Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 6 Post By zeropak

Thread: Pard NV 007s review

Pard NV 007s review

So I recently purchased on of the new model Pard 007s clip ons. I have owned one of the earlier model 007v Pards and my experience with that was not as good as expected, The extra length it added to the rear of the scope meant I had to add a slip on recoil pad every time I wanted the use the NV otherwise it put the head in an very unnatural position in order to get a sight picture. I also had issues getting a decent sight picture especially as the ranges got a little Longer, I went down the extra IR torch route by adding the IR torch to the underside of the rifle. So then the rifle started to weigh way more that I wanted it to and it got very complicated at night working out what was switched on what was was off and managing to get all this coordinated in order to take the shot. Remember that IR torches show no visible beam so it is very easy to accidentally leave it turned on and then have flat battery when it is needed. In my experience the simpler you can make things at night, the better it is. So I went back to using a red torch with some success (I still think the red torch is a great option in some situations). However the issue with the torch is that eventually the deer start to get wise to whats going on. When that happens the only solution is to light them up and be ready for a quick shoot before they all scarper. That's all well and good but the times when you light them up only to find they have turned face or arse on are quite frustrating, as they exit stage left.
    So along came the Pard 007s with its much shorter overall length, more user friendly focus adjustment, fully water proof (which the earlier model was not) and improved IR light performance. I decided to give one a go, I have been on one trip with it so far hunting fallow and I am impressed. All the issues of the previous model seem to be solved, I manged to get a shootable resolution on targets out to 360m. The eye relief was workable without adding an extra butt pad and the adjustments are more user friendly. It was nice to be able to sit there ad watch deer with time to choose my target. I think that even after firing a shot the remaining deer seemed less spooked than when light up with a torch. Also I forgot to mention the fitting of the 007 to the scope, on the earlier model you needed to add electrical tape to the ocular lens of the scope to get the right fit. this was pretty dodgy and did not sit well with me. Now Pard include a set of bushes of varying thicknesses, you just choose one which fits the best. this is a way better system. So anyway the new model Pard 007s get a big tick tick from me.
    Savage1, tetawa, Bill999 and 3 others like this.
    ZeroPak Vacuum Sealers, Zero air Zero waste

Quote Originally Posted by zeropak View Post
    So I recently purchased on of the new model Pard 007s clip ons. I have owned one of the earlier model 007v Pards and my experience with that was not as good as expected, The extra length it added to the rear of the scope meant I had to add a slip on recoil pad every time I wanted the use the NV otherwise it put the head in an very unnatural position in order to get a sight picture. I also had issues getting a decent sight picture especially as the ranges got a little Longer, I went down the extra IR torch route by adding the IR torch to the underside of the rifle. So then the rifle started to weigh way more that I wanted it to and it got very complicated at night working out what was switched on what was was off and managing to get all this coordinated in order to take the shot. Remember that IR torches show no visible beam so it is very easy to accidentally leave it turned on and then have flat battery when it is needed. In my experience the simpler you can make things at night, the better it is. So I went back to using a red torch with some success (I still think the red torch is a great option in some situations). However the issue with the torch is that eventually the deer start to get wise to whats going on. When that happens the only solution is to light them up and be ready for a quick shoot before they all scarper. That's all well and good but the times when you light them up only to find they have turned face or arse on are quite frustrating, as they exit stage left.
    So along came the Pard 007s with its much shorter overall length, more user friendly focus adjustment, fully water proof (which the earlier model was not) and improved IR light performance. I decided to give one a go, I have been on one trip with it so far hunting fallow and I am impressed. All the issues of the previous model seem to be solved, I manged to get a shootable resolution on targets out to 360m. The eye relief was workable without adding an extra butt pad and the adjustments are more user friendly. It was nice to be able to sit there ad watch deer with time to choose my target. I think that even after firing a shot the remaining deer seemed less spooked than when light up with a torch. Also I forgot to mention the fitting of the 007 to the scope, on the earlier model you needed to add electrical tape to the ocular lens of the scope to get the right fit. this was pretty dodgy and did not sit well with me. Now Pard include a set of bushes of varying thicknesses, you just choose one which fits the best. this is a way better system. So anyway the new model Pard 007s get a big tick tick from me.
    Great write up just wondering if you have any thoughts on 850nm or 950nm wave length, cheers

Naracoorte South Australia/From South Canterbury
    Good stuff. And the in built IR is the goods? I'll consider one of the lrf ones.
    I have an ATN xsight 4K turning up soon, it was cheap enough to try as a new unit for $650

850nm vs 940 nm. I went for the 850 because I tend to shoot longer ranges, out to around 400m, The deer (we are talking fallow deer) will quite often look towards me after the Ir is turned on and aimed at them, I have only ever had a couple of animals walk off at that point, they don't seem overly alarmed but they definitely know something is up. If I was shooting shorted ranges, under say 200m and/or using the unit on a rimfire for rabbits I would probably go for the 940nm version.
    Since I wrote that review I imported and experimented with an additional IR laser mounted on the rifle, this is a laser and not an LED IR. It is a Black Sun EC20 which are very high quality IR lasers. I found that there was no meaningful improvement over the Pard IR even with both units running at the same time. This speaks volumes for the quality of the Pard built in IR, which is also a laser unit.
    with the new unit which has the range finder I am able to better assess effective viewing range. Just the other night looking down into a gully I was able to easily get a positive ID in 2 Fallow deer at 465m.
    Hope this helps.
    ZeroPak Vacuum Sealers, Zero air Zero waste

Naracoorte South Australia/From South Canterbury
    Quote Originally Posted by zeropak View Post
    850nm vs 940 nm. I went for the 850 because I tend to shoot longer ranges, out to around 400m, The deer (we are talking fallow deer) will quite often look towards me after the Ir is turned on and aimed at them, I have only ever had a couple of animals walk off at that point, they don't seem overly alarmed but they definitely know something is up. If I was shooting shorted ranges, under say 200m and/or using the unit on a rimfire for rabbits I would probably go for the 940nm version.
    Since I wrote that review I imported and experimented with an additional IR laser mounted on the rifle, this is a laser and not an LED IR. It is a Black Sun EC20 which are very high quality IR lasers. I found that there was no meaningful improvement over the Pard IR even with both units running at the same time. This speaks volumes for the quality of the Pard built in IR, which is also a laser unit.
    with the new unit which has the range finder I am able to better assess effective viewing range. Just the other night looking down into a gully I was able to easily get a positive ID in 2 Fallow deer at 465m.
    Hope this helps.
    Yes very helpful Thankyou.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk