Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Pinned Mag confusion

Pinned Mag confusion

I was doing a little shopping yesterday and was in Serious Shooters and noticed that the HK MP5 lookalike 22lr Magazines were 22 round capacity pinned down to 5, 10, 15. they have heaps of them, not much 10/22 mags left as these new Mag's take up a heap of space with all the different capacity's

I thought that because it still looks high capacity it's classed as E cat, I did ask how can that be, but told it was legal and thats good enough for me.

But i'm pretty sure i can't go and pin a 30 round mag to 5 rounds and still class my MR1 as a A cat.

Or are there different rules on pinning 22lr vs Centrefire Magazines

Confused????

Technically it is illegal. Whether the police care is another matter.

Print "HOLDS SEVEN ROUNDS ONLY" on the side. Then it clearly and explicitly doesn't have the appearance of holding more than 7 rounds, unless you encounter an illiterate policeman.

Why you'd want a 30rd pinned to 7 is beyond me, a 15-20rd sized mag makes sense though as it gives you something to grab to pull it out of pouches, the magwell when you have a stoppage, etc - the 5rd mags are irritatingly small.

You can use Canadian prone with 30 rounders, if the COF allows.

I'm not familiar with the term but I assume it refers to using the mag as a monopod? Not great for reliability in some gats

The whole "has the appearance" thing is entirely subjective and reliant on having a sound knowledge of firearms. For example a cop could freak out over a 30 round looking mag in an A cat .50 Beowolf. Interestingly pretty much all A cat mags can hold more than 7 rounds with a bit of dremel work, technically I guess that makes them all E cat parts. The system is fucked.

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    I'm not familiar with the term but I assume it refers to using the mag as a monopod? Not great for reliability in some gats
    Yea it works fine with AR's which is basically what 90% of SR shooters use.

Quote Originally Posted by Beavis View Post
    The whole "has the appearance" thing is entirely subjective and reliant on having a sound knowledge of firearms. For example a cop could freak out over a 30 round looking mag in an A cat .50 Beowolf. Interestingly pretty much all A cat mags can hold more than 7 rounds with a bit of dremel work, technically I guess that makes them all E cat parts. The system is fucked.
    Yeah I'm pretty sure a lot of our 5 rd mags are just 10s that are blocked to 5, I cut too much off the follower of one of my shitty 5s and made it an 8rd mag so I had to replace the follower. It's annoying since we can't even get decent 7rd factory mags

Thats a good idea regarding the labelling of the mag, along with the 15-20 rd mag, i was just using the 30rd as an over the top example

Quote Originally Posted by gimp View Post
    Print "HOLDS SEVEN ROUNDS ONLY" on the side. Then it clearly and explicitly doesn't have the appearance of holding more than 7 rounds, unless you encounter an illiterate policeman.

Another thing is, then if say i got a 20 Rd Magpul Emag pinned in the states to 7 rd, then are we allowed to import them for $20USD as Cat A?? instead of paying around the $150-250 mark here.

mmmm i wish the rules were a little clearer.

Customs would throw a tanty and you would have a prick of a time getting it released.

The prices are stupid here even for 5 round mags. $60-100 for a piece of shit 5rd mag that costs $15NZ in the US retail? Nooooooooope

I thought the rules are pretty clear, people just keep pushing the boundaries.

One thing that stuffs it up is that each AO has a different view on it.

From what I understand, the mags are only illegal when accompanied by a rifle, anyone can buy any mag u like and is fine. It is how u use it you run into issues.

So 30rnd mags pinned to whatever falls into this category if sold alone, no issues. If u take home and put in your 10/22 or AR or whatever that is when you are breaking the law.