Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree4Likes
  • 2 Post By andyanimal31
  • 1 Post By kiwijames
  • 1 Post By The Claw

Thread: Options for 2 turn or massive single turn scope

ebf

Options for 2 turn or massive single turn scope

After having a look at some fellow competitors scope setups at the Tokoroa 22 match last weekend, I am interested to see what options there are for single turn scopes with a large dial range 10 mead or 30 Moa, or alternatively 2 turn options where it is very easy and quick to see which rotation you are on.

Mid level pricing, as opposed to S&B, Steiner etc

I'm familiar with the VX5 ZL2 dial, but that is more tactile reference, ie feel if the button is in or out. Looking for something visual and quick...
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    After having a look at some fellow competitors scope setups at the Tokoroa 22 match last weekend, I am interested to see what options there are for single turn scopes with a large dial range 10 mead or 30 Moa, or alternatively 2 turn options where it is very easy and quick to see which rotation you are on.

Mid level pricing, as opposed to S&B, Steiner etc

I'm familiar with the VX5 ZL2 dial, but that is more tactile reference, ie feel if the button is in or out. Looking for something visual and quick...
    Dig deep Eben!

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
    rossi.45 and ChrisW like this.
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

Ditto, an X5 would fit the bill well

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    You might be able to find a used Premier LT?

No, mine is not for sale
    ebf likes this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    These both have all the features that you are looking for other than being "cheap". 15 mils a turn with 2nd turn indicator. Left side wind age turret is really good as is the parallex under the elevation turret.

Kahles K624i on left and K525i on the right

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
    tikka likes this.
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

ebf
    Hmm, K318i looks just about perfect... Time to start saving.

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Hmm, K318i looks just about perfect... Time to start saving.
    Yeah, I'd love to add one to the collection... Maybe one day

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

I run a Atacr which has 30 moa or 12 mil per turn, enough to get me to 1100m on my 338 edge, there’s no getting lost on the turrets now

Yes, I agree, single turn is the way to go for hunting and field target shooting.

I sort of feel if you need to go to a second turn you're doing something a bit unnatural. Specially with a 22LR. You need the scope verticality and adjustments to be really spot on to hit a small target when you've dialled up more than 10 mils.

It will be interesting to see if people come up with a mid priced scope that can adjust that far. I've just got a new VX3i 4.5-14 like the one you showed me at Tarata (thanks) and it has 5.5 Mil on the first turn. I haven't dared wind it much further in case I get lost; it doesn't have a turn indicator or anything. However 55cm should be enough to reach 500m which is way past what the rifle is meant for.

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    I sort of feel if you need to go to a second turn you're doing something a bit unnatural. Specially with a 22LR. You need the scope verticality and adjustments to be really spot on to hit a small target when you've dialled up more than 10 mils.

It will be interesting to see if people come up with a mid priced scope that can adjust that far. I've just got a new VX3i 4.5-14 like the one you showed me at Tarata (thanks) and it has 5.5 Mil on the first turn. I haven't dared wind it much further in case I get lost; it doesn't have a turn indicator or anything. However 55cm should be enough to reach 500m which is way past what the rifle is meant for.
    RE needing 2nd turn, I guess it depends on what you are shooting. At Tokoroa, open class had targets ranging from 20m to 200m. With a 50yd zero, I was using all of 30 moa (2 x 15 moa turns) to get to the back target. Gillie created a couple of stages that involved a significant amount of dialing, and one of the competitors had a 10 mrad single turn solution, it was a lot faster than what I was doing.

For Tarata this year I am going completely the other direction, and plan to shoot the whole thing (open class) with a BDC reticle and no dialing

For a Mid level scope the Vortex Viper PST GEN II have 10Mrad or 25MOA per turn as do the Razor GEN II if you can dig that deep.
    BC doesn't matter, until you need to dial