Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Tikka7mm08
  • 1 Post By P38

Thread: Permit to Procure Changes?

Permit to Procure Changes?

Hi - exchanging E-Cats with a friend, he went straight to receiving a P2P from Akld Police.

In CHCH (and Hamilton) I have been told I need to complete an application to obtain a P2P. Has anyone else struck this 2-stage process before?

It may not seem much but it makes for me a 180km exercise a 270km one if 3 trips are required (1 to complete application, 2 to collect P2P if not posted, 3 to return P2P and show firearm matches permit). Hoping there is some pragmatism in this process....

Quote Originally Posted by Tikka7mm08 View Post
    Hi - exchanging E-Cats with a friend, he went straight to receiving a P2P from Akld Police.

In CHCH (and Hamilton) I have been told I need to complete an application to obtain a P2P. Has anyone else struck this 2-stage process before?

It may not seem much but it makes for me a 180km exercise a 270km one if 3 trips are required (1 to complete application, 2 to collect P2P if not posted, 3 to return P2P and show firearm matches permit). Hoping there is some pragmatism in this process....
    The process is to complete a POL67A (Application for Permit to procure a pistol, restricted weapon or military style semi-automatic firearm). The buyer takes this form to their AO who will witness the signature and issue a Permit to Procure (pink form IIRC).

The buyer then takes the P2P to be signed by the seller confirming that he's selling the firearm. The buyer then takes the firearm and completed P2P back to the AO who then records the details in the system against the buyer's name. I'm going to be doing this in about an hour lol.

Yep got that, was just thinking in Hamilton they said they only issue P2Ps on Mondays after receiving an application,...so obviously CHCH isn't doing it same day (hence why you have to first apply). Previously I have gone straight to the P2P without a need to apply for one. Struck me as double handling and stuffing around.
    nor-west likes this.

Sorry, wasn't trying to teach you how to suck eggs but it's been a couple years since I last did this. Can't remember if I had to complete the POL67A or not.

No worries, just trying to understand why this approach isn't applied nationally and why is it applied at all. I wonder if it is because of an increase in P2Ps being processed.

All sorted - AO rang me which I thought was really good of him to clear it up. CHCH need the application but then issue P2P on the spot.

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by Tikka7mm08 View Post
    All sorted - AO rang me which I thought was really good of him to clear it up. CHCH need the application but then issue P2P on the spot.
    Same in Hastings.

Essentially a three stage process

Application for P2P
    Issue of P2P
    Signoff of P2P and inspection/recording of serial number by AO.

Cheers
    Pete
    stumpy likes this.

R93
    I recently bought a gun privately and filled out my bit of the POL67X I got of my pistol club and sent it off to my AO with the request to send straight to the seller to save time.
    Had permit and gun within the week.
    Has this system changed all of a sudden?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by R93; 11-03-2016 at 12:48 AM.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

I just bought a cz czechmate and emailed the pink form from club armorer to local AO, he posted it to me that afternoon, then NZ post took it from nelson, via Antarctica, then Christchurch to get it to me in motueka 5 days later. I took it straight to P.O and fastposted it to Auckland, 2 weeks later it still hadn't arrived. Emailed AO and he redid a new permit and sent it direct to Auckland, 5 days later and the first permit has just arrived, but I already have the pistol. Nelson AO was awesome, Nzpost suck.

I'm not surprised you need to apply for the permit, they need to get your details from somewhere..

Years ago i had to fill in a form to get the p2p form for an ecat

...they used to get the details when you stood in front of them at the counter and gave them

NZPost do suck.