Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: PCP Air Rifles

PCP Air Rifles

Pretty hard to find specific info on these since they were moved to A-Cat.

Not many places in NZ selling them anymore and those that are available are only available in .177 or .22.

Question: Is there any existing law that would prevent me from importing a .50 caliber air rifle from the US? For example these:

https://www.airgundepot.com/seneca-d...air-rifle.html

https://www.airgundepot.com/sam-yang...air-rifle.html

think u would have to get a police permit to import still as they do come under your A cat license.
    Z

don't young air guns have some. there was a guy in Whangarei that was importing some.

Messed around with a few pcp rifles .Bsa r10 and a fx .

Quiet smooth and accurate however the faffing around with dive tanks negated the fun.
    I see that you can get small home compressors now but still to much effort required over gunpowder

Quote Originally Posted by TheWuce View Post

Not many places in NZ selling them anymore and those that are available are only available in .177 or .22.

Question: Is there any existing law that would prevent me from importing a .50 caliber air rifle from the US? For example these:

I recently bought an FX Gladiator from Young's Airgun Centre. Ron had a few PCP's to choose from .177 - .25. I'm pretty sure he could order other calibres. I also bought a cheapo PCP handpump from Aliexpress, which works pretty well. A lot of pumping, but great excersize.
    berg243 likes this.

northdude
    ive got an airfoce talon in 22 pretty good rifle

Quote Originally Posted by berg243 View Post
    @Yukon how many shots per fill and what cal . keen on the fx impact after watching the saffa fella shooting beaver in Argentina ,looking at 22 or 25 cal not the 38. reckon would be ideal for spotlighting possies for plucking to make some cash for more legal toys now that I wont be getting an ar thanks to the horses ass.
    I'm not sure yet. I only bought this in January, but have been busy in the run-in to our madness season, aka the roar.

However. I have put a few rounds through it, and it's pretty good. It has dual air cylinders, which take quite a few pumps to bring up to pressure.

It is .22 calibre, has three power settings. I did chrony these but can't remember velocity or pellet weight. It was more accurate with the medium setting with the pellet I was using. I think the medium setting was around 22ft/lb or thereabouts.

The trigger wasn't as good as I thought it could be, but this is possibly only an adjustment.

I also recently bought a Weirauch HW100 which I haven't even taken to the range yet. This has the sweetest trigger imaginable!

I wasn't overly impressed with the magazine release on the FX. Firstly, it has an 8 round mag (compared to the 14 round mag on my HW100), but it is fiddly, and easy to dropped when removing. I'm planning to use the FX at night with our night vision and thermal scopes, so I am fully preparing to have to piss around on my knees looking for it. Also, spare mags are really expensive. The HW100 on the other hand, has a range of 3rd party mags at really good prices.

What I do like about the FX is its handling. It's short and much much lighter than my HW100.

I've been shooting a lot of rats in bushes with my .22LR, I'm looking forward to giving the FX a go soon(ish).
    berg243 likes this.

Yeah check out AirArmsHuntingSA on youtube. Excellent page with plenty of PCP hunting content

Quote Originally Posted by Clint Ruin View Post
    Messed around with a few pcp rifles .Bsa r10 and a fx .

Quiet smooth and accurate however the faffing around with dive tanks negated the fun.
    I see that you can get small home compressors now but still to much effort required over gunpowder
    It's a real pity that .22LR isn't available with a 20grn bullet at 1000fps and at a reasonable price. PCPs are good for 50 shots or so, then it's back to fill.

Why bother if you can still use a .22LR
    An itch ... is ... a desire to scratch

MB
    I would have thought something like CCI Quiet would be a substitute for an air rifle.

northdude
    Name:  gun.jpg
Views: 1560
Size:  79.3 KB a couple I use to own some people believe it or not actually like air rifles same as golf fishing bowls darts just off the top of my head

Quote Originally Posted by Cordite View Post
    Why bother if you can still use a .22LR
    You should check out some youtube videos and see just what a .50 caliber PCP rifle can do. Think of it as a shotgun slug with 100-200 meters range at 20 cents per shot.

MSL
    You should check out some youtube videos and see just what a .50 caliber PCP rifle can do. Think of it as a shotgun slug with 100-200 meters range at 20 cents per shot.
    Where would you be using it?

northdude
    there use to be a guy on nz airgunners forum from hawahi however you spell it that use to hunt pigs with a 50 cal air rifle

MB
    Just to add to the discussion - I see air rifles as being useful on small lifestyle blocks where 22LR could be too risky in terms of ricochet. As for large calibre/powerful air rifles, why? If you want a quiet gun, there are subsonic centrefire options. If you just like air rifles, then fine!

The way things are going, give it a few years, and we might all be using air rifles for everything