Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 2 Post By gmm
  • 6 Post By Fssprecision
  • 2 Post By Bill999

Thread: Owl optics 410 suppressed shotgun

Owl optics 410 suppressed shotgun

Anybody had anything to do with one of these?

mate ....having used the wee .410 a heap over the years.....I could honestly say...there is bugger all point it these unless you have lifestyle block where will be shooting running rabbits at sub 25 yards and dont want to disturb neighbours...I say running as if stationary you may as well use air rifle...you cant shoot ducks legally with it.
    the specks I say for them say use the 2 1/2" shell so you down to 1/2oz of shot VS 3"=3/4oz and dont use solids was on another bit of specs.....its only a .243 at 250 yards type deal if you did use solids at pointblank anyway...87grn at 1300fps is the best solid load Ive seen.

A mate wants one for magpies roosting on his small block.
    Hes got the only tall trees in the area.

If you are interested in suppressed 410 shotguns. I would have a look at https://saddleryandgunroom.co.uk/gunroom/hushpower and there are a few articles.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian View Post
    A mate wants one for magpies roosting on his small block.
    Hes got the only tall trees in the area.
    ok now tall trees,is a bit of a myth.....they dont actually get that big...a huge lombardi poplar ,will not go more than 35yards high,,,so top is still well within range.
    having tried many times to shoot magpies with .410 as a young fella..... it can be done and knowing what I do about loads now,yip can definately be done...but there are easier ways to do it...the suppressed .12ga would give him up to twice the payload...... for same purchace price and ammunition will be cheaper. air

He's got a crook shoulder 12guage is a bit much.
    They're pines. He shoots from underneath on dark nights.

lol..thats where a .12ga and load of magnum #2s comes into its own....mum dad and eggs at same time LOL.

if choke is tight he should be fine,either go #4s and hope to punch through or #9s and hope to saturate them and get pellets into where it will do best. you can get pretty good #9 1/2oz loads by winchester..the rio stuff is hopeless in 2 1/2'' it contains LESS than half oz of shot.
    one thing is GUARANTEED ....the .410 will love some loads and absolutely HATE others...more so than any other guage you just have to pattern the wee guns to get the best out of them.

gmm
    Yep, I have one.
    Use if for getting rid of the odd possum at home and controlling pests at work.
    Very quite but you need to understand the limitations with range and the like.
    I can't use the .22 at work any more due to the place being built up a bit. No problems with the 410 as ideal for this type of pest control.
    Brian and Micky Duck like this.

I guess first I should say that I am Mr FSS, I designed and manufacture them, so to confirm a few details. There are two models, the original fully suppressed one which has to be heard to be believed, using standard factory ammo (3 or 2 1/2) it sounds like a well suppressed 22, I estimate around 70-80% suppression on an unsuppressed 410, so is ideal for very noise sensitive areas. I have sold nearly 100 of these now and had no returns and nothing but pleased customers.

The new model, the suppressed 410 is less suppressed (estimate around 40-50%) but is smaller and lighter, idea for kids and general use. For those that say it is not effective, I guess you need to discuss that with the multiple possums that we dispatched with one shot.

In all honesty they are idea for lifestyle blocks etc. where noise, distance and ricochet can be and issue.

No they do not perform like a 12G so are limited to the normal range etc. of a 410 but fit a certain criteria for which there is little else to match.

For all sales enquires best to go via Owl Optics who can offer excellent advice and give an honest INFORMED answer.

You might want to check out my recent posts in Projects, including Suppressed 22 and Suppressed 9mm to get a better understanding of what we do and the quality of what we make. Quite simply we don't make and market something that does not work, though some items like these suppressed 410s are for a specific purpose and as such perform accordingly.

Cheers

Iv seen the FFS one in action and it must have been the early one as it was off the chart quiet

quieter than my 300blk with a big suppressor on it

far quieter than I thought possible with a scatter gun especially after playing with 44s and 45s which are similar diameter hole

kind of sounded like a fisssssssssssss and that was it
    Brian and Micky Duck like this.

They look super fun! My only comment based on very limited experience would be the Eternal shotgun - a mate bought one for his son, and while it is bloody good on possums at shortish range, it wouldn't eject the spent cart easily. We had to hold the base of the cartridge hard down against the ejector and open slowly to extract it. Might just have been a faulty gun - he was going to take it back to get it looked at, but could be worth watching out for, given the expensive part is the awesome suppressor. May have been the ammo, and I don't recall which brand, but he's not one to buy el cheapo stuff. Others may have more experience with the guns...

Mr. FSS will no doubt have a much better knowledge of them than me!!
    Last edited by yeah_na_missed; 19-04-2022 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Noting my limited knowledge, and deferring to greater wisdom...
    bunji likes this.

I have used the wee .410 for 40 years.....and have shot a hell of a lot of animals with them..... as said earlier the type of load used is criticle with the wee .410.... they will love one particular type of shell in a certain #shot size and absolutely hate others,blown patchy patterns....eg a 1/2oz of #4s putting more pellets into a 12" centre at 25 yards than a fiocchi #6 with 3/4 oz of pellets....so not only 50% more payload but smaller shot size means more pellet count as well..... same shotgun was hopeless with and #6 loading....
    rio put out a 2 1/2" shell which has payload BELOW half oz...... absolutely hopeless,couldnt even finish off ducks at 15 yards on water which is what the wee shells were bought for in size #8 hopeless
    now a decent load will out preform steel in .12ga for the task given a full choke to work with.

11/16th or 3/4oz of size #4 has always been a great load for me in every .410 Ive used..... and they snot possums with authority....in saying that a good mate had the same shotgun as I do but his was half choke not full....and he had much less sucess than we did..... putting those few pellets where needed is criticle.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    Nothing wrong with a 410, just have a narrow pattern compared to a 12 so need to be a better shot.
    close but not quite true.....pattern is less dense but can be just the same spread..WHY the 410 is patterned at 25 yards and not at 40 yards

for last few years Ive used a 12" long insert inside a 3/4choked 12ga and poor mr possum up trees doesnt stand a chance.