Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: Police draft : Consultation - Secure storage requirements for firearm licence holders

Police draft : Consultation - Secure storage requirements for firearm licence holders

As stated in the title, my wife found this hidden away where we couldn't find it.....

Consultation - Secure storage requirements for firearm licence holders | New Zealand Police

We have until December 1st to make comments to them regarding it.

One thing sticks out at me. There is separation of specifications for Rimfire and centre fire semi auto rifles. In the first section under "Wooden lockers and under Gun racks, it states

1) Used only for Shotguns and Bolt action rifles
    2) Not being used for the secure storage of centre fire or rim fire semi automatic rifles

Does this separation hint at a separation on endorsements to follow?

How is a Semi automatic 22 become more dangerous than a semi automatic shotgun? If it is suitable for one, why not the other?

this is a draft and they have implied that we have a chance to make a difference. Whther they will listen or not, your guess is as good as mine. But we can try.

"Feedback is to be provided to secure.storage.firearms@police.govt.nz (link sends e-mail) by 1 December 2017. Please put “Secure Storage” in the subject line of your email and please remember to advise which draft document you’re commenting on."
    gonetropo likes this.

Gone But Not Forgotten
    muza posted on the same subject a few hours ago.

https://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co....00/#post653670

I saw that post of muzzas,and noted the semi split. I suspect they will change the wording to all semi automatic a class firearms, in effect making a new class AA, or AE perhaps.
    It might make life a bit more difficult for renters.

Geeze there's some big changes in there! No mention of the crim though!
    gadgetman and tetawa like this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Hold on tight folks Nanny state that knows best is on its way!!!!
    Maca49, Boaraxa and gonetropo like this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    What a balls aching read that is. Caused me to make a couple of minor adjustments.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Quote Originally Posted by Rushy View Post
    What a balls aching read that is. Caused me to make a couple of minor adjustments.
    I’m sure you meant SMALL
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Quote Originally Posted by timattalon View Post
    As stated in the title, my wife found this hidden away where we couldn't find it.....

Consultation - Secure storage requirements for firearm licence holders | New Zealand Police

We have until December 1st to make comments to them regarding it.

One thing sticks out at me. There is separation of specifications for Rimfire and centre fire semi auto rifles. In the first section under "Wooden lockers and under Gun racks, it states

1) Used only for Shotguns and Bolt action rifles
    2) Not being used for the secure storage of centre fire or rim fire semi automatic rifles

Does this separation hint at a separation on endorsements to follow?

How is a Semi automatic 22 become more dangerous than a semi automatic shotgun? If it is suitable for one, why not the other?

this is a draft and they have implied that we have a chance to make a difference. Whther they will listen or not, your guess is as good as mine. But we can try.

"Feedback is to be provided to secure.storage.firearms@police.govt.nz (link sends e-mail) by 1 December 2017. Please put “Secure Storage” in the subject line of your email and please remember to advise which draft document you’re commenting on."
    so what about lever, pump, martini, muzzle loading, rolling block......................???
    clearly written by a muppet with no firearms knowledge.
    timattalon likes this.

Whilst I am ever suspicious of the folks in Bullshit Castle (Police National HQ) I think it is pathetic that it is legal to pass a chain around the rafters as secure storage

It looks like they are skirting all of the duckshooters who have bought semis and going after A-cat AR15s as well as any old Mini 14 owners and SKS's and whatnot

There could well be a market for DIY flatpack steel safes - pre cut the steel and have brackets that bolt them together from the inside - I reckon it would be a good business opportunity for someone..

Seems fair enough.

Having us all adhere to the proposed new regulation and then "X" time later to a new set seems to be more than a little bit pointless.

I wonder if the differentiation between semi automatic Rifles and shotguns is a reflection of the number of either in the hands of groups that have organised support for their recreational activity?Fish and Game vs "Rabbit shooters anonymous?".
    "Sixty percent of the time,it works every time"

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    I’m sure you meant SMALL
    Nah I had to rearrange the tackle while I was reading. Nothing small about it Maca. Ha ha ha ha you nit picking old bugger.
    Maca49 likes this.
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Anybody got a big, cheap safe, that will comply? I’ll need it!
    223nut likes this.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

They would need to reclassify all semi automatic rifles to make those proposed changes enforceable. Because what would be stopping somebody from buying an A cat semi? There are mutterings that this is something police will be pursuing, I am yet to hear anything official regarding that though. Totally retarded to try and differentiate A cat semi auto rifles from shotguns, or anything else really.
    timattalon likes this.

It seems that they are pursing this Acat "semi-auto" nonsense from any angle they can get. A short time ago it was in regards to importation and now it's to do with storage - What a coincidence.

my five bob says someone is gonna head to court and ask ye old judge to referee another bout .wonder if Hon justice Jillian Mallon is about .she provided the lads at rozzers hq with a very sharp feminine arse kicking when they attempted the infamous free standing pistol grip issue in classification of MSSA.

GunDoc-as a man of considerable experience in these issues whats your take on this are fears truly justified in respect of S/a vs bolt actions or is it in general an attempt to pander to semi hysterical public opinion.
    equally is anyone out there in comms with the crims -what do they think-oops sorry their firearms are pinched modified traded all with the "dont give a fuck dont apply to me suckers"
    WallyR likes this.