Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By gundoc
  • 1 Post By Seventenths
  • 1 Post By Steelisreal

Thread: Pistol Registry

Pistol Registry

Hello Guys

Does anyone have any knowledge of the process etc for getting a pistol off the pistol registry and into "A Cat" - thinking of the TC single shot Contender type scenario where there are rifle barrels available for them.

Cheers

When I had my B I think the local AO said to be once a "B" always a "B" of course if yuo had plenty of $$ you could try to convince them otherwise thru a laywer...........its all in the "interpretation" remember

Possibly cheaper to buy the whole rifle and leave the other on "b"? I know with the H&R rifle barrels for the Handi, the wohle rifle was very similar in cot to the barrel and when we looked into it for the Baikals they were the same price

I seem to remember for E cat, they required all sorts of hoops, but the law as it stood just required you to tell them. Everything else was made up, like the NZP are real good at
    Identify your target beyond all doubt

I know this sounds illogical to try and comply with the law (as opposed to some non-binding Police interpretation) but your TC Contender is only a 'pistol' when it complies with the definition in the Arms Act. If you fit a long barrel and a proper TC rifle butt stock then it is merely a single shot rifle that you can use on your standard FL. When you have used it thus, then replace the barrel and stock with the original pistol parts and put it back in your safe.
    erniec likes this.

Thanks @gundoc The issue is I don't hold a Pistol licence so the initial purchase is the problem . . .

As gundoc says if you swop out the barrel & pistol grip to rifle furniture making it longer than 762 mm then you have a rifle.

However... the serial number which I believe on the contender is on the action itself is still shown in the police system as “B Category” or whatever category it’s referred to as now.

I’d run your question past your local Arms Officer but it’s a good question.

Those T/C’s are great guns. Always wanted one in 7-30 Waters
    Steelisreal likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Seventenths View Post

Those T/C’s are great guns. Always wanted one in 7-30 Waters
    Me too! Not completely sure why as it's a bit of an oddball.

I suspect it might have been what the TC pistol I got to shoot at ram silhouettes at Tokoroa a very long time ago was chambered for. Open sighted handgun at 200m - was connecting too! Great experience.

Good luck @Tentman
    Seventenths likes this.

I have mentioned it to our local Arms Officer, who is a bloody good bloke. He said he had to refer questions like this to "AASDG in Wellington" but didn't know what the outcome would be - and they are shut down . . . .

Police AOs will usually try to deter you, as there is a truckload of paperwork for them to do..just stand your ground. My guy told me it couldn't be done..I said "yes it can!" It was. Knowing the pinpoint accuracy of the "C" register, you may see the changeover has occurred when you ask for your copy of their register..or you may not!