Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: Perfect Scopes and Reticles

Perfect Scopes and Reticles

Theres no such thing as the perfect scope.

I've been using a First Focal Plane Vortex on the 300winmag and found the EBR-1 MOA reticle bloody handy and the shim based zero stop system. Zeroed at 200 I can hold under using the hashmarks for 100 and be dead on for headshooting deer or blasting pests, or by using one less shim in the zero stop i can have it set up so it goes back 2moa past the 200meter zero and be dialled dead on at 100.

The Zeiss hd5 doesn't really give you either of these options. If you want a zero stop then you are limited to 16.5 MOA of dialability and with the plex reticle you don't have the handy hold under option so if you want to shoot stuff close you have to guess your hold under or zero for 100 which limits how far you can dial.

Neither of these are really that huge a problem and i realise not everyone takes their win mag rabbit/magpie/peacock shooting but my question is, is there a scope with Euro quality glass that does all of the above? Useful reticle, awesome glass, good dials and useable zero stop?

Also welcome is general ultimate scope yarnage

Cheers

Mike

Ess und Bee
    Bagheera, Rwt, ZG47 and 1 others like this.

MSL
    Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Ess und Bee
    +1

I really like simple cause I am. I am really liking the 2-8 with "Boon and Crocket" reticule just got on a hell deal. Simple to use, no knobs or shit to twiddle. For 0-300 should be real fast with a bit of practice and 8x is plenty of magnification.
    I think I like it better than my 4-14 or 5-22 scopes so far as a pure hunting scope although for range shooting the others work better.
    I like Leupold glass for the "we cover it not matter what" no bullshit warranty.
    But then mine don't get much use lately

Nightforce would do all you want but its not euro but is bulletproof
    Beaker, Friwi, 10-Ring and 2 others like this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

I'm interested to hear about the Sig Sauer scopes that have started popping up.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeB View Post
    Theres no such thing as the perfect scope.

I've been using a First Focal Plane Vortex on the 300winmag and found the EBR-1 MOA reticle bloody handy and the shim based zero stop system. Zeroed at 200 I can hold under using the hashmarks for 100 and be dead on for headshooting deer or blasting pests, or by using one less shim in the zero stop i can have it set up so it goes back 2moa past the 200meter zero and be dialled dead on at 100.

The Zeiss hd5 doesn't really give you either of these options. If you want a zero stop then you are limited to 16.5 MOA of dialability and with the plex reticle you don't have the handy hold under option so if you want to shoot stuff close you have to guess your hold under or zero for 100 which limits how far you can dial.

Neither of these are really that huge a problem and i realise not everyone takes their win mag rabbit/magpie/peacock shooting but my question is, is there a scope with Euro quality glass that does all of the above? Useful reticle, awesome glass, good dials and useable zero stop?

Also welcome is general ultimate scope yarnage

Cheers

Mike
    You do realise if you zero at 100 or 200 without changing the mounting platform you have the same dialling range aye
    199p, BRADS and Ryan_Songhurst like this.

Im a hunter, first and foremost, not a sniper (or tacticool wannabe) or a target shooter, so im with Mikee on this one, I like simple, the twisty bits can do all the fancy work

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    You do realise if you zero at 100 or 200 without changing the mounting platform you have the same dialling range aye
    Depends if you're limited to a single turn in your turret. Might have adjustment "above" it which you can't use, a 200m zero gets you a little further out in that case.

Depends if you're limited to a single turn in your turret. Might have adjustment "above" it which you can't use, a 200m zero gets you a little further out in that case.
    Ok didnt know that. How does that work?

Theres a few scopes out there, swaros, zeiss come to mind that have a turret that only turns once above zero

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Theres a few scopes out there, swaros, zeiss come to mind that have a turret that only turns once above zero
    What if zeros near the limit of that turn? Sorry im not being a cock i just dont get the mechanics

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    What if zeros near the limit of that turn? Sorry im not being a cock i just dont get the mechanics
    Nah when u zero u set the zeros top so the 1 turn starts from there

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
    Gibo and Ryan_Songhurst like this.
    Konus binoculars " The power to imagine"

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan_Songhurst View Post
    Im a hunter, first and foremost, not a sniper (or tacticool wannabe) or a target shooter, so im with Mikee on this one, I like simple, the twisty bits can do all the fancy work
    I find even the side focus on my 4.5-14x40LR too complicated to remember, then there the dial cds thingy to mess with too.

All OK if you have time to Range things, Calculate other things and then twiddle things to match, then shoot
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Think ive got it cheers my zeiss does it with the zero stop. Thats why i take it out. Its over rated anyway
    7mmsaum likes this.

Ess und Bee
    Pretty much perfect in my opinion.

The Vortex Razor Gen II I have played with look amazeballs also