight 7mm SAUM (a sister rifle of mine which i run with a DPT)

If you want to reduce the recoil of a heavy recoiling rifle to basically nil, and no muzzle jump at all, no matter how light the rifle, then a Terminator brake is the go, they work insanely well.

BUT you must make sure you never fire it without decent flanged ear plus fitted. If LR target shooting, this is easy obviously, however in a hunting situation when things can happen quickly and you can get caught out with plugs hanging around your neck (as you were trying to communicate with another) and the deer suddendly appears on a clearing again for a split second, and you take the shot before it disappears again with your plugs still hanging around your neck, it is not good. I highly recommend not doing that. I wasnt consciously aware i didn't have them in, I'd taken them out to talk on the UHF to my hunting mate further up the hill above me to see if he could still see the deer.

I instantly regretted it, very sore ringing ears that continued like that for the rest of the day until i woke the next morning, i instantly knew i would have damaged my hearing forever. So moral of the story is when using braked rifles while hunting you need to be EXTRA careful and mindful of this. The meat animal spiker wasnt worth it.

On the range or field target shooting i wear plugs with muffs over if i can when running a brake.

I run a suppressor with a brake on the end.
    It definitely works but not as effective as a dedicated brake. I like it and would buy another one.

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk
    Moa Hunter and Noswal like this.

Thankyou @GWH it is refreshing to hear (pun intended) some HONEST feedback on just how bad they can be if you dont fit ear protection.....
    you fellas recal episode of NZ Hunter when ??Taurarua hunter??? fired the big 7mm with brake fitted, from above Greg to collect one of group of yearlings young Willie was dealing to with .222??????? Greg was not a happy camper.....the footage that didnt make it to air could have been colourful ....

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    I have no experience with a suppressor with brake built-in, however, I'm thinking it may well be more of a 'marketing' thing than actually that functional (as a brake) - This is however only my opinion based on no experience on said suppressor.

However, i do run T2 brakes on several rifles, and i do also run DPT suppressors on others. Also have a common NZ made Radial brake that i have used on one rifle, and have used a similar brake on a mates light weight 7mm SAUM (a sister rifle of mine which i run with a DPT)

If you want to reduce the recoil of a heavy recoiling rifle to basically nil, and no muzzle jump at all, no matter how light the rifle, then a Terminator brake is the go, they work insanely well.

BUT you must make sure you never fire it without decent flanged ear plus fitted. If LR target shooting, this is easy obviously, however in a hunting situation when things can happen quickly and you can get caught out with plugs hanging around your neck (as you were trying to communicate with another) and the deer suddendly appears on a clearing again for a split second, and you take the shot before it disappears again with your plugs still hanging around your neck, it is not good. I highly recommend not doing that. I wasnt consciously aware i didn't have them in, I'd taken them out to talk on the UHF to my hunting mate further up the hill above me to see if he could still see the deer.

I instantly regretted it, very sore ringing ears that continued like that for the rest of the day until i woke the next morning, i instantly knew i would have damaged my hearing forever. So moral of the story is when using braked rifles while hunting you need to be EXTRA careful and mindful of this. The meat animal spiker wasnt worth it.

On the range or field target shooting i wear plugs with muffs over if i can when running a brake.
    Reason I wear electronic earmuffs with my braked rifle. Can talk with them on and block the bag pretty effectively when need to.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by Mathias View Post
    Reason I wear electronic earmuffs with my braked rifle. Can talk with them on and block the bag pretty effectively when need to.
    My E-Muffs are obviously not as good as yours, ive tried that once with the brake and will never do it again, it was like the muffs didnt react fast enough and it hurt my ears. Always plugs for me now when hunting with the brake.
    Micky Duck and Mathias like this.

Quote Originally Posted by GWH View Post
    My E-Muffs are obviously not as good as yours, ive tried that once with the brake and will never do it again, it was like the muffs didnt react fast enough and it hurt my ears. Always plugs for me now when hunting with the brake.
    I use a grade 5 I think? E muff when on range duty,while the muffs are good I also wear plugs and turn up the gain to hear someone talking normally at the other end of the benches and not be bothered with a big braked magnum shooting next to me while shooting myself.
    Those wee thin elec muffs most people have are fine for occasional use or used as basicly hearing aids but arnt up to snuff for constant exposure.
    GWH and Micky Duck like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

This is the Optima muzzle brake attachment mentioned by the OP for those who were wondering:
    Name:  Screenshot_20220521-173934.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  187.2 KB
    Micky Duck and Noswal like this.

They work more than a suppressor and less than a brake.

From my personal experience.
    Noswal likes this.
    Warm Barrels!

Thanks guys. The comments regarding my post are appreciated, the pointless comments regarding the dislike of brakes not so much.
    Brakes have a place just as suppressors do. I use both and like @GWH I’ve had the misfortune of the same mistake.
    Basically the gist of the post was due to recoil of a 300win mag and exploring the possibility of achieving both suppression and recoil control.
    veitnamcam, BRADS, Danny and 1 others like this.