Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree12Likes
  • 1 Post By zimmer
  • 3 Post By Rusky
  • 2 Post By kotuku
  • 1 Post By Proudkiwi
  • 2 Post By kotuku
  • 2 Post By hunter308
  • 1 Post By kotuku

Thread: Parker Hale-Long Branch 303

Parker Hale-Long Branch 303

Hey guys. Keen to know your thoughts on these rifles? What's the history behind them and has anyone used one? I've got another hand me down, it's made in 1944. Bore sighted and ready for the range. Stoked.

pics? Lots of them....pls
    Last edited by steven; 09-05-2015 at 06:40 PM.
    "I do not wish to be a pawn or canon fodder on the whims of MY Government"

If possible pull the top wood off and take pics of the bedding around the barrel. As a rule Im finding there is an art to making them shoot well few know. I am certainly struggling to get under 2MOA and stay there.

Trying to load up a pic on phone but no joy. What distances are you shooting Steven? I can make out its a No4 MKI*
    Last edited by Rusky; 09-05-2015 at 07:00 PM.

My first CF was a "brand new" Parker Hale 303. Parker Hale sporterised ex military Smellies and No 4's. Mine was a SMLE and had a sporting fore end and monte carlo butt fitted - no top wood/no military wood. The mag was a cut down 10 shot mag to 5 shot. The barrel was shortened and had a ramp fore sight sweated to the barrel. The military rear sight remained. Unfortunately when PH had fitted the new fore sight they had heat blistered the inside of the barrel slightly. It shot OK but was hard to clean around the area where the blisters were. Traded it in on a SAKO Forester which was a rarity back then.
    Rusky likes this.

Name:  Parker.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  12.3 KB
    Toby, zimmer and BushHunter like this.

Lost For Time
    Choice man, Be a bit more Boom than the 223 What scope you using ?
    Identify your target beyond all doubt !

I built mine from an x No4mk1canadian target actionand barrel mated to a stock i already had.Rod woods did some work on it when he was gunsmithing in CHCH(eternally thankful to himI am)and i've had over 30yrs enjoyment out of it.I rerfer to it as the household artillery as it only likes180 gnloads(2land/groovebarrel) but hells bells anything hit is destined to stay hit ad finitum. once smakced a hare -fertiliser,took a possum out of a tree(I politely shot him through the swede first before asking him to get down)and have shown that steel plate aint always a good wicketkeeper lets shots right through!!
    Scouser and Tommy like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kotuku View Post
    I built mine from an x No4mk1canadian target actionand barrel mated to a stock i already had.Rod woods did some work on it when he was gunsmithing in CHCH(eternally thankful to himI am)and i've had over 30yrs enjoyment out of it.I rerfer to it as the household artillery as it only likes180 gnloads(2land/groovebarrel) but hells bells anything hit is destined to stay hit ad finitum. once smakced a hare -fertiliser,took a possum out of a tree(I politely shot him through the swede first before asking him to get down)and have shown that steel plate aint always a good wicketkeeper lets shots right through!!
    Werent you giving some other member grief in another thread about shooting possum's out of a tree with a centre fire recently? Genuine question cos generally no one understands what the fuck you are talking about with your nonsensical posts.

So, if you were, hypocrite much! And if not.......well......carry on.
    Rusky likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusky View Post
    Trying to load up a pic on phone but no joy. What distances are you shooting Steven? I can make out its a No4 MKI*
    limited to 600yds at Trentham. What I am finding is for my AJP (Parker Hale's son) I get 1MOA (ish) for the first 4 or 5 or so shots, it then jumps about 2MOA high shoots 4 or 5 about 1moa, then just starts to shoot all over the place. Leaving it cool overnight does not restore accuracy. Taking the forewood off and re-installing it, does. I am going to try some graphite flakes/lube on the centre and re-inforce bedding to see if that helps. I also have a ParkerHale no4 mk2 that I need to test on as the AJP gun simply has not responded to the classic/recommended tuning setup. I did shoot at the Disk Travis this year with it and watched many no4s also shoot poorly except for Nicole's gun which was a tack driver, so they can be made to work well if you know how.

Just as a reference a good no4 mk2 should do 1 3/4inch MOA and a mk1* about 2MOA. However I have not seen the result of fitting a mk2 era barrel to a mk1* ie that 1/4moa might be purely down to better barrel manufacture. A first rate no4 mk2 target modified should do 1MOA. Criterion is about to do new barrels at match grade, cant wait, the PH will get an upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by Rusky View Post
    Ah Ok this is a hunting Parker Hale, not a target gun. This is I think their own heavy barrel, is it free floating?

Quote Originally Posted by Proudkiwi View Post
    Werent you giving some other member grief in another thread about shooting possum's out of a tree with a centre fire recently? Genuine question cos generally no one understands what the fuck you are talking about with your nonsensical posts.

So, if you were, hypocrite much! And if not.......well......carry on.
    up yours and your attitude.if you cant read how come you graduated or did the bloody school get closed down!the incident Imentioned was in fact a oncer many many years ago and a lot of water under the fucking bridge.My attitude has changed a lot since then but obviously you seem to find change a bit of a burden.i sincerely hope you dont struggle reading this ok!
    you in fact remind me of another ringpiece that used to snipe at me on the other forum -not related by any chance?
    Scouser and Rusky like this.

Quote Originally Posted by kotuku View Post
    up yours and your attitude.if you cant read how come you graduated or did the bloody school get closed down!the incident Imentioned was in fact a oncer many many years ago and a lot of water under the fucking bridge.My attitude has changed a lot since then but obviously you seem to find change a bit of a burden.i sincerely hope you dont struggle reading this ok!
    you in fact remind me of another ringpiece that used to snipe at me on the other forum -not related by any chance?
    Don't worry about him @kotuku the guy has his head stuck up his arse and can not leave the past alone, it is a wonder he just does not fuck off back to the forum he came from and stay there he only seems to comment when he has some shit stirring to do.
    Scouser and kotuku like this.
    RULE 4: IDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEYOND ALL DOUBT

To be a Human is to be an Alien, ask the animals, We invade this world and we are killing it, we are destroying the earth and nobody gives a fuck except for the animals

@hunter308-thanks for the support ,much appreciated.your sentiments merely confirm what i thought .
    Scouser likes this.