Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By mikee
  • 2 Post By Neckshot
  • 2 Post By Shearer
  • 1 Post By 260rem

Thread: Personal Locator Beacon

Personal Locator Beacon

Well, I've just returned home with a new product for me. A PLB.
    Now I've been thinking about this for a long time and after they changed the systems to align themselves with most of the world, plus the fact I'm closer to 60 than 50, I thought it was time.
    The unit I bought after visiting many shops and talking to the salesmen, was the rescueME PLB made by Ocean signal. It was around the same cost as others. It is very small, and it seems to have a good battery life. Plus the 7yr guarantee helped.
    I hope never to use this unit but will gain some peace of mind from being able to gain emergency aid should anybody in our party be in a life threatening position.

What say you? Any good stories, or otherwise to do with PLB's
    Thanks
    1000PA

Always have it on your physical person. Then you cant put it down somewhere. If bad things happen its no good in you pack which you put down while you just had a wee looksie down the bluffs (or similar) Sounds stupid but just saying............................
    Feral likes this.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Not stupid at all. There have been a few that have done just that and paid the ultimate price
    Forgotmaboltagain+1

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by mikee View Post
    Always have it on your physical person. Then you cant put it down somewhere. If bad things happen its no good in you pack which you put down while you just had a wee looksie down the bluffs (or similar) Sounds stupid but just saying............................
    Yep your onto it. In Ya bumbag or I know and old mate who has the same plb as stated hanging around his neck

Sent from my HUAWEI Y210-0100 using Tapatalk 2
    Philipo and P38 like this.

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckshot View Post
    Yep your onto it. In Ya bumbag or I know and old mate who has the same plb as stated hanging around his neck

Sent from my HUAWEI Y210-0100 using Tapatalk 2
    +1

Yep hang it round your neck..... that way it's always right there to help save your arse.

The Ocean Signal unit is my choice too.

Cheers
    Pete

Ejected
    It has a belt loop, where did you get it? I got mine from pbtech.co.nz was cheapest by a bit. $529 from memory

Hunting and fishing Westgate, paid $600. Very kind salesman, took pity on a technophobe..........

Got mine from tasmania for $400NZD delivered.
    deepsouthaussie and CooeeBay like this.

Where ever you decide to carry it on your person just be sure you could reach it with mangled arms / back etc after a fall, so preferably both hands could access it. I ride my motorbike with it around by neck under my jacket. Hunting it's on my belt. top tip is wrap it in a bit of cloth or something just to stop it getting chafed up by rubbing on other things. Keeps it looking new. I never regretted buying mine.

As soon as I got mine home I hung it around my neck with some paracord as soon as I get out of truck it goes around my neck
    They are also good if traveling in you vehicle there is still a lot of areas with no cell coverage if you come to a crash sight pop the aerial activate and put on the roof of your car
    mikee likes this.

Great advise guys, thank you very much. I've heard a story of a bloke who used his at an accident scene. The Police were very happy he set it off when there was no phone coverage.