Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By stug
  • 1 Post By nor-west
  • 5 Post By Shootm

Thread: Optimum weight for long range ??

Optimum weight for long range ??

So I'm probably going to regret asking this, and no doubt you'll all make fun of an old guy (well 55 isn't young anymore but I can still stagger up hills with a pack for a deer or tahr) anyhow . . .

I have a bunch of lightweight rifles around the 6.5 lbs scoped mark, and I have a heavy rifle (Ruger PR) that is just under 12 lbs scoped and bipod(ed), and yes I've carried it to nearly 2000 metres with only a few groans (mainly from the hung-over young fella I was dragging up the hill, name suppressed to protect the guilty).

The Ruger shoots phenomenally well as a 6.5 Creedmoor, and is a good long range rifle by any definition but sometimes I feel the need for something a little more sophisticated - yes I'm a Mauser snob!

So - I have a brand new FN action, a nice walnut Slee classic style stock (his Rigby pattern) and a calibre in mind (no I'm not saying what, but I already have the chambered barrel blank so thats that).

The big question, what is the optimum all up weight, and why for a long range rifle for the NZ high country - should I be aiming for 9 lbs, 10 or more ?? Give me a barrel profile too if you like.

OK well for a start its a fallacy that it only needs to shoot the first shot where it should. You will fire strings to sight it in and establish trajectory and they ought to be groups of 5.

Next, it doesn't sound as if this work of art is destined to have a suppressor on it. Which means you can and will have a longer barrel.

Thinking in metric 2 + 2 =

Will get the popcorn on!!

8.5 lb
    300_BLK likes this.

OK - I'll own up now, no it WILL NOT have a suppressor. Thank you Bagheera for that distraction!!

Foster, you really don't need any help or advice from any of us, I know what caliber it is and if it's under 24 inches it will be a waste, you will need a standard sporter #2 at least for 4 or 5 shots at Tahr so that's about 3 lbs plus the FN action and a walnut stock plus scopes, bases etc you wont get under 9 lb anyway.
    shooternz likes this.

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    Who cares what it weights. At the end of the day if YOU are happy thats all that matters.
    Don't worry about what others think it's custom built for You. Just make sure you post some pics when it's done.
    Last edited by Shootm; 26-05-2016 at 07:33 AM.
    rogers.270, BRADS, Nibblet and 2 others like this.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

heavy enough that you can shoot well . . no point having an easy to carry gun that you don't like shooting . .. been there.

a rifle project . .. thats what i call quality time

Canterbury, home of the big Rakaia Red Stag
    Somewhere between 9-10lb is acceptable in my books. Ive got a Sako 223 with all it's add on junk that weighs 10 Remember the bigger the hole the less the barrel weighs with standard profiles, this is often forgotten when talking a #2 or #3. I've got a 24.5" fluted #4 6.5 barrel on my T3 and it's under 9lb dressed in standard stock, DPT Suppressor & Z5 scope.

I have one of these Remington 700 Tactical XCR Rifle 338 Lapua W/Brake 26" Barrel - Impact Guns

About perfect I reckon, 26" #6 Contour Barrel, fluted, 8.5lbs bare.

If I had the money would buy one of these Xtreme Hunter which have a 24" #3 contour fluted barrel and come in at 8.5lbs.......

soooo...Pretty much what @stug said.