Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Police react to someone shooting on their own property

If it goes Boom; I'm there faregame's Avatar

Police react to someone shooting on their own property

Bit over the top!?

Armed police swoop seen as 'over the top' | Stuff.co.nz

Maybe we should have a licence for city people to live the in country

A simple call to the local cops prior letting them know his intentions would have helped.
    Survy likes this.
    Welcome to Sako club.

8o meters is fairly close to a nighbours dwelling tho, dont think i would have arced up with out checking with neighbours first?

Re: Police react to someone shooting on their own property

Ah the joys of urban sprawl...

Quote Originally Posted by SIKAHUNTER View Post
    Ah the joys of urban sprawl...
    Only too so.................
    When we purchased 18 years ago, we could see only two dwellings from our 4+hectare property. Now I can count 6 with more to come on the new adjoining subdivision, (where because of the minuscule sections), they will be building hard up against my boundary, Sigh..........

Invite the neighbours over for a shoot next time!

Yeah, getting to the stage where you can't shoot on your own land - must be damn frustrating. Happens often enough back in the UK that it doesn't make the papers when the Armed Response gets called out on a farmer popping bunnies, but guess as more of those little houses start popping up here...

4 HA isnt exactly a large property and if he has neighbours on his boundaries they will most likely ALL be within the potential fallout even from a shotgun

For me it was a seriously bad choice on his part to be shooting within 80M of houses and I would be fucking spewing if my neighbours started blazing away that close to the house. We hear shots pretty regularly here and opening day is like D-Day but its a case of where and how you shoot. Could he have: gone to a range, shot on the other boundary, gone to some DOC land, used a suppressed .22 like everybody else etc etc

Good idea.

7.62 rifle with a silencer
    Bad idea, if it's within 80m of another house, regardless of the suppressor, 7.62 packs a punch.

ebf
    Yup, would not have been impressed if I was his neighbor.

If the article is correct, they fired about 20 rounds of 7.62x39, not the most intelligent thing I've heard of, with houses that close by it is effectively urban.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Should have invited the neighbours over for a blast! I live semirural and when I moved in I went round the locals not only to introduce myself but ask if they had a possoms/rabbit or two to shoot. Now at least once a fortnight let of a few rounds (safely, ie into a dirt bank) if there ain't any varmits to dispose of. Neighbours know it's just me havin a blast and all's good.

More talkies over the fence = less explainies to the fuzz.

Yea when me and some mates set up a rough IPSC type course on a dairy farm I got the mate that lives on it to let all the neighbors within ear shot know that they would be hearing a lot of gun shots, so don't panic and call the cops. Sweet day, no dramas.

If it goes Boom; I'm there faregame's Avatar
    seems he thought about it - to extent of locking gate and signs

Never told the full story of course - i.e. what and where he was shooting (background in photo looks quite rough (not open farmland) - could well have been into a earth pit in a bank

I'd be rather unhappy if I was doing something (anything really) safely (legally) on my property and someone makes a "call" to the cops - we have rights as well!

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by faregame View Post
    I'd be rather unhappy if I was doing something (anything really) safely (legally) on my property and someone makes a "call" to the cops - we have rights as well!
    different strokes for different folks.

would you feel the same if it was your neighbor (shooting 80m from your house) doing this i.e. you on the receiving end ?
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

It's not like he's on a canterbury flat lifestyle block? Looks hilly and rural. Bloomin urban types moving out. I'd be pretty pissed off it I'd lived in a 10acre block and some yuppies moved out and told me I couldn't shoot the rabbits on my land. On the other hand, a 7.62 with a silencer is a bit silly. Shotgun shouldn't be.

Since when is discharging a firearm around buildings illegal. 75% of my rabbit killing is on a couple of farms where I specifically have to target those that live around farm buildings. 3 possums and 8 bunnies last night and most of those were within 80m of the buildings esp the possums.

Quote Originally Posted by scottrods View Post
    It's not like he's on a canterbury flat lifestyle block? Looks hilly and rural. Bloomin urban types moving out. I'd be pretty pissed off it I'd lived in a 10acre block and some yuppies moved out and told me I couldn't shoot the rabbits on my land. On the other hand, a 7.62 with a silencer is a bit silly. Shotgun shouldn't be.

Since when is discharging a firearm around buildings illegal. 75% of my rabbit killing is on a couple of farms where I specifically have to target those that live around farm buildings. 3 possums and 8 bunnies last night and most of those were within 80m of the buildings esp the possums.
    Arms Act 1983
    Public Act 1983 No 44
    Section 48

Arms Amendment Act 1992
    Public Act 1992 No 95
    Section 25

(There go's plinking bunnies from the kitchen window)